OPEN LETTER TO Mr Stein Kruse, Holland America Cruise Lines Ref MS Veendam assistance

JimVrhovac

Jim, Ruth and the capt. and crew of MS. Veendam!!

YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST!! :D

WAY TO GO!!

I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around!!;)

I can not wait to meet the two of you in February on the Crabby Yummer cruise!!

YOU ALL ROCK!!:D

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Teri and the Crabernets!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ruth and I would like to thank everyone for their kind comment.

While on the Statendam we booked a 28 day cruise(Ft Lauderdame to San Diego to Ft Lauderdale) and it does stop in Guatemala on the Pacific side.

We are going to try and get things set up again to do a deliver on that cruise in February 2010.

Have a great day.

Ruth & Jim

Jim and Ruth, thank you for what you have done for the children. My mom and I with my two children were on this cruise. We seen all the supplies being loaded on the boat and I thought that HAL maybe donating supplies but instead it was the two of you being special angels. I always bring small toys and some school supplies to give out in port. The people of Guatemala were so warm and welcoming. I ran out of toys and I wished that I had a suitcase full to give out. Thank you for being such special people. If only everyone could be so generous, the world might be a more loving place. Merry Christmas!

Jim: I don't know when you are going in Feb, but I am on the Statendam Feb 20th 14 day FLL to San Diego. If you are planning on doing anything on this portion of the cruise I would love to help. I have always wanted to do something like this, but don't know how to go about it! Hope to sail with you soon--God bless you for making a difference!

• 3 months later...
Below is a letter that Ruth and I are forwarding to Holland America commending the assistance that the Master and the crew of the MS Veendam gave us in getting charitable supplies to Guatemala:

Thru:

Ms. Sydney Lenor

Guest Relations Department

Holland America Cruise Line

300 Elliott Ave

Seattle, Washington 98117

To:

Mr. Stein Kruse

CEO

Holland America Cruise Line

300 Elliott Ave

Seattle, Washington 98117

Dear Mr. Kruse,

Ruth (my spouse) and I just cruised on the MS Veendam (November 16th thru November 23rd) on the Western Caribbean itinerary. We have written this letter to commend the actions of Captain Albert Jan Schoonderbeek, The officers, and the crew of the MS Veendam.

For several years we have been bringing school and medical supplies to Livingston, Guatemala while cruising on HAL ships. This past year we were able to acquire an extraordinary amount of equipment and supplies and bringing them to Livingston would not have been possible without the permission and assistance of the MS Veendam.

We contacted Captain Albert via email and he gave us permission to bring everything with us and offered us assistance. Nelly (Chief Housekeeper) coordinated with us throughout the process. They were able to obtain permission for us to unload the U Haul trailer in the stores delivery area and load them directly into luggage containers. Sandy, with Nolan Ship Agents, met us at the dock to insure that everything went smoothly, and it did. The containers were stored until we reached Guatemala and then crew members brought them off the ship and assisted us in loading them into Gus’s two boats. The ships Purser took care of all the administrative work in getting the supplies into country and performed admirably. There were so many crew members involved in the entire process that it is impossible to list them individually.

A recap of the supplies and equipment that we were able to deliver is as follows:

7 complete computers

8 boxes of computer supplies and equipment

18 boxes medical supplies

3 wheelchairs

7 walkers

17 boxes of school supplies

It would not have been possible for the children of Livingston to receive these supplies without the assistance of your company and the individuals that crew you ships.

You are to be commended for allowing your ships Masters the latitude to participate in projects such as this. Actions such as these are one of the reasons that we are loyal Holland America Cruise Line Customers.

Sincerely,

Ruth & James Vrhovac & the children of Livingston, Guatemala

JVrhoac@AOL.com

NOTE:

We will be posting a copy of the letter on the Cruise Critic Boards

We will try to post some pictures that we took at a later date..

I just returned from a journey on Veendam March 22, 2009. While on board I met Mama Lou. She spoke highly of you and sends you her regards.

Thank you so much for giving praise where it is due, as well as helping some of us who are less creative to think outside our small boxes. Keep up your great work! And what fun to learn more about all the wonderful posters here on CC.

I am new to this board (as you can see, not even up to triple digits yet), so I was unaware of Jim and Ruth's edifying generosity. I'm sure that HAL gets its share of self-absorbed hedonists, but I echo the observation that by and large the poster on this board are fine, decent, generous, caring, and sharing folks.

And, Jim and Ruth, by openly commending Captain Albert and bringing him and his crew to the attention of the CEO, you are also prodding the rest of us to go and do likewise. Of course, if we all set out to do exactly what you are doing, HAL would no doubt need to start clamping down with limits. No, we need to applaud you and assist you and support your efforts as you need, but we each need to find our own way to emulate you in our own environments.

My hat's off to you.

Blessed Easter to all!

Archived