Where to Stay in Sydney

frank_Com

Frank, have a look at wotif.com ... it has a mapping facility that shows where all the hotels are in the CBD, which is where you will want to stay.

A thought if you are familiar with Priceline. I have seen lots of posts from people who have got the Sydney Harbour Marriott (bidding on 5* hotels) at very good prices. It is a very good hotel at Circular Quay, and very close to the cruise terminal ... a 5 minute walk at most (and longer by taxi).

Cheers

Bob

We are also coming to Sydney to sail from the Overseas Terminal at Circular Quay, and have booked the Marriott Harbour Direct with them, check to see where the Rhapsody of the Seas sails from as Sydney has two overseas terminals both in the city, the other is close to Darling Harbour.

Hi Frank

Like Bob said have a look at an internet booking company and that is where you will get your best deal. Lastminute.com has great deals, and I have been able to get the Menzies plenty of times for $99.00 :) It is about a five/six minute walk from where you will be leaving from, and right opposite a railway station if you were travelling in by train. There are so many motels around that area you will find it hard to decide which one to stay at, but definitely use lastminute or wotif. You will save a fortune.:D

The Hotel Coronation is a great place to stay. It is within walking distance of all of the Sydney attractions. The rate is only $109 AUD. They also have a wonderful restaurant with good food, large portions moderately priced.

Ron

The Hotel Coronation is a great place to stay. It is within walking distance of all of the Sydney attractions. The rate is only $109 AUD. They also have a wonderful restaurant with good food, large portions moderately priced.

Ron

That's a great deal $109 AUD is $87 Canadian. We got the Sydney Marriot last time for $150 US on Priceline but that would work out to around $200 Canadian.

The Coronation is quite a bit more downmarket than the Marriott and although right in the city centre not close to the wharf. But its quite OK for the budget traveller.

It is only a 15-20 minute walk to darling harbor and less than a mile to the opera house. Budget, maybe, but how much time do you plan on spending in your room when you want to see the sights of Sydney. Rooms are clean and the restaurant is excellent. BTW - there is nothing on the wharf (if you are talking Darling Harbor) but tourist traps - Dining is mediocre at best and very expensive.

Ron

Sorry coiran I didn't intend to denigrate the Coronation. I was just trying to point out the differences from the Marriott. I think I might have been one of the people who recommended it when you were asking before your trip.

Sorry coiran I didn't intend to denigrate the Coronation. I was just trying to point out the differences from the Marriott. I think I might have been one of the people who recommended it when you were asking before your trip.

No Problem - we stayed four nights and really enjoyed it - saw just about everything there is to see in Sydney - also took a Blue Mtn. tour one day.

The CC roll call group originally had the whole place booked but everyone dropped out because they were hearing bad reviews about the hotel. I was the first one in and got a suite for the price of a standard double. Also their food was better than anything we tried in Darling Harbor at half the price.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Four nights for $268 US.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Last month, stayed 7 nights at the Travelodge Wentworth (close to Menzies). Easy access to airport subway, Circular Quay (10 minute walk), downtown, and attractions. Noticed some ROS cruisers stayed here as well. This is a great price hotel for the location. You'll love Sydney (we did!). Have fun.

I actually stayed at the Harbour Marriott with my 2 sisters last night. I can thoroughly recommend it. We were on 26th floor with views to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and the Harbour Bridge as well as views around to Darling Harbour.

We checked in at 3pm yesterday had a swim in the heated pool (quite small pool), came back to our room got ready to go out. We walked to the Opera Bar (beside the Opera House), met friends, had dinner and drinks and went to the Opera House for a show. Walked back to the hotel at about 10.15pm had a nightcap and went to bed.

Got up at 7.30am went for a walk around the Opera House and Lady Macquarie's Chair in the Botanical Gardens, came back and had a huge breakfast. Then we went to the Rocks Markets, spent some money and took our purchases back to the hotel. We then went to the movies at Dendy Opera Quays, grabbed a quick bite came back checked out at 2pm and came home.

Unless you are severely immobile you can do everything on foot from the Harbour Marriott.

• 4 weeks later...
A thought if you are familiar with Priceline. I have seen lots of posts from people who have got the Sydney Harbour Marriott (bidding on 5* hotels) at very good prices.
I happened to be looking at that board on Bidding For Travel today, and noticed that there are two reports of winning bids of USD 122, and one for as low as USD 110. This is a substantial reduction from most of 2008, when most reports were in the USD 150-170 range.

Given the degree of confidence that one can have in getting this hotel (if any) when bidding on a 5* in Sydney, this has got to be one of the world's great travel bargains. (But as always when bidding on Priceline, no guarantees.)

We are booked on the Rhapsody of Seas, leaving Sydney on February 24th. Any suggestions on where to stay, not to far from the port, and yet access to Sydney's sites?

Thanks Much, Frank

Frank, we just did the Rhapsody around Tassie, We stayed the night b4 in this hotel about a 10 minute walk from Circular quay, cost us $149 for 2 adults 1 child with full brekkie.

Stevo.

http://www.accorhotels.com.au/availability/default.aspx?hotelcode=2977&utm_campaign=H2977&utm_medium=AU-hotelwebsite&utm_source=Hotelwebsite&utm_content=generic_link

Stayed at the Travelodge Wynyard which turned out to be half way between the wharf and the city. When we discovered how close we were to Circular Queue we left our suitcases there for the morning and after lunch just trundled them down to the ship. It`s downhill :-) The price was reasonable for Sydney and it was very comfortable.

We also stayed at Travelodge Wynyard, which pleasantly surprised me, as the price was so much lower than the other places I looked at. It was clean, the front desk was friendly and the complimentary breakfast was o.k. It is not a luxury hotel, but offered good value for the cost and was very convenient.

Hi everyone

I have booked two rooms for night prior to our cruise with queen beds at the Menzies for $149 ea. It is located right across from Wynyard Station and we have decided to come down via rail, so this suits and it is only a short downhill stroll to the dock ( Wharf 8 ) the next day after checkout.

Kerry

Archived