Taxes & Port Charges

seashells08

Does anyone know how they figure this in the total price? The reason I am asking is that Harrah's in Atlantic City gave me a "free" cruise for two, would just have to pay taxes and port charges for an inside room - so I look up the price, it's $755 pp. So, now I make my call to book, they want to charge me $349.04 pp. How can that be? Not saying it isn't a great deal, just far from being free. Any input would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how they figure this in the total price? The reason I am asking is that Harrah's in Atlantic City gave me a "free" cruise for two, would just have to pay taxes and port charges for an inside room - so I look up the price, it's $755 pp. So, now I make my call to book, they want to charge me $349.04 pp. How can that be? Not saying it isn't a great deal, just far from being free. Any input would be appreciated.

How long is your cruise, and how many ports will the ship visit? Not knowing that, there wouldn't be a way to figure out whether the $349 is reasonable (I'm assuming the cruise itself is the $755 pp price you quoted?) Each port does charge a fee per person on the ship, and that charge is passed on to the customer.

I did find this on line -- a 3 night cruise with Holland America -- taxes and port fees came to $181.60... (this was an on-line travel agent outlining the costs for a customer).

The cruise prices you see include port charges. Only taxes and fees are added in. You can pretend to book a cruise and the taxes will come up and subtract $50 to $60 more per port the cruise visits.

i.e. on some of these cruises that have been heavily reduced the actual cruise portion is often less than $100 pp after you subtract the port charges from the cruise price. Iv got a cruise on Ecstasy that I know is now less than that. The TAs only get paid on the commissionable part of the cruise.

So, once you subtract port charges, you are not saving as much as you probably are expecting if they are putting you into a inside cabin.

Thanks for your replys.

Uppitycats - March 21st (winter) 7 day cruise out of NY; Port Canavral, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau & Grand Bahama Island, back to NY.

Firefly, that's what I was thinking, if port charges and taxes are so high, the cruise can't be making any money; sounds like it's costing them money.

Archived