Princess Air....LA to Sydney

GoVolsTB

We are booked on the Star Princess next November. We have Princess air booked from LA to Sydney. I know we will have to pay an air deviation fee because we are going in early but I am wondering if other cruisers that have booked such air can comment on which air line Princess normally used. We would like to book Qantas, second choice would be Air New Zealand. Do not want to pay any additional fees. Hopefully just the air deviation. Thanks for any help any one can offer.

We are booked on the Star Princess next November. We have Princess air booked from LA to Sydney. I know we will have to pay an air deviation fee because we are going in early but I am wondering if other cruisers that have booked such air can comment on which air line Princess normally used. We would like to book Qantas, second choice would be Air New Zealand. Do not want to pay any additional fees. Hopefully just the air deviation. Thanks for any help any one can offer.

They don't use any specific airline, they do use the one they can get the best deal on.

We have flown with cruise air several times and have flown Air New Zealand, United, Singapore Air in the past. Stay away from United flights, they are absolutely the worst for international to/from AU we have found, simply awful. Singapore air is very good and I would rate it better than Air New Zealand, or we have found it that way in the past.

You can request your airline of choice, but as you seem to already know, there can be other fees involved if the flight is more expensive.

No way to tell without you requesting it which one you will end up on if you leave it up to Princess to make the choice. Those flying this month could be on several different carriers, and who knows what it will be by next year?

We've done that cruise twice, and used Princess Air both times. In 2004, LA to Sydney, we flew back on Qantas and AA. In 2006, Sydney to SFO, we flew down on UA. I don't remember one as being preferable to the other; however, Qantas was religiously checking carry-on baggage weight on the flight from Sydney to LA (maybe because it was Dec 23, but I think those flights are packed, every flight, every day, so that might not be it).

It's a great cruise...enjoy!

We flew United from SF to Sydney; our bags flew from L.A. to Sydney. Fortunately they were waiting for us and we didn't know about it until after the fact. So much for you and your luggage being on the same flight. United would be my airline of last resort.

Quite a few people from our Sapphire Princess roll call last April booked on Hawaiian Airlines; one-way was under $700 and the seats and food were very good. Yes, it wasn't direct and we had a stopover in Honolulu but in a way, that was good because it gave us a chance to stretch our legs and walk around. I booked Business Class on this flight and it was no better than if I'd booked coach. The seats didn't go back more than a few inches and there wasn't a real footrest; it was money totally wasted, I should have booked coach as I would have been more comfortable for a heck of a lot less.

I sailed on the Sapphire Princess last April -- Sydney to L.A. I flew from LAX to Sydney on United, non-stop. I purchased my own Economy ticket on United and used miles to upgrade to Business Class which was wonderful. Good food, good service, comfy wide seat which reclined almost flat. Individual entertainment center at each seat with TV shows, movies, games, etc. Arrived well rested in the early morning in Sydney where I used Princess transfer to my hotel. Very easy. Driver gave us a narrated tour of Sydney on way from airport to hotel. I would use United again if I could fly Business Class.

Archived