Pearl Balconies

willift

I was in Key West last week & the Pearl was dock there for the afternoon. Blown off course or something. Anyway, I saw these balcony cabins with what looked like black canvas tarps covering up the balcony portion. They seemed to have plastic windows in them.

What's the story? Does anyone know about them?

Never sailed NCL, traditionally on RCCL but beginning to look at options and this ship look interesting.

I think those were the penthouse suites you were looking at. Were there three regular balconies between each "black thing". The penthouses on the 11th floor are twice the width of the mini suites, but have the same size balcony, the black portion is a window (I never got to see inside of one, but we had a minisuite right next to one two weeks ago.

That could be the blackened window frame on the AB Penthouse suite. We were in this in Feb on the Jewel and it does look odd. That part next to the balcony is the shower and bath. You can step out in the shower which has a full length window and it's pretty open to the world! I have pictures of it in my link.

willift, just wondering what you mean by "blown off course?!" What day was this?! Wow! We were on the Nov. 1st sailing...guess even with all our rain, we had pretty good luck since we hit all of our scheduled ports!:o

I'm pretty sure it was Saturday. We asked one of the pax and they said it was to windy to make their last port, one of th eprivate islands in the Bahamas so they stopped in Key west. It was a pretty windy week, RCCL had a ship show up a day early for the same reason, I think it was Majesty.

Hey,

We were on the Pearl last week and were diverted to Key West instead of their private island. It worked out great for us because we are not beach people. The winds in the Bahamas were very strong and the Captain was concerned because we had to tender in. We were the only ship on Saturday in Key West and had our run of the island.

Hey, I was on the Pearl last week, and yes, we were sent to Key West because of the poor conditions in the Bahamas. I was on the front of the boat in a Penthouse, and I think you may have seen where the bridge partially covers the room I was in. It's in the middle of deck ten, and right below the bridge, so it could have looked like a cover. Hope this helps!:D

Hey, I was on the Pearl last week, and yes, we were sent to Key West because of the poor conditions in the Bahamas. I was on the front of the boat in a Penthouse, and I think you may have seen where the bridge partially covers the room I was in. It's in the middle of deck ten, and right below the bridge, so it could have looked like a cover. Hope this helps!:D

Thanks for your input but

No, it wasn't the bridge. These were distinct black canvas like things. There probably were 3 or 4 balconies covered up like this.

How'd you like The Pearl, we're beginning to think about trying another line other than RCCL

You guys were lucky. I would much prefer a port call in Key West to Great Stirrup Cay. There is so much more to do in Key West and a chance to eat far superior food to what is served at the beach BBQ.

I am not dissing The Pearl. We really liked that ship and would sail on her again in the future.

I am not a private island fan myself and I would have enjoyed Key West. My hubby loves the private island/beach days though.

We have been to Coco Cay, Princess Cay, Half Moon Cay, and Castaway Key. I felt Great stirrup Cay compared nicely. Only Castaway Key is nicer. Half Moon Cay does have these cabanas you can rent-but they are NOT cheap. What I liked about NCL/ great Stirrup Cay-was lots of shade and plenty of hammocks and no charge for the hammocks! Half Moon Cay had no shade-unless you rented a clam shell or the more expensive cabana.

We found it too cool to go swimming this past Saturday-but it was still a nice relaxing day.

Archived