Room Service on APT ie Amadante Amalegro etc

eedee2

Thanks Pat. I know that Scenic do offer room service for meals as they have butlers for their suites. And then the butlers are available for tea and coffee in their top deck staterooms but not for meals in this category. In the APT brochure it does state Room service in cat A and owners suites but it doesn't specify if this is just for tea and coffee. Sounds like that's all it must be if you have travelled with them. It looks like we may have to settle for scenic as we really want the option of eating in our room for some evenings. I don't like the idea of queing and fighting for seats at dinner time every night for 14 days as it seems this is what happens on river cruises!:eek:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the room service menu is available for dinner and lunch as well as breakfast in the category A and owners suites on the APT boats? Is ok to have all evening meals in your room if needed?

Just an observation... The Amadagio and Amalegro are part of Amadeus Waterways and have Junior Suites, not real Owners Suites. As mentioned in another post, APT would just block rooms on that particular cruise.

Here's a photo from the AMA website of one of their Junior Suites.

ama10.jpg

We never saw room service as an option on the Amadagio (sister ship). No dining tables in the rooms, so no place to set a meal up. At lunch there was a "quick dining" option in the lounge, and I suspect you could take your plate back to your room, if you really wanted to, but again, no place to put it once you got back in your room.

On our last AMA Christmas Markets cruise someone at our dining table tried to bring a plate back to the room. Before she got to the dining room exit the staff asked to be allowed to deliver it for her.

WIT

Scenic cruises have no ships that you named. The ones named belong to AMA formerly known as Amadeus. Scenic is in its inaugral season and has a few threads on this board. The other lines have no room service menues. Afternoon tea is served in the lounge on many lines--usually if cruising during this time. Most lines have buffet breakfasts and lunches and a plated or served dinner. There is usually something that can be ordered from the menu at bkfst and lunch. You have probably been looking at the Scenic brochures. Good luck finding something that suits your needs. Pat

Hi Pat

The brochure that I have from APT that uses Amadente, Amalgro amongst others does state that they have room service in the Cat A and owners suites and that is what my question is about. Does room service mean you can order and eat in your room? When I was referring to the Scenic ships I did mean the Sapphire etc ( Sorry I had not clearly expressed myself)- however I am under the belief that ONLY in their Royal Suites you can order breakfast and dinner in your room??? (Does anyone know if this is correct?) I had previously been looking at the Scenic cruises but am a bit concerned about all the bad posts concerning the company.

eedee2,

Have looked all through the online brochure for AMA--can't find anything pro or con about room service. Have you TA clarify it with APT. We are traveling with AMA next Sept. in Portugal. Will be interested to find out the answer you get. Pat

The answer reads as follows: Suite & Cabin A- room service: Breakfast- passengers need to order breakfast meal night prior. Dinner - passengers need to order dinner meal in the morning hours, before leaving ship for the day touring.

• 3 months later...
APT rents blocks of rooms on boats. Been on 6 river cruises--only time their was a meal in room was if someone was ill. Their has never been a room rervice menuon the lines we have been on. Pat

Hi, we're thinking of booking a June or July Budapest-Amsterdam river cruise with APT. Please clarify what do you mean "APT rents blocks of rooms on boats". We may use their Sound of Music or MS Excellence. Thanks for your help.

APT does not own any boats, therefore it leases blocks of cabins with certain lines, namely Amadeus, not AMAwaterways, and other lines. Did not look up the Excellence, but will google her for you. Pat

Thanks Pat. I managed to find some reviews (not very good ones) re Sound of Music but at yet none on ms Excellence. It appears to me the other ships that APT leased from Amadeus Waterways are better.

Just for clarification, Amadeus is NOW AMA Waterways.

APT is just a tour company that sells space on the AMA ships.

Just like Trafalgar will sell space on the Uniworld ships, as they have the same parent company.

You can book with a tour company, but when you're on board the ship, you're the same as any other person that booked direct with the cruiseline or through a TA. Everyone is treated the same and with the same level of service and quality.

For someone that is looking for the kind of pampering that goes with room service, butlers, etc., most of the river cruiselines are not what you're looking for.

I think that there might be 1 or 2 that are more luxury than the rest, but most of these cruises are of a more laidback, relaxing, one class experience.

From my experience, it's the kind of travel product that makes you want to spend time with your travelling companions. Part of the joy of the trip for me, was to spend mealtimes sitting with different people all the time and getting to know my fellow passengers.

After all, the types of people that you generally find on a river cruise, is a very well travelled, interesting person. It is not the kind of cruise that you will find your first time traveller on.

On another note, I never found a fight for a seat at dinner every night. Some people will head for the window tables, but the view is good from most tables.

Just for clarification, Amadeus is NOW AMA Waterways.

APT is just a tour company that sells space on the AMA ships.

Just like Trafalgar will sell space on the Uniworld ships, as they have the same parent company.

You can book with a tour company, but when you're on board the ship, you're the same as any other person that booked direct with the cruiseline or through a TA. Everyone is treated the same and with the same level of service and quality.

For someone that is looking for the kind of pampering that goes with room service, butlers, etc., most of the river cruiselines are not what you're looking for.

Thanks for your clarification/advice. We're not also enquering about room service as eedee2 who started this thread. We're more interested in how other CCs found the ships the Sound of Music and ms Excellence which APT also lease but they are not AMA ships. We're a bit concerned and hesitated to go ahead as, unlike other river cruise ships, I can only find a (not too good) report on Sound of Music, as below, and none on ms Excellence http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=845947&highlight=sound+music

eedee2,

Have looked all through the online brochure for AMA--can't find anything pro or con about room service. Have you TA clarify it with APT. We are traveling with AMA next Sept. in Portugal. Will be interested to find out the answer you get. Pat

We sailed with Amadeus 2 years ago in Europe for a 7 day cruise.Five star all the way. The ship was lovely,the crew were excellent, the food was wonderful, and the tour,s were first class.I can highly recommend them and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Pam

Archived