CC'ers in California.......

sail7seas

Thank you for thinking of us in Southern California. I live about 70 miles from the devestation...which was front page news today....in the High Desert. We have had our close calls in the Victor Valley, and my prayers go out those affected. If you have never experienced black sky and falling ash, consider yourself fortunate.

Karen

We came down to Orange County to visit our daughter in Fullerton ( she was in "Opera Scenes" at the University) to celebrate Thanksgiving early. We are staying near Disneyland. Ashes were falling from the fire all over the property. My son left to go to the High Desert about 1:30 and he arrived at work after 7:00. usually a 1 1/2 hour drive. Needless to say his boss wasn't happy. Oh well, we'll get over it. Next crisis please. We just went through earthquake awareness "the Great Shakeout" maybe that's next. If it's not one thing it's another.

Thanks for the well wishings.

We are thick skinned in California...we have to be.

I am fortunately not too near the fires -- about 25 miles away -- but as I drove up the 73 yesterday for lunch with friends and went over the hill north towards Newport, the entire sky in the distance, both north and east was covered with smoke. It extended all the way out over the ocean towards Catalina. I was able to see Santiago Canyon fire last year from my patio, which was devastating to see. The scarey thing about this fire is that even if you don't live in a fire zone area or one that is prone to wildfires, the embers from these fires are jumping up to 3 miles (!!) away and setting homes on fire in the middle of communities so literally no one is safe. :(

Thanks Sails for you concerns. We live about 10 miles south of the Yorba Linda fire's but we're fine. Lucky for us the smoke is heading straight out to sea, which misses us by a few miles, so no ash, no smoke. Our prayers go out to all those who have lost their house, it is so sad......and especially because of the holidays coming up, but then their is no good time to have your home destroyed and to lose all those personal memento's.

Thank you Sails, we live 10 miles from the Sylmar and Granada Hills fire. Woke up this morning with ash all over the cars and the air is horrible. We had family evacuated in the Sylmar fire but now back at home. My niece is near the Anaheim Hills fire but winds have changed so they are now safe for the time being. We have lots of family near Chino. Our prayers are for everyone and especially for the brave firefighters.

Kathy

Thanks for everyone's concern. All over the Los Angeles basin you can see and smell the smoke; it appears as a huge hazy ring around the sun (or the moon) and the air is very brown. The odor is of wood smoke. We're quite a distance from the fires--at least 50 miles--but in addition to the fine grey ash on our yards/walks/cars (if you park outside) there are literally billions of little black pieces too. They are about a half-inch long each, and as thin as slivers; they fall apart if you try to pick one up. But they are coming from the fire too, and we feel like we ought to be sweeping them up and returning them to somebody as we're sure it's what's left of some peoples' houses. When it's just brush burning the fine grey ash is what we usually see; I've never seen so many of these black slivers as this time.

Thanks for all the wishes. Like Pathfinder I live about 10-15 miles south of the fires in OC. My brother lives right in the path and the clubhouse in his development burned. So far his home is safe. Friends moved out of state a few years ago. The fires hit their old neighborhood pretty hard and several of their friends lost their homes.

(Pathfinder, we are in RSM, what city are you in?)

Archived