Quality of Internet on NCL Spirit?

grandmadarlene

I've been on 32 NCL cruises and haven't encountered any more problems with them than the other lines I've cruised on. In fact, the last two cruises I was on this past summer were on other lines and I was a little disappointed in their internet speeds.

Just back from Mexico on the Star, used the WiFi and my own laptop, it was definitely slower than home but usable for Gmail via IMAP and Exchange via Entourage (no VPN). That said, web access was slow and latency was high.

I suspect sites like GMail directly would get expensive.

I basically logged in, downloaded email, logged off, composed replies, and logged back on.

I sailed on the Sun in September. The internet service was slow at best and extremely slow to almost non-existant at worst. I was able to get my emails but there were times that I waited 5 minutes or more just to connect through. All the while it was eating up my minutes. I had originally planned to post on CC every few days but after the first or second go I gave up as it was just too slow. You'll be able to get messages in and out but that's about it.

It appears that all NCL ships, and perhaps other lines as well, use the same provider. Many factors can influence the speed, such as dozens of people at once trying to print boarding passes, or passing through a harbor ringed with high mountains.

The Jewel had ethernet connection in even the inside cabins for use of own lapsops from your own room, but the speeds were pretty much the same as the terminals in the internet cafe. They do not exhibit blinding speeds.

Thanks so much for your replies. Traveling with us is our 19 year old grandson who loves his interactive video games. But I expect the slow responses and the cost will cool his "ardor".

Gaming on an ImarsatB connection is about as joyful as surfing through a school of jellyfish. Don't waste your time or money!

Cheers,

Norman

Just found out that Xbox360 is located inside the Teen Center and thus not available to my 19 year old grandson. I'm told that the Teen Center is "age restricted" to a max of 17 years old.

Any reports on the Game Arcade? Someone wrote "bring lots of quarters" so I assume that the games are all old style.

Archived