Just back from the Jewel

nursallie

OP, it sounds like your experience with the food on the Jewel was very similar to my experience nearly 3 years ago. I was really hoping Freestyle 2.0 was really going to help the dinning part of Freestyle. It sounds to me like after Freestyle 2.0 is all said and done, there was more said than done. I didn't have any problems with the wait staff onboard, but if the food isn't good, the service just doesn't matter much.

How much more would it cost NCL to serve the same quality of meals in the dinning room that HAL offers? I would guess just 2 or 3 dollars a day, then Freestyle would be something I could get excited about.

There have been numerous threads on the HAL boards lately about how the quality of the food has gone down. I've sailed both lines and find NCL food to be on a par with HAL.

There have been numerous threads on the HAL boards lately about how the quality of the food has gone down. I've sailed both lines and find NCL food to be on a par with HAL.

I'm sorry to hear this, but it has been a year since I have been on HAL. I will be on the Ruby Princess in December and the Celebrity Solstice in January, I hope that I am not dissappointed with their dinner entres.

Hello,

I am not sure about karaoke every night. There were 2 Japanesesque (a la Lost in Translation) Karaoke rooms that are very small. We couldn't find them for the longest time. They are inside the Fizz lounge (where the art auctions are held).

We did not eat in the Specialty restaurants, so I can not talk about the food there. I did hear positive reviews from fellow cruisers about Le Bistro. They said the escargot was good.

I will have to look at my Freestyle daily papers to see when we arrived in Tortola.

You are right about the dressing up point you made, I probably thought slacks and collared shirts was dressing up (compared to jeans,sneakers). When I was referring to dressing up, I was not referring to the "formal nights" (I didn't even know there were formal nights). I just meant that a lot of people "dressed up" nightly, probably on the nights they went to Le Bistro. Teppanyaki is not really a dress up venue unless you want your formal wear to smell like oil (from the grill) when you leave.

I'm going to try and find answers to the other questions you guys posted now...

Allie

Thank you for all the info - can't wait until its our turn!

Did you find chair hogs in evidence around the pool or was it easy to get somewhere to sit in the sun?

Chair hogs were definitely there. But I was alone so I just squeezed in to a single empty chair.

Thanks for a great review. I can't wait for our turn.

Do you remember when you could disembark in Tortola? It shows in port at 10 and there is a 10:30 ferry to the Baths we would love to make. What do you think our chances are?

Hi,

According to my Freestyle Daily, we arrived in Tortola at 10am. We had an excursion "Tortola city tour with Botanical Gardens" that was supposed to meet at the end of the pier at 10:15. The tour left at 10:30 a.m. I am not sure if you will make it or not... sorry couldn't help more.

Good reviews and comments. I must agree with most. We were on the October 28th repositioning cruise from New York. We had a mini-suite and it had the most comfortable bed we have ever had on a cruise ship. Although, the cabin did not seem any larger than our balcony cabin on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I was diappointed in the room service.

The only items available were those from a very abbreviated list. In times past we were able to order items from the dinning room menu. Maybe that is all a thing of the past.

NCL seems to have reverted to the old days on smoking rules. A few smokers can spread their smoke far and wide.

All in all a very good cruise. The staff was very friendly. The service was good.

have your purchased any excursions from the NCL or privately on shore? or prearranged?

this is our first cruise and we are definitely trying to $ave $ome and do our own planning. so far we know how to do The Baths. We are sailing on 12/12!

have your purchased any excursions from the NCL or privately on shore? or prearranged?

this is our first cruise and we are definitely trying to $ave $ome and do our own planning. so far we know how to do The Baths. We are sailing on 12/12!

Jump over to the roll call for your cruise and find out what tours others are signing up for. Directions to roll call message boards, and ports of call are in the link below.

Enjoy your cruise!

Good reviews and comments. I must agree with most. We were on the October 28th repositioning cruise from New York. We had a mini-suite and it had the most comfortable bed we have ever had on a cruise ship. Although, the cabin did not seem any larger than our balcony cabin on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I was diappointed in the room service.

The only items available were those from a very abbreviated list. In times past we were able to order items from the dinning room menu. Maybe that is all a thing of the past.

NCL seems to have reverted to the old days on smoking rules. A few smokers can spread their smoke far and wide.

All in all a very good cruise. The staff was very friendly. The service was good.

You can order anything you want for room service....I know the menu is

kind of lmited but we ordered things from the dining room and they were

glad to bring it up....As long as it wasnt 3am..lol The breakfast menu that you put on the door at night is the same way, we just wrote in what we wanted and they always brought it to us......

We purchased all excursions through NCL just for convenience. But it was very expensive.

To save money, definitely check out independent tour companies. I've seen a lot of tour companies mentioned on the "Ports of Call" boards for each specific island (i.e. Tortola, Antigua, etc). But I would recommend booking thru NCL for Samana.

i've just read that tipping on Jewel IS required. do they force you to pay $10pp/day by putting the total on your room bill? how is it done? i don't like being told how much i should tip, if the service is good i will do my fair share. i will check my papers in the fine print, but your info would be greatly appreciated.

We were on the same cruise. It was both relaxing and enjoyable. We really enjoyed being able to take in a show at 7 and then pick from any of the specialty restaurants WITHOUT waiting even 5 minutes for a seat. We ate in LeBistro, Cagney's, Tepanyaki, Chin Chin's, Tango, Blue Lagoon (lunch), and Mama's...All great, but Cagney's was our favorite. I had the 10 ounce filet and it was the best cut I've had on a cruise ship. The main dining rooms, which we attended on 3 of the nine nights were also good. The service was very slow in Czar's, but in Azura it was nearly good. To the OP, the shrimp cocktail was my DW's favorite appetizer. Strange how taste's differ? Food is so subjective, it is probably the least effective way to rate a line. NCL was everything we expected. No pressure to do anything, except our own thing. To address the shore excursions; We used NCL excursions at all five ports. We had no complaints at all. Thinking retrospectively, I would book through NCL again, they handle the disembarkation at each port very efficiently and also send the shore excursion representatives with you on many excursions. Peit, one of the reps was with us at Accra beach in Barbados. This demonstrates NCL's commitment to ensuring guest safety and enjoyment. We're definitely not NCL people, or loyal to any cruise line, but we will have to try the freestyle experience again. If you go in with an open mind and remember that NCL is different in it's presentation and style, you will enjoy yourself. Oh yes, one more thing. You must take the initiative to take part in activities, NCL treats you as the intelligent being that you are and prints the activities in the Freestyle Daily. It's up to you to take part.

My husband and I were on the Jewel on this itinerary last March and did make it to the 10:30 ferry. We were some of the first people to disembark in Tortola. We walked quickly to the ferry and got there around 10:20. A couple in line behind us took a cab. They said the fare was either $3 for the cab or $3 per person (memory lapse).

My husband and I were on the Jewel on this itinerary last March and did make it to the 10:30 ferry. We were some of the first people to disembark in Tortola. We walked quickly to the ferry and got there around 10:20. A couple in line behind us took a cab. They said the fare was either $3 for the cab or $3 per person (memory lapse).

Thank you so much. We are fast walkers and if we get off at 10 we can easily make it.

I have to agree with DOIT, A very nice cruise week! Nurs, we enjoyed the shrimp cocktail as well, and all the specialty rest were enjoyable and good food. I even had pasta prepared exactly as I requested twice and they sent Tiramisu with us twice.

One note I will disagree with you on was the upgrade of a couple from a balcony to the GV. Both GV had groups of 4 in them, no couples and they paid the upgrade. We spoke with them as well as others and had the scoop while onboard.

If looking for a good tour agent in St. Lucia check out Cosol in the St. Lucia Forum and make sure you watch your roll call. It is good to work up groups from the boat to go together.

Cosol did a fabulous job! Best excursion and everyone in our group raved about it. You get a taste of the island with his island lunch and snacks, drinks are plentiful and they want to give you as much as you want of all of it! Never had that on any other excursion.

We have high expectations and NCL met our expectations and have on every cruise. My only negatives are bad Spinich dip & Runny Salad Dressing. Everything else if it wasn't perfect was made perfect.

I have to agree with DOIT' date=' A very nice cruise week! Nurs, we enjoyed the shrimp cocktail as well, and all the specialty rest were enjoyable and good food. I even had pasta prepared exactly as I requested twice and they sent Tiramisu with us twice.

One note I will disagree with you on was the upgrade of a couple from a balcony to the GV. Both GV had groups of 4 in them, no couples and they paid the upgrade. We spoke with them as well as others and had the scoop while onboard.

If looking for a good tour agent in St. Lucia check out Cosol in the St. Lucia Forum and make sure you watch your roll call. It is good to work up groups from the boat to go together.

Cosol did a fabulous job! Best excursion and everyone in our group raved about it. You get a taste of the island with his island lunch and snacks, drinks are plentiful and they want to give you as much as you want of all of it! Never had that on any other excursion.

We have high expectations and NCL met our expectations and have on every cruise. My only negatives are bad Spinich dip & Runny Salad Dressing. Everything else if it wasn't perfect was made perfect.[/quote']

Hi there,

I do recall mentioning a couple we heard of upgrading from a balcony to GV, but I think it was on another thread... not sure though.

Well, if I wasn't clear, the true story about that was:

on the airport shuttle from the ship to FL airport, my husband and I met a nice couple. This couple was just off the Gem and we swapped stories comparing Jewel and Gem. They are the ones that told us about a couple they met on the Gem that got upgraded from a balcony room to the Garden Villa. Apparently the people who got the upgrade were in the hotel business and had "connections". But this is a second hand story.

Well now there have been at least 3 mentions of how horrible that spinach dip was... maybe someone from NCL will read this and get the hint. But as you said, that's just a small detail. The cruise was a fun,memorable experience.

We just got back from the Star. We partied in the Garden Villa with the nice folks who were up there.

Just like old times!!!

MrTractor<---------didn't have to save any one from drowning in the Courtyard pool this time!!!..:rolleyes:.......

Just enjoyed a cruise with Bob and Fran, hope we can all do one soon again! Dang, maybe we should get a group to do the GV, would it survive!!! Guess it has before:eek:

Tell Golden G Hello!

Did you know that they had big shrimp cocktails in the Garden Cafe? I was shocked after having the baby shrimps in the dining room. After that, I made a point of going to the Garden Cafe and bringing one or two ( only 2 shrimps per cocktail ) back to our cabin for a pre-dinner cocktail.:D

Sounds like you enjoyed your cruise. Thanks for the review.

On our Jade cruise last summer, our first appetizer in the main dining room had those teeny shrimp too. We all had a good laugh and toked it up to experience.

We'll be on the Jewel next August...thanks for the tip regarding where the BIG SHRIMP (isn't that an oxymoron?) are located!!!!

We were also on the same cruise. I believe there was a no jeans rule in the two main free dining rooms at night which may have resulted in the dress comments. I always wore a pair of dress pants and a nice shirt in the all of the dining rooms and I always felt that comfortable with the choice. That included the two specialty restaurants that we ate in, Italian and Cagney's which are both worth the extra charge. All the best.

Archived