Las Rambles Shopping

Las Ramblas really refers only to the one street from the port area up to Placa Catalunya. I found it to be very touristy both in terms of restaurants and shops, with exception of the wonderful market about halfway up the street.

If you wander off Las Ramblas and into the Gothic Quarter you will find more interesting shops (leather, clothing, pottery, etc) and restaurants.

I'm not sure if I found any real "bargains" but the prices were not as high as in Italy or France. Shoes are the best buy I found.

It might have just been the time of year we were there....but there were tons of "booths" set up all along Las Ramblas when we were there. All kinds of stuff. We were there Dec. 2-3 last year and Christmas lights etc were all up. Very festive.

I bought some really pretty nice scarves (like everyone wears in Europe) from one vender for @ 5 euros each. Also there were lots of purses, belts etc etc.... just all kinds of stuff. Was lots of fun to look.

Also some neat shops near Sagadra Familia. Also vendor type booths near there too. Also the park (plaza) across the street was all set up with Christmas stuff when we were there. Locals were buying trees, wreaths, manger scenes, tree ornaments etc. Not really tourist stuff - more for locals. But I picked up some neat Christmas tree ornaments for gifts.

I also did not see any real bargains except from some street peddlars with products of questionable integrity. Their craft products came mostly from South America, not Spain.

There is a 7 story department store called Ingles at the top of Placa Catalyuna with a good selection of reasonably priced leather but hardly a bargain.

For deals, look to Istanbul, but be prepared to bargain hard and come loaded with information on the products you intend to purchase.

Las Ramblas is loaded with tourists and those that cater to them. What the heck, that''s what we are. Enjoy the adventure.

Archived