Skagway - White pass Rail Road infant charge

henren

I am booked on the NCL Star out of Seattle to Alaska on May 30th . I was looking at the shore excursion in Skagway and planning to do the white pass summit excursion . The NCL site says that it is $114 for me and my wife and for my son who would be 2 years old during our sailing it is $57 . When I go and check for the charges in the site (http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/schedule.html) it says that the following charges

Adults $103

Child 3-12 Half price

Infant Free

So does this mean that since my son who would be 2 years and 3 months when we travel would be treated as an infant and will not have to pay if I make the booking via their website.. The website also encourages cruise passengers to reserve via their ship for convenient dockside access and booking made via their site can be boarded only from the railroad dept which is a short walk from the cruise terminal.

Can somebody clarify?

I would call the Whitepass Railroad directly to verify that they do not charge for a child under 3. Booking directly with the rail road is no big deal, while it is convenient to board the train right on the dock, it is not a huge walk to the train depot. Just put your son in a stroller and head off. We booked the bus/rail excursion with a private company and had a great time, dropped us off in town for shopping and we walked back to the ship.

Another advantage of buying tickets when you get there....if the visibility is poor you may decide to skip it. When we were there, the locals and people at the RR were pretty honest about current conditions. But they are never 100% sure; it can be clear in town and bad in the pass or vice-versa. The conditions can change quickly too. People buying through the cruise line go no matter what, even if they only get spectacular views of clouds.

maybe this can make the train boarding clear...

each of the cruise lines get their own train, it pulls up right across from the ship. my SIL got tickets that morning...she was going to go direct through the train depot, but decided it wasn't worth the extra walk.

it was very foggy on your trip, but only for 1/2 the trip up. once we got near the summit..it became very clear and the trip down was beautiful.

658100397_07NCLStarinSkagway.jpg.eadcac264592639a74c6c68dec55407f.jpg

I am booked on the NCL Star out of Seattle to Alaska on May 30th . I was looking at the shore excursion in Skagway and planning to do the white pass summit excursion . The NCL site says that it is $114 for me and my wife and for my son who would be 2 years old during our sailing it is $57 . When I go and check for the charges in the site (http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/schedule.html) it says that the following charges

Adults $103

Child 3-12 Half price

Infant Free

So does this mean that since my son who would be 2 years and 3 months when we travel would be treated as an infant and will not have to pay if I make the booking via their website.. The website also encourages cruise passengers to reserve via their ship for convenient dockside access and booking made via their site can be boarded only from the railroad dept which is a short walk from the cruise terminal.

Can somebody clarify?

I think it is pretty clear, direct booking has your 2 year old free.

Thanks for the inputs everyone... I will probably call the railroad and confirm the charges but as Budget Queen said..it is very clear from the site that 2 year olds should be free.. I am not sure why NCL is charging halfprice when the railroad company says it is free for 2 year olds . Hopefully this is not a case of a company listing something on their website and then when you actually call them..they tell you that..their sites have not been updated and they do charge for 2 year olds..

So if the railroad company charges as what they have mentioned in their website , this tour should cost me only $206 whereas , the same in ncl would cost me..$285...Well..lets just say that there is no doubt..whom I am going to go with..!!

I saw some of the posters mentioning that you can go and reserve this on the day , your ship lands on port.. after checking the weather..What are the chances of not getting tickets and since I would be in Skagway on June 3rd..,would you guys advise that I make the reservation online itself..since the weather should be good enough on June??

I emailed the RR about the advisability of of getting tickets early versus getting them on the day of the trip because of weather concerns and they answered that the train only fills up on Wednesdays and that there should be no problem with getting the tix just before you leave. You might want to email them just to check. They were very prompt in replying to me.

henren- Check the port schedule and see how many ships are in Skagway on June 3. If it's 1-3 you're OK, 4-5 is getting crowded.

As others have said (and you have found out), the cruise lines charge quite a bit more than going through the RR directly. Like any shorex through the cruise line there are 1 or 2 levels of markup you avoid by independent booking. If you pre-buy through the cruise line you're committed to go; as I recall the cancellation fee is nominal if you prebook directly through the RR (about 10%) so another option is to pre-purchase through the RR and cancel when you arrive if the weather is really lousy.

Thanks for the advise everybody.. I do see in the website that they have still not opened up booking for 2009 excursions and the dropdown has only 2008 . I will call them tomorrow and check with them if I can make reservations for June 3rd now itself.. I will go ahead and book it and since I am anyway commited to to the cruise..and with cancellation fee being very nominal..I think I can take my chances..

I called up the whitepassrail road and asked them about booking online and they told that on Wednesdays , they normally don't do any pre booking since the Cruise ships block all of them and hence we would have to wait at least on that morning and see how many seats are released by the cruise ship and then make the reservations directly with them.

They did confirm that my son who would be 2 years and 3 months during our sailing would be free and that adults would be $108 (including tax) . I called up NCL and asked them what is their cut off date for child and they told that it is 2 years and above and my son would be charged half price . Very Strange ..that the cruiseline and the railroad company have different criteria...!!

Anyway..I am in dilemma now once again...Can I take my chances and wait till the day to make my reservation directly with the RR by just walking over to the depot? What are the chances of everything getting filled up by the cruiseline itself?

Also , they have 2 schedules , 8:15 and 12:40 and the roundtrip is 3 hours . The Star is scheduled to be in Skagway from 7 am to 5 pm .. Will taking the 12:40 be risky since it would be reach back at 3:40 and also I am thinking that since passengers who booked via the ship would also be in the same train , there is no way , the ship will leave them right?? Or is it that everyone in the ship always goes in the 8:15 schedule and the 12:40 schedule is always free?? Can anyone who has done the whitepass rail before advise me on the best way out..

They did confirm that my son who would be 2 years and 3 months during our sailing would be free and that adults would be $108 (including tax) . I called up NCL and asked them what is their cut off date for child and they told that it is 2 years and above and my son would be charged half price . Very Strange ..that the cruiseline and the railroad company have different criteria...!!

Strange that the cruiseline would pocket $54 of your hard-earned money with no justification? - NOT!

I called up the whitepassrail road and asked them about booking online and they told that on Wednesdays , they normally don't do any pre booking since the Cruise ships block all of them and hence we would have to wait at least on that morning and see how many seats are released by the cruise ship and then make the reservations directly with them.

Anyway..I am in dilemma now once again...Can I take my chances and wait till the day to make my reservation directly with the RR by just walking over to the depot? What are the chances of everything getting filled up by the cruiseline itself?

Also , they have 2 schedules , 8:15 and 12:40 and the roundtrip is 3 hours . The Star is scheduled to be in Skagway from 7 am to 5 pm .. Will taking the 12:40 be risky since it would be reach back at 3:40 and also I am thinking that since passengers who booked via the ship would also be in the same train , there is no way , the ship will leave them right?? Or is it that everyone in the ship always goes in the 8:15 schedule and the 12:40 schedule is always free?? Can anyone who has done the whitepass rail before advise me on the best way out..

IF, you can have back up plans, certainly you can wait until in Skagway to book. But there are FAR more than two trains running. There are completely separate cruise contracted trains. But either trip will be fine and you will make it back to the ship. Do allow at least 15 minutes for the walk depending on the dock. In the past, usually NCL is at the Ore dock- last several years that I've gone.

I'm in the same predicament with my 4 year old and the Deadliest Catch excursion in Ketchikan. HAL website makes it appear as though she is $99. But the website says Ages 5-12 is $99 and 3 and under free sitting on an adults lap. But what about a 4 year old? I tried emailing but they did not respond. I am pretty sure I'll book directly through the company as it saves $$$$.

I'm in the same predicament with my 4 year old and the Deadliest Catch excursion in Ketchikan. HAL website makes it appear as though she is $99. But the website says Ages 5-12 is $99 and 3 and under free sitting on an adults lap. But what about a 4 year old? I tried emailing but they did not respond. I am pretty sure I'll book directly through the company as it saves $$$$.

http://www.56degreesnorth.com/default.asp?pageid=20&deptid=1

Have you read the specifics of this tour, 5 is the min. participation age and under three, if they are continously held on a lap are free. It is unlikely that you are going to be having a 4 year old continously in your lap and not being able to participate??

http://www.56degreesnorth.com/default.asp?pageid=20&deptid=1

IF, you can have back up plans, certainly you can wait until in Skagway to book. But there are FAR more than two trains running. There are completely separate cruise contracted trains. But either trip will be fine and you will make it back to the ship. Do allow at least 15 minutes for the walk depending on the dock. In the past, usually NCL is at the Ore dock- last several years that I've gone.

Budget Queen , So you mean to say that there is definitely more than 2 trains running for each time slot . I have read from the boards that lot of people do walk to the RR depot and get their tickets . Assuming I do the same , What are the chances of me not getting a ticket for the train ride ?

Just FYI - On this tour, you are in the open air and moving the entire time -- passing around the crabs, octopus, whatever...going to the back of the boat for coffee, eating the box lunch, disposing of leftovers, moving around to take pictures, climbing to the top deck to get a better view, or back downstairs to sit under the heaters. I switched seats at least five times. It's rougher and colder than even the whale watches.

I think it would be a real challenge to keep a four year old on your lap the entire time.

Good luck. :)

Just FYI - On this tour, you are in the open air and moving the entire time -- passing around the crabs, octopus, whatever...going to the back of the boat for coffee, eating the box lunch, disposing of leftovers, moving around to take pictures, climbing to the top deck to get a better view, or back downstairs to sit under the heaters. I switched seats at least five times. It's rougher and colder than even the whale watches.

I think it would be a real challenge to keep a four year old on your lap the entire time.

Good luck. :)

Yep, that's the reason we dropped the idea in the last minute. We will have to wait for kids to grow up to do it later.

Here is another alternative. If you would like to do the train/bus combo excursion, try this company, Chilkoot Charters. We booked with them directly and had a very enjoyable trip. They even dropped us off in town to do some shopping. You will have to email them or call for their prices. When we went it was $118 for adults, less for kids, I don't know if under 3 is free, you would have to call. We met the bus driver at the end of the dock and he took us to the train and then met us at the top for the ride back. We were able to book our tour in advance direct with Chilkoot months before. I think the train company has an agreement with the cruiselines and can't book directly with passengers in advance. Hope this helps!

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/summitrail.htm

Here is another alternative. If you would like to do the train/bus combo excursion, try this company, Chilkoot Charters. We booked with them directly and had a very enjoyable trip. They even dropped us off in town to do some shopping. You will have to email them or call for their prices. When we went it was $118 for adults, less for kids, I don't know if under 3 is free, you would have to call. We met the bus driver at the end of the dock and he took us to the train and then met us at the top for the ride back. We were able to book our tour in advance direct with Chilkoot months before. I think the train company has an agreement with the cruiselines and can't book directly with passengers in advance. Hope this helps!

Chilkoot is a great company!

I did not see the price listing on their website and hence emailed them to enquire and this is what they replied

Hi, Our child rate is 2 and under ride free, if your child, is over two, yet close to two when you get here they are still considered lap size , we are flexible.

Capt. Larry Pierce

BUS & RAIL EXCURSIONS

We currently have 4 combination bus and rail excursions.

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM

Cost: $122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: 1 3/4 hours on train to White Pass Summit & Fraser by train - Return to Skagway by bus (This tour operates in reverse order at 8:30AM & 1:00PM)

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $175.00 Adult $120.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride

Same as #2 above plus dogsled ride included in this package

Cost: $206.00 Adults $153.00 Child (12 & Under)

4) Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion (May 22 – September 2, 2009)

Duration: 9 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $228 Adult $152 Child (12 & Under) (Plus 5% sales tax)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays/Lunch Included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett – 2 hours by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

(This excursion operates in the reverse order on Wednesday and Sunday.)

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions. Reservations may be made by visiting our web site at www.alaskatoursales.com and completing our online reservation form. Once we receive a reservation request, we will respond with an email confirmation that includes meeting and pickup instructions.

Regards,

Kathy Pierce

CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS

Skagway, Alaska

So it looks my son who would b 2 years and 4 months when he travels would be free..So this tour works out to $244 for both me and wife...

I have another question..I've switched to the NCL pearl now and the pearl also docks in Skagway , the same day as the Star and it is June 3rd but with one difference...the Star is at skagway from 7 am to 5 pm but the pearl is from 7 am to 9 pm ...I do see that the whitepass rail operates a tour at 4:30 pm in the evening and I remember the RR folks telling me that only the 8:15 and 12:45 were blocked by the cruiselines and that the 4:30 would be available but since the Star leaves at 5 , there is no way , I could have taken that tour but now since I am in the pearl and have till 9 pm at night..can I go on the 4:30 pm tour..What do you guys think ,or is 4:30 too late to go on the sight seeing trip to the top of the summit ? How long does daylight last in early June in Skagway? Has anyone taken the 4:30 tour?

Only you can answer this question. Choose the time that best fits your toddlers schedule, when is he at his best and least cranky, in the morning or afternoon after his nap? Or if he is generally amiable, go when it suits you. Last summer we took the first train in the morning, it was gloomy all day so weather was no different. One thing to keep in mind is the fact that Chilkoot will pick you up in their bus at the dock and either take you to the train or drive up the mountain to meet the train later. If you book direct with the train company, you will have to walk to the depot. If you book through the cruiseline, the train is at the dock, not much walking. As for light, I think there will be plenty of light into the evening in June if you decide on the later trip.

You need to see if the 4:30pm train is offered by the cruiseline shore excursions. Then make your decision about booking independently.

It is light way past 10pm with twilight.

No flames please, but all these options may be too much for a 2 year old since none have a way out. I would probably only recommend the short bus rail combo, since you are only on the train 1 1/2 hours and you have a few stops with the van. More distractions.

Archived