Where to Stay in Sydney

frank_Com

Hi everyone

I have booked two rooms for night prior to our cruise with queen beds at the Menzies for $149 ea. It is located right across from Wynyard Station and we have decided to come down via rail, so this suits and it is only a short downhill stroll to the dock ( Wharf 8 ) the next day after checkout.

Kerry

A cab from the airport is $40, just seen you are arriving by train,oopps!! Its a bit of a lumber up from the wynyard Station via the lift or stairs, might try a cab from the arrival station.

stevo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

I'd say that your choice of accommodation would depend on:

a. How long you're in SYD; and

b. Whether your cruise departs from Wharf 8 in Darling Harbour or the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) at Circular Quay.

You'll find that most of the larger Post-Panamax ships (Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Star, etc) will depart from the OPT as they are too big to get under the SHB (Sydney Harbour Bridge).

Also depends on your price limitations. You can get some great 3-5 star hotels close to the CBD by checking out websites by Googling Sydney Cheap Hotels.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!

hi everyone,

we are family of 3, 2 adults and a daughter aged 10, we are staying on in Sydney for a week after our cruise on the rasphody next Jan. We were thinking of staying in Manley to get the best of both, has any one any recommendations? we have been told the Manley pacific is great. Also how easy is it to get to and fro the CBD area? Do the ferries run early till late, we would like a couple of evening meals around the harbour and opera house. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Personally, I would not recommend this. Although Manly is great for a visit, as a first time visitor to Sydney (which I assume you are) you will get much more out of your stay if you are in a hotel in the city.

Jestley, I don't altogether agree with Globaliser. If being near the beach is important and you are likely to want to go there regularly during your stay, then Manly is a really great choice.

However, most of Sydney's attractions are, as Globaliser points out, located in, around or got to from the city so you will probably travel into the city almost every day. The ferry trip is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque "commutes" in the world (and the ferries do indeed run from around 6am until midnight each day) BUT the downside is that it take a chunk out of your sightseeing day (around 45 minutes each way) and it is also relatively expensive ($6.40 each way although cheaper if you buy a multi ticket). If you see that as a problem, then stay in the city. If not, then go for it.

There are quite a few quality hotel/serviced apartments there but important to book early as January is our summer school holiday period.

Cheers

Bob

Jestley, I don't altogether agree with Globaliser. If being near the beach is important and you are likely to want to go there regularly during your stay, then Manly is a really great choice.

However, most of Sydney's attractions are, as Globaliser points out, located in, around or got to from the city so you will probably travel into the city almost every day. The ferry trip is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque "commutes" in the world (and the ferries do indeed run from around 6am until midnight each day) BUT the downside is that it take a chunk out of your sightseeing day (around 45 minutes each way) and it is also relatively expensive ($6.40 each way although cheaper if you buy a multi ticket). If you see that as a problem, then stay in the city. If not, then go for it.

There are quite a few quality hotel/serviced apartments there but important to book early as January is our summer school holiday period.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have looked at the ferry timetable and tickets, a weekly travel pass would cost us $60 per adult and $30 for our daughter, so $150 for a weeks ferry, bus and train within a certain area. We will be sightseeing at a slower pace than some with having a child with us and a lot of our activities will be with her in mind, thats why we are planning to stay a week. I can see that whatever we wanted to do in the city that we would have to allow travelling time, but it would be nice to spend a couple of hours on the beach in the morning and then go into the centre. it needs lots of thought!

We are really sad to see the devastation that the fires are causing, We hope it gets under control as soon as possible. our thoughts are with anyone out ther who has been affected.

Thanks

JO:)

Jo,

Very wise decision to spend a week here after your cruise. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm not in Victoria but it is heartbreaking seeing it on TV. The stories from the lucky ones who made it out alive are marred by their loss of neighbours and friends. Its very hard to watch or listen to without tears. My thoughts also go out to anyone affected by this tragedy, the rest of Australia is grieving with you.

Hi Bob,

I have looked at the ferry timetable and tickets, a weekly travel pass would cost us $60 per adult and $30 for our daughter, so $150 for a weeks ferry, bus and train within a certain area. We will be sightseeing at a slower pace than some with having a child with us and a lot of our activities will be with her in mind, thats why we are planning to stay a week. I can see that whatever we wanted to do in the city that we would have to allow travelling time, but it would be nice to spend a couple of hours on the beach in the morning and then go into the centre. it needs lots of thought!

We are really sad to see the devastation that the fires are causing, We hope it gets under control as soon as possible. our thoughts are with anyone out ther who has been affected.

Thanks

JO:)

Jo, to be able to pop down to the beach with your daughter before and/or after a sightseeing day is I think a very compelling argument for staying at Manly for the week ... go for it. I have no doubt that she, and therefore you, will enjoy staying in Manly much more than in the middle of the city.

Cheers

Bob

The Four Points is the best value for money Harbourside hotel. (Note that it overlooks Darling Harbour, not the main harbour)

Simply steps to the monorail station, easy walk (albeit uphill) to the main shopping area near Market & Pitt and minutes to the Queen Vic building/shopping centre.

Another great value hotel is the Harbourview Hotel in North Sydney. Situated almost above North Sydney railway station, it is really easy to get to by public transport or an inexpensive cab ride over the harbour bridge. You have spectacular main harbour views here and can walk to nice neighbourhood restaurants in Blues Point Road in McMahons Point. Lavender Blue is a favourite. I've stayed with weekend rates as low as $AUD150 per nite.

http://www.viewhotels.com.au/hp_hv.asp

A great site to book last minute accomodation is:-

www.wotif.com

Archived