Sting ray city

dvrdude

Did you look around at all in this forum? There are many threads and posts telling about different tour operators. We used NativeWay - a very popular choice and we LOVED it. You're wanting their "Rays, Reef & Rum Point" tour. Stingray city first, then snorkeling at the reef and ending with a couple of hours and lunch at Rum Point (one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen; and I've seen lots of 'em).

• 2 weeks later...

I know there's many threads about stingray city, but I figured I might as well tack on to this one. How crowded is it out there? It seems like everyone who goes to grand cayman (rightly) goes there. Are the times are areas that are more/less crowded? Or is it just the way it is?

Thanks.

How crowded is it out there? It seems like everyone who goes to grand cayman (rightly) goes there. Are the times are areas that are more/less crowded? Or is it just the way it is?

Days when there aren't any cruise ships in (or cruise ship days in the very early morning or late afternoon, after the ships have left) are not crowded at all out at Stingray City. :D I've been out there when we're practically the only people there...

Basically, if there's cruise ships in port, Stingray City has at least moderate crowds. The more cruise ships in, the more people at Stingray City...

Is it possible to visit the place on our own? Perhaps after the city tour?

Stingray City visits require a boat. If you have your own boat, you can easily visit on your own. We do it all the time. Otherwise, you need to arrange a trip via one of the tour operators. Some operators have both morning and afternoon trips...you would just need to pick something that fits in with your already scheduled activities and your ship arrival and departure times...

If you go with one of the independent tour operators (we used NativeWay) you will get to Stingray City early, which is best. We were among the first boats there that day. By the time we were finished, there were tons of boats. I wouldn't go with the cruiseline if it was FREE! There were probably 200 people crowded onto that big ugly boat. There were about 12 or 14 of us on our tour.

Archived