Voyager (why so much more expensive?)

That's funny because I have been checking prices for various cruises over the past several months including the Voyager and noticed the Voyager to be less expensive than those leaving out of Florida.

Which ships are you comparing? I know that sometimes when ships are not full, then about 2-3 months before a sailing, RCCL will discount rates in an effort to fill the ship. I wonder if you are looking at some highly discounted rates of ships that are scheduled to leave within the next few months.

I think it's just a simple issue of supply and demand. There aren't nearly as many cruise options out of Texas as there are in Florida, and Voyager is the only Royal Caribbean ship out of Texas - and only for a few months. So initially, the published rates are higher as they capture all those who want to cruise on Voyager regardless of price, but then if they have trouble filling the ship those rates will fall over time.

I actually chose the Voyager because it was cheaper than most other cruises for the time I'm looking at. That being said, it's all about supply and demand, so if you're looking at a popular sail date, like those around Texas spring break, you're likely not going to find a very good deal unless you fly to Florida.

I was thinking the same the other posters have said..... our group of 10 booked Voyager for 4/5/09 after considering a cruise out of LA....... this was much cheaper, although the transfer cost from Houston is more than other ports. Have been on Voyager before and looking forward to again. I just think the low costs 2 months ago have worked and the boat is getting full.

Why is Voyager more expensive than the other ships?

We live in Texas. It's less expensive for us to fly to Florida than to drive to Galveston. The cruise fares on Voyager is much more expensive than other ships. Why?

You must get great fares to fly to Florida so cheap...... It will cost me less than $600 to drive from Minneapolis round trip ( we are 4 in our group). Flying would be $400 per person if we were lucky.

I was thinking the same the other posters have said..... our group of 10 booked Voyager for 4/5/09 after considering a cruise out of LA....... this was much cheaper, although the transfer cost from Houston is more than other ports. Have been on Voyager before and looking forward to again. I just think the low costs 2 months ago have worked and the boat is getting full.

Pardon me if you have, but have you guys checked out our roll call for 4/5/09 at all? We have a terrific group going!

If you have already, excuse me, I'm just a bit spacey sometimes.

Has your group signed up for our M&M?? Say hello on the roll call if you havent already. RCL usually puts on a cute party for CCers and friends/family.

I noticed Voyager from Galveston for Jan 2010 is about $200 pp higher than Serenade from San Juan. I checked the same category of cabin and same week. Serenade has 5 ports vs. Voyager's 3. Airfare is running about $358 pp from Houston to San Juan. Since I prefer S. Caribbean ports and Radiance class ships, this one was a no brainer for me. For only $300 more for the trip, I booked Serenade. If airfare goes up like crazy again in the next couple of months, I might change back to Voyager so I can drive.

Archived