Booking Direct - or through Websites

rnmmom

We booked our first cruise through an on-line TA and have booked every one since ourselves directly with Carnival. I think it's best to deal with them direct, don't have to worry about comissions or dealing with a TA if I have questions or need to make changes.

We booked our first cruise through an on-line TA and have booked every one since ourselves directly with Carnival. I think it's best to deal with them direct, don't have to worry about comissions or dealing with a TA if I have questions or need to make changes.

Times are a bit risky with online TA's closing- Be SAFE !

Commissions of a TA have nothing to do with the client or the cost of their cruise... they do not pay the TA's commissions, the cruiseline does !

To answer the OP.... you will get a wide variety of answers on this stemming from "I like to be in total control of my booking" to "I book with a TA because they give me OBC or other perks that the cruiseline cannot do" (unless for a rate reduction after final payment).

It's really what you are the most comfortable with.

Commissions of a TA have nothing to do with the client or the cost of their cruise... they do not pay the TA's commissions, the cruiseline does !

With all the talk of OBC and some TA not wanting to give them out or reducing the OBC due to commissions. It has become an issue for clients.

That depends on the TA. They can charge you whatever you're willing to pay, and any amount above what they're getting the room for could be considered commission, or their fee, or whatever. I'm not saying TA's are dishonest.

That depends on the TA. They can charge you whatever you're willing to pay, and any amount above what they're getting the room for could be considered commission, or their fee, or whatever. I'm not saying TA's are dishonest.

I have yet to deal with a TA that MARKED UP the cruise fare.....if they cannot offer it at minimum, what the cruiseline is selling it for, I would not do business with them.

With all the talk of OBC and some TA not wanting to give them out or reducing the OBC due to commissions. It has become an issue for clients.

TA's have it tough right now I do agree.... but they are silly to reduce the OBC due to commission loss.... the good TA's running a good business and providing good customer service will make it thru these tough times and come out ahead when times turn around I really think. :cool:

I have yet to deal with a TA that MARKED UP the cruise fare.....if they cannot offer it at minimum, what the cruiseline is selling it for, I would not do business with them.

There is a very popular online travel site that uses a gnome in advertising, that charges $19.95 per booking.

But there are many who do not have the time, or savvy, or inclination to know what the cruise lines are selling it for, so they go to a TA to do that for them, and the TA provides that service for a fee, deservedly so.

For somebody just wanting a deal and not willing to do the research to find it then a ta is the way to go. For those that like to do research and find the best deal the booking direct is probly better.

On my first cruise used a TA. Found out on the second cruise when I called the TA I knew more about it than she did. So on this one I have booked I just called and booked through Carnival and have had no problems. If I have a question i just call the 800 #. I work third shift so sometimes i just call in the middle of the night to talk to them and ask questions i already know.

I attempted to just go direct on my cruise this past April and did book thru them but he had to immediately call and turn me to Travelocity in order for me to get the upgrades he himself could not do it!But than the price drops on the cruise and than Travelocity had to call Carnival to get the discount! So they both have their advantages

-----------------

Ruth

I like to book direct with a Carnival PVP, because I have been able to get price reductions in the past by calling my PVP when I have noticed a price drop.

I like being able to deal directly with Carnival. They aren't allowed to speak with you about your cruise if you do not book with them directly.

As for cancellation fees, it's not hard to find online TA's that don't have them. often, too, you can get them waived, so long as you demand it before finalizing your booking.

The savings are immense, I don't see what's so great about booking direct.

I use this online/email only TA - I don't have the personal relationship that others have with their TA's, but I still adore them... They have always gotten me the rock bottom best price and they will lower my price when there's a price drop (until final payment, then its as per Carnival's rules - upgrade or OBC). I've always gotten my quote from the TA and then called a Carnival PVP, but they never were able to meet or beat the price. Anything that I've read of people being able to do because they've booked directly with Carnival, I have been able to do with my TA. And although I can't talk to Carnival about my booking specifically, I do call them with general questions I have about the ship or about policy. I feel that if I'm not sacrificing service, that I might as well go with the cheaper option ;-)

I have always booked directly with Carnival. I have more control. I have noticed price decreases and have been able to get onboard credits since I responded right away. I know all the details are arranged to my liking. I never use a TA for anything. I book air directly with airlines.

I usually book with directly with the cruise line one because if you want to make changes there is no middle person to deal with and the other is I once booked 2 cabins and was told I was going to get an OBC for both rooms and at the end when we received our final bills we only had the OBC for one room. The pursers desk told me I had to contact my TA and they would have to take care of it. Bottom line I call the TA when I got home several times and she kept telling me she was working on it and nothing was ever done so I lost.

rnmmom - the advantages of booking with the On-Line sites is that they often have discounted prices IF YOU CALL THEM and often offer credits like $50 Mastercards or OBC or free (minimal) trip insurance; you need to make sure they don't charge booking fees, fees for price drops and cancellation fees, and that they charge your CC direct to Carnival, and that they won't go under.

TA's are about the same situation, and can often get you into one of their own "Groups" that are discounted and offer perks like OBC, goodies, etc. and should be able to assist you in explaining different promo rates and booking options, and cabin locations. Same things to watch for. Some TA's won't do price adjustments.

Booking with Carnival PVP you should first do some research on specific ships, cruise itineraries and cabin locations. Carnival looks to be more "flexible" in granting price adjustments and in directly handling your "problems" without a middleman (TA). You would probably want to book airfare yourself and not thru Carnival as part of the package - IMO they have a tendancy to make you aware of your flight itinerary at the last minute and to schedule arrivals much too close to ship departure.

ken

Booking with Carnival

Using a TA will always result in significant savings. Shop around, and make sure to CALL, because the prices listed on the website match Carnival's prices.

You are clueless. A TA normally will not get you any better price than you can get through Carnival. All they can do is give you a rebate of their commission or some on board credit based on the fact that they have a block of rooms reserved as a group and have bought them at a discount. When they do that you do not get price reductions, etc.

You are clueless. A TA normally will not get you any better price than you can get through Carnival. All they can do is give you a rebate of their commission or some on board credit based on the fact that they have a block of rooms reserved as a group and have bought them at a discount. When they do that you do not get price reductions, etc.

Clueless ??? How So ??? If a TA gives a lower price than thru the cruiseline by means of commission rebate, OBC, pre paid gratuities, etc.... how does booking direct thru the cruiseline come out cheaper ??? It's all about the bottom line and the cruiseline CANNOT provide some of the above perks that a TA can provide. Perhaps you need to recheck your math when it comes to the total costs a TA can offer to a client when you factor in all those extras they may be able to provide !

You don't have to like working with a TA and that is OK, but many folks including myself have found that their TA has been an asset regarding overall pricing and assistance they can offer to their clients. Service does have a value in my book and I prefer to deal with my TA who goes to bat for me if and when needed...... it's all a matter of opinion I guess, and mine is different than yours.

Archived