cruise personalizer: invalid passport number

johno95

My wife obtained a passport card (looks like a driver's license) in addition to the traditional passport booklet. It's good for travel to the Caribbean, Canada, and Mexico. (We are going to the Carib.)

When going to Princess' cruise personalizer to register for our cruise, it said the passport number was invalid. However, the number from her booklet was deemed ok.

Anyone have that experience or know anything about this? Please don't tell me that we won't need to show the passport at Carib ports. My wife paid extra for the card, she would like to register with Princess using it. She would like to use it when going through Customs, and leave the booklet at home.

Thanks. :)

My wife obtained a passport card (looks like a driver's license) in addition to the traditional passport booklet. It's good for travel to the Caribbean, Canada, and Mexico. (We are going to the Carib.)

When going to Princess' cruise personalizer to register for our cruise, it said the passport number was invalid. However, the number from her booklet was deemed ok.

Anyone have that experience or know anything about this? Please don't tell me that we won't need to show the passport at Carib ports. My wife paid extra for the card, she would like to register with Princess using it. She would like to use it when going through Customs, and leave the booklet at home.

Thanks. :)

It's possible that Princess' system hasn't been upgraded to deal with the new format. I'd call 1-800-Princess and talk to a rep. They should be able to deal with it...

I wouldn't leave the booklet at home...because it's my understanding that the card isn't usable for air transportation into the U.S. Heaven forbid you would need to fly home from the islands or possibly miss your boat at the last port, but if you would...without the booklet you would be in a bind.

I cannot imagine why someone would get a Passport card, who already has a Passport booklet. The only reason to get the card is to save a few bucks...why get both?

And as UKBBALLFAN states, a passport card cannot be used for air travel.

Steve

For the passport card, you would have to fill out your immigration form like you would if you were going to just use your birth certificate to get on. Then at the pier, they will verify your info from you passport card. If you both have passports though, I would carry them for back-up. We have the passport cards as a convenience for driving across the Canadian border but they are nice for cruises because they fit in your wallet and are easier to have with you when you are in port and your passport can stay in the safe.

From the US State Department's web site:

THE U.S. PASSPORT CARD

We began production of the U.S. Passport Card on July 14. To date, we have received and adjudicated well over 350,000 applications for the U.S. Passport Card. Customers who submitted an application for the U.S. Passport Card prior to production, will receive their Passport Card between now and early September.

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

What is the passport card?

The passport card is a wallet-size card that can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card will provide a less expensive, smaller, and more convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

Why can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card is designed for the specific needs of the northern and southern border resident communities and is not a globally interoperable travel document as is the traditional passport book. While the passport card has limited use, the passport book will remain the premier internationally accepted travel document.

There is a need for a passport if something happens of course. It is their decision if they want to use the passport card to travel with on the cruise ship. Under normal circumstances, they won't need their passport. They are adults and can make that decision for themselves, that is why I recommended (if they both have a passport) to have it as a back up.

johno95--King Neptune is correct, the Princess online system does not recognize a passport card number; your wife will have to process that directly at the pier if that is how she wishes to use her documents.

Princess is aware that the cards do not work within the system but it's anyone's guess as to when or even if the computer will be re-programmed to accept them. Using a passport card requires an additional verification that the document is acceptable for use on that particular cruise, but a passport book does not.

I would not leave the booklet at home. God forbid, if you have an emergency and have to fly home, or fly to the next port of call, the card is not valid for flight. You need a Passport booklet to do this. Why take that risk? Even if you do have the card, and your booklet safely stored in your cabin safe, it won't help you if (oops) you missed the boat, or had an emergency that requires you to fly to the next port of call or to home. We always take our original passport booklet with us when in port, even in the Caribbean.

DH and I both have passport CARDS. When trying to enter in the data online, it was not accepted. I called Princess and was told their system does not accept them yet, but its NOT A PROBLEM. Just bring it with you when you check in and everything will be fine. I was also told that we won't need any additional documentation with our cards. Passport cards ARE WHTI compliant.

The US Government says this about Passport Cards:

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

CURRENTLY:

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

Princess may never upgrade the system. I believe that' date=' starting in June, 2009, you WILL need a passport to cruise to/from the US.[/quote']Not correct, you may also use a passport card OR on closed loop cruises, you may still use a BC/ID. Please see DHS link below.

I was also told that we won't need any additional documentation with our cards. Passport cards ARE WHTI compliant.
As are BC and DL on most (closed loop) cruises.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#3

Archived