Do they serve school bread?

NightRN

I had to google School Bread and found this - now I know what they are and look like.

http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/pastryrecipes/r/schoolbread.htm

Well, NCL is not really Norwegian food-wise (NO MARINATED Scandinavian style HERRINGS!!!), and I do not recall ever seeing the School Bread on our 2 NCL Caribbean cruises. Hopefully somebody on NCL Jade will see this and serve both the bread and herrings on our upcoming NCL Jade Med cruise since the ship is in Europe and there'll be a lot of Europeans!

We went on Norwegian Coastal Voyage ship (NCV - now called Hurtigruten) and they had those School Bread, as well as the marinated herrings. Food - buffets and sit-down dinners - was completely Norwegian and we loved it.

I had to google School Bread and found this - now I know what they are and look like.

Yummy!!! That looks great. Thanks for posting that link. It does look like some danishes you see that have lemon or cherry or apple, but it sounds great with the vanilla cream or vanilla pudding. If I were actually going to make them I would make sure to use a really good vanilla custard instead of just the instant pudding, but either way sounds good to me.

Well, NCL is not really Norwegian food-wise (NO MARINATED Scandinavian style HERRINGS!!!), and I do not recall ever seeing the School Bread on our 2 NCL Caribbean cruises. Hopefully somebody on NCL Jade will see this and serve both the bread and herrings on our upcoming NCL Jade Med cruise since the ship is in Europe and there'll be a lot of Europeans!

We went on Norwegian Coastal Voyage ship (NCV - now called Hurtigruten) and they had those School Bread, as well as the marinated herrings. Food - buffets and sit-down dinners - was completely Norwegian and we loved it.

I have to laugh, not because you like the herring, but because of my personal experience. I lived in Norway as an exchange student many years ago. (And I blame skolebrod, lefse, kringla, waffle is (custard style ice cream on a warm waffle), polser, beer, and every single dairy produce made by Tine for the fact that I gained 15 lb while living there--even though we walked and bicycled almost everywhere.) When my DH and I spent a month in Denmark and Norway a few years ago, my Norwegian Papa commented that one thing he loves with meals is "many different kinds of herring." So that became our little catch phrase, especially at breakfast: "Oh look, honey, they have many different kinds of herring today" (chuckle). We were on Hurtigruten too. Loved it. In fact, I hooked him on eating Scandinavian style breakfasts every day (just no herring because neither of us like it).

beachchick

I have to laugh, not because you like the herring, but because of my personal experience. I lived in Norway as an exchange student many years ago. (And I blame skolebrod, lefse, kringla, waffle is (custard style ice cream on a warm waffle), polser, beer, and every single dairy produce made by Tine for the fact that I gained 15 lb while living there--even though we walked and bicycled almost everywhere.) When my DH and I spent a month in Denmark and Norway a few years ago, my Norwegian Papa commented that one thing he loves with meals is "many different kinds of herring." So that became our little catch phrase, especially at breakfast: "Oh look, honey, they have many different kinds of herring today" (chuckle). We were on Hurtigruten too. Loved it. In fact, I hooked him on eating Scandinavian style breakfasts every day (just no herring because neither of us like it).

beachchick

Are we jumping the shark into a discussion of Scandinavian food? If so, count me in :D My husband's family is Sweedish (and Ukranian, but they most celebrate the Sweedish). Great breads and sweets, but every year when we go to the family reunion, everything else just scares me. The fish :confused: The gelatinous substances :confused: But oh my, the breads! I could eat those forever!

I haven't been on a Norwegian cruise, but I love school bread. Do they serve it on the ships?

The Norway used to serve this. Loved it! Used to get several types of Scandinavian and European breakfast foods as well including many types of cold meats and cheeses for breakfast.

Unfortunately the traditional foods went away with the Norway.:(

Dianne

I get school bread at Disney Epcot when we go. It is like a donut with a custard type cream inside with a glaze on top with coconut on top. If they were on the ship believe me I would have found them.

Yes, this is where I fell in love with it. It's a type of sweet bread that is shaped like a bread bowl. There is the vanilla custard in the middle with the icing and coconut on top. I have to make a trek to Walt Disney World every year to get my fix. My kids and I love getting schoolbread to eat while we sit and watch Illuminations. If I could've gotten it on a cruise, we would've been in heaven. DH because he's tired of going to WDW, and me because I could get my schoolbread and make DH happy. I still would miss my WDW though.

NCL still has amazing danishes for breakfast. WOW do I miss them.. They have one that is kind of in the shape of a bow tie (best way I can describe it) and it has some almond filling and sliced almonds on the outside.. OH GOD was it good. And they had all kinds of fruit danishes through out the week, not just in Cagneys, but on the buffet too.. AND YOU CAN NOT MISS their chocolate crossiant. TO DIE FOR.

I also wanted to tell you.. on the Star the concierge they had at the time arranged a private tour of the Galley for us. A memory of a life time for me as I love to bake. Took about two hours for the head chef to give us the tour.. he was a delight.. Chef Andre.. Anyway.. you will be surprised to know.. they do have a stash of the truely "Norwegian" food. The smoked and pickled fishes in gloppy jelly stuff, etc. They keep it onboard for when they have true Norwegian guest and it is requested. He said.. "well.. we are Norwegian cruise line.. how would it look if we had some people onboard from Norway but didn't have any of their beloved food for them".. LOL..

NCL still has amazing danishes for breakfast. WOW do I miss them.. They have one that is kind of in the shape of a bow tie (best way I can describe it) and it has some almond filling and sliced almonds on the outside.. OH GOD was it good. And they had all kinds of fruit danishes through out the week, not just in Cagneys, but on the buffet too.. AND YOU CAN NOT MISS their chocolate crossiant. TO DIE FOR.

I also wanted to tell you.. on the Star the concierge they had at the time arranged a private tour of the Galley for us. A memory of a life time for me as I love to bake. Took about two hours for the head chef to give us the tour.. he was a delight.. Chef Andre.. Anyway.. you will be surprised to know.. they do have a stash of the truely "Norwegian" food. The smoked and pickled fishes in gloppy jelly stuff, etc. They keep it onboard for when they have true Norwegian guest and it is requested. He said.. "well.. we are Norwegian cruise line.. how would it look if we had some people onboard from Norway but didn't have any of their beloved food for them".. LOL..

That's great to know. Have been on more than 13 NCL cruises and miss the Norwegian style food served on the Norway. Will be on the Spirit next week. Guess I'll request some of the food and pretend our family is Norwegian and not German.:cool:

Love the smoked fish and ``gloppy jelly stuff'' as much as I love the German dishes we ate during 2 years of living in Berlin, Germany years ago.

Dianne

OMG, those pastries you've described sound soooooo good, especially the chocolate crossiant. But, the tour of the galley sounds really cool too. I love cooking and baking and would love to take that kind of a tour. I'm just hoping at least for some cooking demonstrations that might be a little more advanced and not necessarily for beginners. And I can tell you, I must have relatives in Norway somewhere if it could possibly get me some of those yummy pastries everybody is talking about:D

That's great to know. Have been on more than 13 NCL cruises and miss the Norwegian style food served on the Norway. Will be on the Spirit next week. Guess I'll request some of the food and pretend our family is Norwegian and not German.:cool:

Love the smoked fish and ``gloppy jelly stuff'' as much as I love the German dishes we ate during 2 years of living in Berlin, Germany years ago.

Dianne

We were in Germany (my ex and I) for three weeks back years ago. They have the best food in Germany. All the way from McDonalds, to their produce markets, to the dairy stores, etc.

My ex is Jewish and I can remember watching his sweet little grandmother sitting down with a jar of gefilte fish and not eating the gefilte fish, but rather taking the schmaltz and spreading it on a cracker.. I thought I was going to lose my cookies .. LOL.. I am SUCH a Southern Gentile.. LOL

OMG, those pastries you've described sound soooooo good, especially the chocolate crossiant. But, the tour of the galley sounds really cool too. I love cooking and baking and would love to take that kind of a tour. I'm just hoping at least for some cooking demonstrations that might be a little more advanced and not necessarily for beginners. And I can tell you, I must have relatives in Norway somewhere if it could possibly get me some of those yummy pastries everybody is talking about:D

One tip if you ever do get the tour.. There will be a room somewhere on the tour where they prepair the fish. I don't mean cook the fish, I mean beheading the fish, slicing it up, etc. Now I have to tell you.. I am probably the strangest person you will ever meet when it comes to fish.. most specifically fish smell. If I smell something extremely fishy, I will lose my cookies almost immediately. Have no clue why I am that way, but it is just how I am. Well.. we are walking along on this tour.. and Chef Andre opens this door and invites us into this room and we step in and I freeze dead in my tracks. It is the fish prep room. He is just walking around it talking, Doug right behind him, a couple of crew members are chopping and slicing up some fish and there I am.. in the doorway on a black floor mat frozen, unable to move. LOL.. I might as well have been in a horror house or something.. I look down.. and there is like this layer of bright pink water on the floor and it sloshes to each corner of the room as the ship moves. All I can think of is "I have got to get out of this room before I pass out". LOL.. Doug looks over at me and realizes what is going on and quickly starts walking to me thinking I'm about to pass out too, my eyes in a glaze looking at this pink water on the floor. Doug gets over to me and pulls me out of the room with the Chef still in there just a talking up a storm.. After a minute or two all I can think of is I will have to throw away my dress shoes I was wearing when we get back to the room.. LOL.. It is funny to me now, but it was a terror for me when it happened. Other than that, the tour was wonderful.

You would be amazed at the sanitation of the galley.. and the steps they take to make sure there is no cross contanimation, etc. It was pristine. It was also amazing what they do with the food that is left on peoples plates. I don't know how many of you know they do this, but I thought it was neat. When they are cleaning off the plates, the food left on the plates go into one of two different holes. One hole is for food that they grind up and turn into fish food and the other is a hole where the food (mostly bones and pineapple hulls) and sent to be incinerated to the point they are powder. There are pictures right in front of where these two holes are to show the crew members what food should go in which hole. It was amazing to see it all.

....his sweet little grandmother sitting down with a jar of gefilte fish and not eating the gefilte fish, but rather taking the schmaltz and spreading it on a cracker..
Not to stray too far from the real topic, but in one German restaurant we were served an appetizer called Schmalz mit Speck. White with brown spots in it that you spread on crusty bread. The translation is "Lard with Bacon".:eek: It was really good.

We had an aft balcony on NCL Star a couple of years ago. One of the great memories there was smelling the baked goods in the morning.

Guten Appetit,

Charlie

Are we jumping the shark into a discussion of Scandinavian food? If so, count me in :D My husband's family is Sweedish (and Ukranian, but they most celebrate the Sweedish). Great breads and sweets, but every year when we go to the family reunion, everything else just scares me. The fish :confused: The gelatinous substances :confused: But oh my, the breads! I could eat those forever!

Hey, why not! If it's about food, it's got to be a good discussion.:D (Just don't ask me to eat any lutefisk!)

beachchick

I haven't been on a Norwegian cruise, but I love school bread. Do they serve it on the ships?

Yes, according to my Norwegian DH, but not as good as his mother made...grins. I don't eat sweets so I can't say how good it is or is not.

jw

Archived