Pet peeve-Cell phone etiquette!

remydiva

:mad: Just back from the Golden 14 day Hawaii cruise and for some reason, the cell phone etiquette fairy did NOT sprinkle her dust over many many MANY of the passengers on board.

The second we docked at Hilo after four sea days, the masses flipped open their phones with the same hunger as a man crossing the desert with no water!! People spoke loudly on their balconies, by the poolside, in the common areas with such inane reports to land as 'Hi it's Nana and there's sure a lot of water here' or how about the lady who put her call on speaker phone so we got to hear BOTH sides of the conversation as she instructed someone on how to transfer $500 via email!

I contacted Passenger Services and the CD who both agreed that cell phone etiquette needed to be put in the Patter as a reminder that 'in consideration of others', etc. The CD said that there used to be such a pamphlet left in each stateroom but in all my cruises, I've never seen one.

Have others found cell phone use/abuse to have increased to the annoying level or was it just THIS cruise???

Reminds me of our Tahitian Alaska cruise this past July. There was a lady in the cabin next to us who, at each port, spent almost the entire day talking loudly into her cell while on her balcony......each time we stepped out, she was there yaking.

It was embarassing to be out there and have to hear the inane conversation.

I agree.:(

I used to work in a shop. My pet hate was a customer coming in, you stepped forward to serve them then found they were either on their phone or it then rang and they answered it. Instead of cutting it short they would ramble on while you stood there.

I would disappear round the backshop and pretend to be busy when they finally remembered why they were there.

It is so rude expecting others to listen to your call.

I have one which I take on my cruises but I phone from my cabin or in port.

After 5 days at sea, those passengers were probably calling the American Embassy to find out where to exchange their dollars. Oh, that's right. Hawaii is now a state.:)
ROFL! Yup. FYI, hope you're nowhere near the fires and are staying safe.

I've had several experiences with people using their cell phone and being just plain rude. Like the OP, it was in HI as we were docking and a couple were yelling into their phone to their little kids all about the water, the dock, the sun, the sky, the birds, etc., all in baby talk in a loude voice.

Another time was on a ship's tour from Casablanca to Marrakech, which was almost a 4-hour drive on a bus through the desert. The bus' A/C quit as we were getting out of Casablanca so we endured 100+ temperatures in the bus for the drive. No only did we have a tour guide give us a 3-hour lecture on Islam, but some guy was on his satellite phone to the office while he wheeled and dealed (he was obviously a real estate lawyer from his conversation); the two competed with each other so that as one raised their voice, the other raised his. Eek! It was awful. The bus wasn't fixed for the trip back to Casablanca so it was a really unholy tour. And yes, the cruiseline gave us a hefty refund on the tour.

The only time I've used my phone on deck was several years ago when you didn't get coverage inside; my adult daughter had had a seizure and had just gotten home from the hospital, and I wanted to hear her voice and make sure she was OK. (She was.)

Have others found cell phone use/abuse to have increased to the annoying level or was it just THIS cruise???

Unfortunately, it's everywhere. I don't know why some people feel the need to yell into a cell phone. Then there are those who don't think anyone around them can hear their conversations and go in to the most private details of their lives! Amazing.

Not being of the cell phone generation and not having interest in the device unless an emergency as in life or death. I have found people now just chat away on ships. Ours are turned off and live in the safe for the entire cruise. Vacation is to get away.

I do know younger people are into such things. That is why family get togethers I collect the phones at the door and return them upon leaving. I don't show up to watch you talk on the phone or text another person. That is bad manners.

People talk on the phones during muster drills now. I answer the phone at work and home, if I never hear a phone ring on vacation it is a good vacation. If I can not leave for a week or two a year without being bothered I better own the business or be paid more than the owner. Cause I never call my boss when he is on vacation.

The only time I've used my phone on deck was several years ago when you didn't get coverage inside; my adult daughter had had a seizure and had just gotten home from the hospital, and I wanted to hear her voice and make sure she was OK. (She was.)

Now, that is, absolutely, an acceptable reason to use your cell phone!

Unfortunately it is on every single cruise thqt we have been on. it is amazing just as soon as we dock, my gosh people come out of the woodwork, on their balconies, decks, etc. and start yacking and for some reason talk LOUD. A lady next door was out on her balcony yelling away.

Marilyn

Most of the time we are in foreign ports so it isn't so bad, but I do notice anytime we are back into the USA on a cruise, cell phones are just everywhere. I am always so glad to be on vacation and not use my cell phone nor check email nor post on these boards. That's the other thing I don't get, and don't get me wrong, as I enjoy reading people's "live" posts, but I do not understand why anyone would even want to go near a computer on vacation. I'm glad some do because I do enjoy reading the live reports, but I would never even think of doing that. :eek:

I love your idea of collecting phones at the door! Gosh, people will have to talk to the people there, instead of on the phone!

Yes, lots of LOUD talk on ships, balconies, even in the public bathrooms!

And yes, most of it inane 'stuff'. Don't know why callers subject us

to their shouted nonsense. The same happens on planes, as soon as

we get there, all the phones come out, and they go on about:

yes, we're here, but still on the plane, don't know how long it will

take to get our luggage, I'll call you when we get our luggage,

how's the weather (which the pilot just gave), etc etc etc

Not being of the cell phone generation and not having interest in the device unless an emergency as in life or death. I have found people now just chat away on ships. Ours are turned off and live in the safe for the entire cruise. Vacation is to get away.

I do know younger people are into such things. That is why family get togethers I collect the phones at the door and return them upon leaving. I don't show up to watch you talk on the phone or text another person. That is bad manners.

People talk on the phones during muster drills now. I answer the phone at work and home, if I never hear a phone ring on vacation it is a good vacation. If I can not leave for a week or two a year without being bothered I better own the business or be paid more than the owner. Cause I never call my boss when he is on vacation.

I love your idea of collecting phones at the door! Gosh, people will have to talk to the people there, instead of on the phone!

Yes, lots of LOUD talk on ships, balconies, even in the public bathrooms!

And yes, most of it inane 'stuff'. Don't know why callers subject us

to their shouted nonsense. The same happens on planes, as soon as

we get there, all the phones come out, and they go on about:

yes, we're here, but still on the plane, don't know how long it will

take to get our luggage, I'll call you when we get our luggage,

how's the weather (which the pilot just gave), etc etc etc

Do you think that there is a possiblity that they could collect the walkie-talkie too. I run a business of 20 employees and never has anyone heard me talking on a cell phone when I am on a cruise I do it quickly and quietly. Some people actually know how to use them and they are not to find out how the weather is (unless you run a forest fire fighting or flood rescue business). Just my personal thoughts.:eek:

some time s a person who has diffulicty hearing speaks louder then those who dont have hearing problems... to us they are screaming , even hearing aides dont work well with cell phones or house phones ,

as far as using cell phones i do call home once in port to check on my rescue to make sure all animals are in good health and no problems,,, and to check on my aging mother , i also know about loud speaking because my husband is deaf , hearing aides wont repair the damage vetiam did to his hearing .. some times calls have to be made.,, just like now those that are on a cruise and the fire again in los angles i dont blame them for wanting to make sure they have a home to go back too/.... so give the people a break ...

some time s a person who has diffulicty hearing speaks louder then those who dont have hearing problems... to us they are screaming , even hearing aides dont work well with cell phones or house phones ,

as far as using cell phones i do call home once in port to check on my rescue to make sure all animals are in good health and no problems,,, and to check on my aging mother , i also know about loud speaking because my husband is deaf , hearing aides wont repair the damage vetiam did to his hearing .. some times calls have to be made.,, just like now those that are on a cruise and the fire again in los angles i dont blame them for wanting to make sure they have a home to go back too/.... so give the people a break ...

I really don't think the OP was talking about the fire in LA and neither was I. It was a general discussion on how to use a cell phone.:eek:

After 5 days at sea, those passengers were probably calling the American Embassy to find out where to exchange their dollars. Oh, that's right. Hawaii is now a state.:)
Don't think it doesn't happen! We had someone on the balcony next to us complaining loudly on her phone that she didn't buy anything because, "Everything was priced in US dollars so there were no deals." Amazing...:rolleyes:

I'm one of those people that when I'm on vacation...The cell is either left at home or locked in the safe for when we disembark at the END of the cruise. I'm on the darn thing enough with work etc and I'm sure as heck won't be on it while I'm on vacation.

For those that have them in an emergency or other such circumstances that's entirely understandable. Our family knows if they HAVE to reach us on a cruise, to call the ship and leave us an emergency message.

It simply amazes me sometimes that there are so many out there that all they want to do is live via the cell phone...and I used to sell them...lol.

Warren

When I was in the showband on the Star I brought in a cordless UHF microphone that clamped onto the bell of my saxophone, and carefully cleared it with the sound guy in the Princess Theatre and the various people who handle onboard communication so I wouldn't louse anything up by using the mic. What I didn't count on (and neither did anyone else) was that someone was using UHF walkie-talkies onboard to communicate among a large group of passengers. Sure enough, up comes the curtain and we're welcoming the entertainer when through the speakers for all to hear, "We're up in Horizon Court. Better get up here, because there aren't any lines." I pulled off the cordless sax mic, pulled my flute mic forward, and that was the last time I used my cordless on the ship.

Archived