TA closure victim, any advice?

Oshkosh

Hi there, I booked my cruise in May 2009 on Royal through the TA that was all over this forum as closed down in FL ; I checked and my credit card company and Royal C. confirm that my entire deposit was paid straight to Royal C; Royal C was still not that familiar with the TA issue yet; the Royal Agent looked through my reservation, confirmed deposit was paid, added a few details that weren't there about sleeping arrangements/birthdays and then advised me to call back in Jan 2009 and make my payment direct to them. Do I need to literally "move" my reservation to Royal? any advantage to moving it to a TA? I am a little nervous even though I think I am very lucky. thanks:o

Hi there, I booked my cruise in May 2009 on Royal through the TA that was all over this forum as closed down in FL ; I checked and my credit card company and Royal C. confirm that my entire deposit was paid straight to Royal C; Royal C was still not that familiar with the TA issue yet; the Royal Agent looked through my reservation, confirmed deposit was paid, added a few details that weren't there about sleeping arrangements/birthdays and then advised me to call back in Jan 2009 and make my payment direct to them. Do I need to literally "move" my reservation to Royal? any advantage to moving it to a TA? I am a little nervous even though I think I am very lucky. thanks:o
I'd call RCL and have them take over the booking right away.

As long as you paid by credit card you are protected even if the TA was dishonest.

Some want to pay cash and it's a risk to do that. Someday they'll learn the hard way.

You can decide on whether or not you'd like a TA down the road.

I am also in the same situation, albeit with Holland America. On there forum there are a lot of responses about this. I am on an early Jan. cruise and am trying to work directly with HAL. They are alowing passengers to chose between them or a new TA. My final deposit was never paid. I think it would easier to try to solve the problem early. Good luck.

If I had just been through that - I think I'd stick with direct with RCCL.

I think your reservation already has been 'moved' to RCCL if they talked to you about it. Go to their website and get an account and do MY CRUISES - and it'll say doesn't see a reservation for you most likely - put in your confirmation number - and you should be able to see all the details. Keep control of your booking until right before final payment. Then - if you want - xfer it to a TA for some OBC or gift - but make sure that the charge is direct by RCCL and doesn't go through the TA.

I've never used a TA for this and other reasons. I know I've posted this before but maybe one more time. TA's add nothing to the economic equation. We are the travelers and RCCL is the cruise line. If I want something from Walgreens, I don't call up a service, give them money and send them to pick up my medicine for me. They aren't needed.

Most who don't share this view point out that TA's offer OBC, free insurance, a bottle of wine or Christmas cards so why not use them. This situation is a very good example why not to. I'm not sure, but my guess is that all the OBC's that this agency guaranteed will not be paid. Those bottles of wine won't appear in your cabin. Definitely won't get the Christmas card. The ship is still going to sail. Those that booked direct don't have to do anything but pack and go. All those reservations that that agency booked will have people doing a lot of extra work just to re-secure something they thought they already had. In the end, of course, they will still go on the cruise - but what a pain!

In these terrifying economic times, why take the chance and hire someone you don't really need to go on a cruise? This agency won't be the last to go out of business. If this downturn continues, those businesses that don't contribute anything to economic transactions will be the first to go. The TA's on this site will tell you that business has never been better. Their agency won't go under. TA's will be in existence forever.

No they won't. Once they become economically vulnerable, the cruise lines will no longer want them to be the major source of their bookings. They'll all want to control their traffic and volumes. Kind of like stock brokers - most have figured out that online investing where the investor is in absolute control is the best model during these and future times.

Peter

I've never used a TA for this and other reasons. I know I've posted this before but maybe one more time. TA's add nothing to the economic equation. We are the travelers and RCCL is the cruise line. If I want something from Walgreens, I don't call up a service, give them money and send them to pick up my medicine for me. They aren't needed.

Most who don't share this view point out that TA's offer OBC, free insurance, a bottle of wine or Christmas cards so why not use them. This situation is a very good example why not to. I'm not sure, but my guess is that all the OBC's that this agency guaranteed will not be paid. Those bottles of wine won't appear in your cabin. Definitely won't get the Christmas card. The ship is still going to sail. Those that booked direct don't have to do anything but pack and go. All those reservations that that agency booked will have people doing a lot of extra work just to re-secure something they thought they already had. In the end, of course, they will still go on the cruise - but what a pain!

In these terrifying economic times, why take the chance and hire someone you don't really need to go on a cruise? This agency won't be the last to go out of business. If this downturn continues, those businesses that don't contribute anything to economic transactions will be the first to go. The TA's on this site will tell you that business has never been better. Their agency won't go under. TA's will be in existence forever.

No they won't. Once they become economically vulnerable, the cruise lines will no longer want them to be the major source of their bookings. They'll all want to control their traffic and volumes. Kind of like stock brokers - most have figured out that on line investing where the investor is in absolute control is the best model during these and future times.

Peter

Cruise lines can go out of business too.....................I had a deposit with Premier who in 2000 when out of business if I remember correctly they left pax stranded, thankfully I only had to dispute my $750. deposit through my credit card company..........

True, but I do believe my insurance will pay if either RCCL or JetBlue (carrier default) go out of business - but they wouldn't pay if I paid the TA and the TA went out of business.

Cruise lines can go out of business too.....................I had a deposit with Premier who in 2000 when out of business if I remember correctly they left pax stranded, thankfully I only had to dispute my $750. deposit through my credit card company..........

No they won't. Once they become economically vulnerable, the cruise lines will no longer want them to be the major source of their bookings. They'll all want to control their traffic and volumes. Kind of like stock brokers - most have figured out that online investing where the investor is in absolute control is the best model during these and future times.

Peter

You're making this out to be a lot worse than it is. One phone call would resolve the whole thing.

Most credit cards have a limit on how long after you can dispute a charge card transaction - usually 60 days or so. I put a deposit down almost a year in advance. If final payment is due 70 days out - could be too long. And credit card companies are notoriously cheap and difficult to get anything out of - I have little doubt I'd have more luck and faster making the claim against my travel insurance.

If you pay by credit card you are protected. Insurance has nothing to do with it.

Then there was Renaissance. Fortunately, we only lost airline points!! We were able to recover all else back from our credit card company!!

Rick

If it were me, I would stick with having the reservation through RC.....you will have control of the reservation.

I never book with a TA, I like having ownership of the reservation where I can call RC- 7 days a week - so I can make changes and ask any questions I may have. Going with a TA the cruise line won't even talk to you! :eek:

Sorry, but I love my TA and the $400. OBC that I used on my last cruise made for alot of happy drinks. It sure is nice to use that seapass and not worry about a bill afterwards.

$400!!! Must have been an expensive cruise. My last cruise was booked through a TA I got NOTHING and the one before I got $50. I just don't spend enough to get enough. I would rather be in charge of my reservation.

OP.......This one I would book through RCI just for piece of mind.

But I defiantly think TA's are the way to go to get OBC.

I have been very pleased with mine, but still keep control until final payment.

But I will say in the environment right now with so many drops after final payment it might be a benefit to keep bookings with RCI and forgo the OBC, if it is mininal...I have a booking in Jan that I am getting $720 I'll take my chances with my TA.

True, but I do believe my insurance will pay if either RCCL or JetBlue (carrier default) go out of business - but they wouldn't pay if I paid the TA and the TA went out of business.

If you pay by credit card you are protected. Insurance has nothing to do with it.

Most credit cards have a limit on how long after you can dispute a charge card transaction - usually 60 days or so. I put a deposit down almost a year in advance. If final payment is due 70 days out - could be too long. And credit card companies are notoriously cheap and difficult to get anything out of - I have little doubt I'd have more luck and faster making the claim against my travel insurance.

If you put a deposit that is refundable why would you purchase insurance a year out? Yes, I know you can transfer it to another booking but what a hassle.

You can dispute charges longer than sixy days.....I put a deposit down on something that was not delivered as long as I sign it over to the credit card company they will fight to get the money back and will credit me what I am owed. I have had more then one situation like this with both Citi-bank and Chase both have been great.

Archived