Penalty Phase

firhill

Hi,

First Time poster here...... Planning on booking a Feb cruise ASAP.

Just finished reading a couple of hours worth of threads and have many questions. Thanks to all for all the great info.

One thing that popped up a few times I'm not quite sure of is the "Penalty Phase" referred to regarding bookings.

Could some one give me a quick explanation of what that is in reference to the booking, final payment and departure date?

Thanks

Hi,

First Time poster here...... Planning on booking a Feb cruise ASAP.

Just finished reading a couple of hours worth of threads and have many questions. Thanks to all for all the great info.

One thing that popped up a few times I'm not quite sure of is the "Penalty Phase" referred to regarding bookings.

Could some one give me a quick explanation of what that is in reference to the booking, final payment and departure date?

Thanks

Never heard about the penalty phase in 5 cruises. Book and enjoy. Don't read too much of the small stuff, it will drive you crazy. Just my opinion, Kaboochi

Thanks for the quick response.

So, if I book a 7-day Feb 1/09(less than 75 days away) depart I would already be in penalty phase as the payment would have to be made in full on booking.

This brings me to another Q....

When booking this would I have to specifically name all four passengers as I'm not sure the date(s) suit one of my son's schedule?

Thanks again

Thanks for the quick response.

So, if I book a 7-day Feb 1/09(less than 75 days away) depart I would already be in penalty phase as the payment would have to be made in full on booking.

This brings me to another Q....

When booking this would I have to specifically name all four passengers as I'm not sure the date(s) suit one of my son's schedule?

Thanks again

Call carnival directly, a vac. planner will help; wether you are ready to book today or not.

Get every question you have answered, you'll rest easier and look forward to your departure as it gets closer.

Good luck1

At time of booking I believe you DO have to name all passengers; you CAN change a name later for a $50 fee. You may, then, have to defer booking until you KNOW the passengers. Also, if you're booking within the penalty window, you'll have to pay the full amount and you should be aware of the penalties for canceling. ken

I thought that if you cancel after you have made the final payment (and within the penalty phase) you will lose much more than just the deposit. I thought that you lose either the price for the single passenger that you're cancelling or the entire cost if you are cancelling the entire cruise.

I could be wrong so anyone can feel free to correct me.

I thought that if you cancel after you have made the final payment (and within the penalty phase) you will lose much more than just the deposit. I thought that you lose either the price for the single passenger that you're cancelling or the entire cost if you are cancelling the entire cruise.

You are right, although I don't know the exact numbers. If you cancel in the 'penalty phase' (after final payment), you do lose some of the fare. Hence the name 'penalty phase'.

Let me look and see what I can come up with for numbers.

A ha! Here you go:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

6. CANCELLATION BY GUEST, REFUNDS

Reservations will be held until 30 minutes prior to departure. No refunds will be made in the event of “no shows”, unused tickets, lost tickets, interruptions, partially used tickets, or cancellations received late or after the start of the cruise. A cancellation occurs when a stateroom is released and not simultaneously rebooked on the same sailing. Carnival strongly recommends the purchase of trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent. Cancellation charges for individual bookings will be assessed as listed below. For cancellation charges related to group bookings, partial ship charters or full ship charters refer to your charter contract or group booking agreement for terms and conditions.

(see table in #6...I can't get it to C&P right!)

You can cancel and only lose your deposit from 75 to 30 days prior to sailing on 6, 7 and 8 night cruises and 60-30 days on the shorter ones (2, 3, 4, 5). After that, you being losing fare as well.

60 days before a shorter cruise final payment is due, 75 before a 7 day cruise. the date your final payment is due, after that you are in penalty phase, cannot cancel without at least losing your deposit.

You'll note firefly333, said at LEAST you'll lose your deposit. I book last minute so none of this ever applies to me, but there is a set formula with the percentages you lose as you approach your sail date.

Archived