Problem with upcoming cruise ?

SenAnthony

I find this odd too. I've never been pregnant, but everyone that I know of who has been or is pregnant can't wait to tell everyone that they're going to have a baby...so waiting until the 28th week just seems off to me. All I know is that if I were pregnant and didn't tell my mother until the 3rd trimester I'd never hear the end of it.

My sister told me as soon as she peed on the stick!

My sister told me as soon as she peed on the stick!

My sister wanted to wait until Christmas, and she did... she waited almost a month!! And had to see us A LOT!! She said she would never do it again... I can't imagine 20+ weeks!!!!

I think the problem is not 'with an upcoming cruise' its that your sister is getting you in the middle of something and you know the right thing to do and dont want to mess up the familys trip. How are you possibly going to enjoy it if you are worried about her having early labor or a premature baby the whole time. What if she gets sick from the motion, or something she eats, or there is a breakout of nori virus, or she has to take a crowded tender to an island.... If it was me, and my sister, I would notify the cruise line ahead of time (yes, I would). Other than the baby, which might not have been planned/expected or whatever due to the comment she hasnt told anyone she is pregnant, who in the family would go with her if she has to get airlifted or are you still going to enjoy yourself after the ship turns around and everyone else, has to deal with a problem. Are you going to be with her every second, since the other family members dont know what is happening if she passes out or something. I just dont understand how you are going to enjoy yourself at all, because she is being crazy. Invite all the family to a baby shower the day you get off the ship, and she can see them all then, even if she has to miss the reunion.

I wonder how humans survived this long.....oh how did we ever survive without the last 30 years of medical developments??????????????

You don't need a doctor to deliver a baby. Heck, some people chose to have their baby at home with a midwife.

One case comes to mind of a woman that delivered her child at home, by herself, and never went to the hospital. Guess what? The baby is still alive....

Please show a little bit more intelligence and common sense when giving advice to someone who might be putting at risk the life of their unborn baby for the sake of 4 days of fun....

QUOTE FROM: islndtme I think the problem is not 'with an upcoming cruise' its that your sister is getting you in the middle of something and you know the right thing to do and dont want to mess up the familys trip. How are you possibly going to enjoy it if you are worried about her having early labor or a premature baby the whole time. What if she gets sick from the motion, or something she eats, or there is a breakout of nori virus, or she has to take a crowded tender to an island.... If it was me, and my sister, I would notify the cruise line ahead of time (yes, I would). Other than the baby, which might not have been planned/expected or whatever due to the comment she hasnt told anyone she is pregnant, who in the family would go with her if she has to get airlifted or are you still going to enjoy yourself after the ship turns around and everyone else, has to deal with a problem. Are you going to be with her every second, since the other family members dont know what is happening if she passes out or something. I just dont understand how you are going to enjoy yourself at all, because she is being crazy. Invite all the family to a baby shower the day you get off the ship, and she can see them all then, even if she has to miss the reunion.

I agree totally! Too many things can happen on the cruise that could jump-start labor! A nori virus, the movement of the ship, a fall, a tender ride, etc... she can't be in full control of every moment her body undergoes! And HOW can you or your family possibly enjoy yourselves if you're worrying about her going into premature labor? I know I couldn't! I would imagine she kept this a secret because she KNEW what the rules were for pregnant women being denied boarding after 24 weeks! No matter, though, you must do the RIGHT THING and call carnival now! Before the time arrives and she tries to 'lie' to the cruise officials! And I agree with one of the other posters when she said to tell her dr to 'lie' on his official document stating that she is less than 24 weeks along! I bet he won't do this no matter what! (and to be honest with the way this woman is acting now, I'm not too sure that her dr said any of that anyway!) Could be her way of trying to 'convince' the family that she has permission to go on this cruise!! Please do the right thing and stop her for her baby's sake if not for her... Besides which, could you or any of your family members live with yourselves if something did happen and the worst became a reality??? Could she???

Again the cruise is now just a three weeks away.

Anyone else cruising in about three weeks? (Thankfully, my cruise leaves in four weeks!) I know if I were leaving around this time, I would want to know if this woman was planning on cruising on my ship! (I'm sure the OP will not reveal the details of the cruise for fear of being turned in to the cruise line.) Well, at least if anyone gets "mysteriously" rerouted, you might have a clue as to why!

Hey wait a minute...Maybe it would be a great idea for the OP to share the details of the trip and let this "work itself out"! Then when the sister is denied boarding, the OP can HONESTLY say..."I did not turn you in!!! And I have no idea who did!!!"

Here's my psychic prediction for 5 weeks from now....A newspaper headline that reads.."Woman Sues Cruiseline Over Pregnancy Complications". On the bright side, this woman could probably qualify for a Stella Award.

your sister is being sort of selfish, I have seen no other posts with my view because i am usually not Politically Correct but she (The One) can ruin the cruise for the Many by being selfish. I would be pretty pissed if the baot or my vacation had to get rerouted and if i found out it was due to that reason not a reason that coulde not be prevented IE a heart attack I would be real pissed

Did you read the whole thread? I have stated several times how selfish she is and it is unfair to the thousands of other passengers who are not paying for their cruise to be re-routed because some dimwit thought the rules did not apply to her...

Did you read the whole thread? I have stated several times how selfish she is and it is unfair to the thousands of other passengers who are not paying for their cruise to be re-routed because some dimwit thought the rules did not apply to her...

Careful, I stated the same thing, only a little nicer, and mine got zapped :eek: So I am thinking we should try to be a little more gentle :)

Careful, I stated the same thing, only a little nicer, and mine got zapped :eek: So I am thinking we should try to be a little more gentle :)

Yeah, I know, I got zapped for stating my thoughts about kids on cruise ships...although the ones who flamed and dog-piled me did not get zapped...

I cannot help but be irritated, though, this person is being extremely foolish and selfish; not only is she disregarding the other paying passengers but the worst is she is disregarding the very real risks to her and her baby's health...

This baby is starting off all wrong. What kind of parent is she going to be when she won't protect her fetus now? The OP should notify Carnival a change is being made, she's not going due to pregancy and get another person to go for $50 fee for name change (which is a stupid charge.)

I have to agree with the posters who say your sister is selfish. I can't imagine any real doctor forging info for her either so she could go on this cruise. If he does, he should be reported to the AMA or state licensing board.

I hope she smartens up and doesn't go on the cruise, but it sounds like she has no trouble lying and getting others involved. What a shame.

This baby is starting off all wrong. What kind of parent is she going to be when she won't protect her fetus now? The OP should notify Carnival a change is being made, she's not going due to pregancy and get another person to go for $50 fee for name change (which is a stupid charge.)

I (personally) am hoping she is just naive. That instinct appears different times for different people. Personally I was pretty anal when I was pregnant, but even so, I still had no concept until after my baby was born, exactly what Motherhood was.

SO..I am hoping this is a first pregnancy for this girl and that her mothering instincts will click in sooner rather than later. But cut some slack here. predicting that she'll be a bad parent is a bit premature....and this coming from me, who always has something to say about bad parents.

I find it interesting that if anyone even thinks of breaking the rules and smuggling alcohol onto the ship they are lashed out at incessantly. Now someone is considering breaking the rule against cruising late in pregnancy and it's okay? Not that I have a strong opinion either way, but I do find it ironic.

You have a very valid point:D

On our recent NCL Dawn cruise, 10/5/08, the ship was turned around to go back to NY (after being at sea more than 24 hours) because a woman was giving birth prematurely and the ship's medical center is not prepared for this type of emergency. After 5 hours full-engines-ahead going back to NY, the ship was met by 2 med-evac helicopters and a Coast Guard cutter. We don't know whether or not the baby lived.

I, personally, wouldn't risk it. A new life is a precious thing.

(I didn't read this whole thread...if this has already been mentioned I apologize for duplicating.)

I'm sure the OP's sister could get away with getting on board. I'm sure that no one is checked thoroughly and the sister could look a little overweight instead of pregnant. But what happens once she's on? Does she hide her pregnancy for the whole cruise? Its very likely that room stewards or someone in the staff is notified about who's pregnant on board... What if after sailing, a staff member realizes that she's pregnant? Its likely, or at least possible, that she can be expelled at the first stop. I think the OP might want to point out that it isn't smooth sailing once she's onboard and that not only is she taking all the risks that have been mentioned throughout this thread, but she is at constant risk of being "caught".

What could Carnival do if they caught her mid-cruise? Can they sue? If the OP's sister feels adamant that premature birth or complications are impossible, then I doubt you can convince her otherwise, but the complications about breaking a very important safety rule? Maybe she can see the possiblity of that and will stay home?

Good luck OP!

If you are in charge of organizing the cruise and making all of the arrangements, it sounds to me like you have the ability to make the decision for her. If someone in your party is knowingly breaking the rules, it is your responsibility to handle the situation in whatever way you feel is appropriate. She may be angry with you now, but she will get over it. It's better than giving her a reason to blame you if something bad were to happen. It's up to you to do the responsible thing, even if she won't.

You are absolutely right! OP should take this upon his/her own hands or at the least OP should poll opinions between his/her family and make a decision there.

What do you all think? I say OP cancell the sister. Let's do opinion poll here..

You are absolutely right! OP should take this upon his/her own hands or at the least OP should poll opinions between his/her family and make a decision there.

What do you all think? I say OP cancell the sister. Let's do opinion poll here..

Let's not do an opinion poll :p LOL Welcome to CC by the way...

This is their family matter and should be handled as such... we have given input, but we can't make decisions for them... the OP and his sister now have information, they will have to make their own decisions from here... hopefully it will be the responsible one.

I just thought if OP see the poll it will help him/her make the right decision that's all. I'm pulling so hard for the OP to pull the plug him/her self. Thanks for your welcomimg me.

The polls here are for cruising related topics (or should be), not family intervention... it would get pulled in a heartbeat... if the OP and his sister read this thread, which he said he sent it to her, that is all that can be done... a poll isn't necessary to see that most people think she should stay home :) Hopefully, she will wise up and do the right thing, and hopefully the OP will come back and update us :)

Well, I am cruising in 3 weeks from tomorrow, so I HOPE they aren't going on my cruise. I don't want my ship diverted because someone who should know better is being too selfish to even think about the possibility of problems with her pregnancy.

I think she should cancel, and go on a cruise after the baby is born, maybe next year they can have another reunion.

Archived