Anyone done self-disembarkation on RCI?

mrspjotter

We are going on our first cruise with our 8 year old son and 5 year old twin daughters on EOS in Feb 09.

It has been suggested that we might think about self-disembarkation on our return into Bayonne to give us a bit more time to see New York before we fly home in the evening.

Has anyone done self-disembarkation with kids before?:confused:

Haven't done it with or without kids, BUT I have sailed out of Bayonne on a number of occasions and would note that you need to take a shuttle from the ship to the terminal. The shuttle does not have space for luggage, so you pretty much need to hold anything you bring on it (plus having to haul your things on and off the shuttle). Not sure I could recommend doing this unless you are really packing light.

I would definitely NOT recommend the self disembark for anyone with young children. You will need to carry everything off yourself, with absolutely no help. If you think you can carry off all your bags, and your kids, then try it, but I think it would be a mistake for anyone with young kids.

We've done the self disembark on other cruise lines with our kids before. I agree with the previous poster that with smaller kids it would be harder. However, given your kids ages they are big enough to help with smaller suitcases with wheels on them so I would think about the luggage you have and if you think it will work. It really does save a lot of time, you'll get off a bit earlier.

David

We've done the self disembark on other cruise lines with our kids before. I agree with the previous poster that with smaller kids it would be harder. However, given your kids ages they are big enough to help with smaller suitcases with wheels on them so I would think about the luggage you have and if you think it will work. It really does save a lot of time, you'll get off a bit earlier.

David

The one reason I would NOT advise to do self disembark in Bayonne is the fact that the terminal is set up differently than in other ports. Unlike in places like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Pt. Canaveral, LA, San Juan, etc, in Bayonne you take a shuttle bus to get from the ship to the terminal. The shuttle bus does not have room for luggage so anything you have has to be kept in your lap. Yes, it can be done but it takes a lot of extra effort which may not be worth it with kids. Also, people that have done self-disembark in Bayonne have reported that it wasn't any faster, and in many cases it took longer than if they'd allowed the cruiseline to take their bags off the ship for them because they have people disembark in different places based on whether they are doing self-disembark or not.

Archived