The Practical Meaning of "Smart Casual"

From Virginia Beach

Going on my second cruise in January for my 40th Birthday and want to make sure I'm dressed appropriately. My only other cruise was NCL which appears to be much less formal than HAL. Wondering if I'm thinking along the right lines for "smart casual",

1. Black patent flip flop type sandals (no strap behind heel)

2. Melon colored sleeveless silk sweater

Also, wondering if bright plain short sleeve cotton tee-shirts from Talbots will be good enough during the day with Bermuda shorts and Keds? And would a chiffon knee length skirt with wooden beading with a black silk sleeveless sweater make it for formal night.

Better safe than sorry ... just want to make sure I fit in!

Wondering if I'm thinking along the right lines for "smart casual",

Kinda think you need something inbetween. :eek:

Yes, that sounds fine for smart casual. ;)

Also, wondering if bright plain short sleeve cotton tee-shirts from Talbots will be good enough during the day with Bermuda shorts and Keds?

Quite nice.

And would a chiffon knee length skirt with wooden beading with a black silk sleeveless sweater make it for formal night.

Wooden beading? :confused: I'd want to see it before commenting.

Going on my second cruise in January for my 40th Birthday and want to make sure I'm dressed appropriately. My only other cruise was NCL which appears to be much less formal than HAL. Wondering if I'm thinking along the right lines for "smart casual",

Also, wondering if bright plain short sleeve cotton tee-shirts from Talbots will be good enough during the day with Bermuda shorts and Keds? And would a chiffon knee length skirt with wooden beading with a black silk sleeveless sweater make it for formal night.

Better safe than sorry ... just want to make sure I fit in!

Hello Virginia Beach and welcome to CC! I want to forewarn you that there are some people on this board who have extremely strong feelings about "proper attire" on a HAL ship and they will be very vocal about it. I speak from experience as I asked a similar question before my first HAL cruise and the thread went on and on and it got kinda nasty at some points.

I was on the Eurodam 11/1 - 11/8 and the dress during the day was anything you feel comfortable in...seriously. T-shirt and shorts, swimsuit and cover-up, it's entirely up to you! I brought essentially the same clothes I wore on my April NCL cruise and fit right in during the day and on Smart Casual evenings.

I do want to say that on Formal Nights, some passengers go all out, some of them don't and some are in the middle. Here's my advice: if you feel good about what you're wearing, then wear it and be proud. Enjoy yourself and don't let the hard core advice on here get to you. You'll be fine... I promise!!

Diane

Smart casual and formal are a wide range for women.

The skirt with wooden beads sounds like it would be fine..if paired with a nice top (not a tee).

For the smart casual, I am usually in black slacks with something other than a tee shirt top - although sometimes it is a color tee with a sweater.

Note: Even on Carribean cruises, you need a sweater or shawl unless you one who is always warm. The ship is quite cool for me.

Shorts and a T-shirt are fine for daytime wear. No bathing suits in the buffet or dining room and shoes must be worn in any restaurant/buffet (for obvious reasons.)

Nice slacks or a skirt and a top are fine for "Smart Casual"; as for "Formal," a chiffon skirt with wooden beads and black silk sweater would be OK but you'd be a little under-dressed compared to most of the women. Perhaps the black silk sweater with black or white silk or crepe pants and a pretty wrap would be fine.

Wear what is comfortable for you! I like NCL because it is so casual. Last 2 trips hubby hasn't even put on sports jacket there. Have done the Noordam twice in the past 2 years. Hubby did have to have sports jacket there. For you...you will see everything from gowns to plain black slacks with a nice top. I'm in the "plain black slacks with nice top" group. You are never going to see these people again! Don't worry.

During the day...anything goes.

Archived