Amalfi/Positano

jrkfrk

If our Oceania cruise lists "Amalfi/Positano" as a port, exactly where is the port - and what can we expect in terms of taxi drivers available without pre-booking? Has anyone "just walked off the ship" and hired a driver to go to a specific spot (restaurant), wait for them and then back to the ship? Also (I know I'm pushing my luck), does anyone know the name of a wonderful little bakery in Amalfi that makes sfogleatelli (sp?) and has super rich hot chocolate? We went there about 8 years ago while on a Rick Steves tour, and would love to go back if it still exists. Thanks for any leads. . . . .

Fran

You actually stop at Amalfi, and it's a tender port.

Sorry I can't help with taxis, we took the bus upto Ravello and visited the beautiful gardens of Villa Cimbrone. The views are stunning, and I would highly recommend it.

http://www.villacimbrone.com/en/

You can also take a bus or a ferry to Positano, which is also lovely.

Does your cruise also stop at Sorrento? We explored Amalfi and Ravello from the Amalfi stop, and Postiano from the Sorrento stop.

I Amalfi there are taxis available right where you exit the tenders. We took one to Ravello and he came back for us 4 hours later. It was pretty costly, but there were 6 of us, so no big deal.:)

And if the weather is too rough for that tender, you may end up in Sorrento for a tender or at the dock in Naples, just so you can make back up plans. Some of the ferries stop running in the off season so depending on when you are going you may want to double check the schedules. We've heard of plenty of cruises that had to substitute one of the other two ports but we were able to go to Amalfi on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. We had a private tour that day so I don't remember looking for taxis or how many there might have been. I remember two bakeries that had nice looking pastries, Pansa and Savoia (I think). You may want to try the Rick Steve's boards for the bakery name, they may know it.

We did our own thing in both ports and had a lovely time. The tender dropped us right in Amalfi. We explored the town and visited the cathedral - I really recommend visiting the cathedral, especially the crypt. I think it cost 5 euros. We then got the local bus to Positano so we could experience the Amalfi Drive. You need to sit on the left hand side going and the right hand side back (as you face the front). Alternatively you can take the ferry which avoids the steep climb at Positano. The bus ride was breathtaking though and I really recommend it. It also was very cheap!

At Sorrento a shuttle was laid on to take you up the hill to the main town. Again the tender port is right next to the ferry port if you want to take the local ferry to Capri.

Both these places are so easy to do on your own. Save your money and spend it on some pastries and a gelato! Lovely gelato shop in Sorrento - think it was called Davide????

Sweep

When we got off the tender in Amalfi we walked to the left and bought a ferry ticket to Positano. It was very cheap. We found Positano to be much prettier than Amalfi. We returned on the ferry to Amalfi and still have time to stroll around. O offeres an excursion to Positano. Do it on your own. We were on the same ferry as the O people. It was much, much cheaper.

Archived