Excursions forPanama Canal

DDMau

I been hearing about excursions in the Panama Canal. When we did the canal cruise Oct. 3, 2008 we were not offered any excursions. :confused:

My questions are.

1. Which cruise lines offer canal excursions.

2. What are the excursions.

This info should be either in your cruise brochure or on your cruiselines website--or call the cruiseline!

Panama isn't a place you can go "on your own"--it is usually a ship's excursion, and they are generally quite lengthy--5-8 hours. If your ship is doing either the full transit or a partial transit, you really don't need to get off the ship to see the canal. Whenever a ship goes through the canal, a navigator is onboard, and will be telling the passengers about everything...the construction, operation, history, etc.... andd you will be able to see the operation from the ship. There's really no need to pay extra for excursions at this "port".

I been hearing about excursions in the Panama Canal. When we did the canal cruise Oct. 3, 2008 we were not offered any excursions. :confused:

My questions are.

1. Which cruise lines offer canal excursions.

2. What are the excursions.

From what I've seen, they all do. What line did you go with?

Well, I can only speak from our cruise on the Summit in Jan. '07 - it was a full transit and Celebrity did offer some side trips as the ship transitted the

canal - the downside was that passengers got off at the beginning of the

transit and met up with the ship 7 hours later when we were almost through the canal. I also think it was along the lines of a fishing trip - we

had a more interesting day on board and passing under the Bridge of the

Americas and the Centennial Bridge was not to be missed. The ship had

some very informative speakers and TV presentations prior to arriving there which made a huge difference in the overall experience. We had

a great time. ;)

Panama has some neat things to offer. However, if you have not been on a Canal transit, particularly a full transit, you owe it to yourself to stay on the ship. If you would like to see more of Panama, and I recommend you do, schedule a partial transit cruise which provides a great opportunity to take tours in Panama. A partial transit will seem like an entirely different cruise.

Thats is kinda what I was thinking, on the full transit staying on the ship has so much more to offer. I was just wondering what the excursions were. I have heard about a train and ferry.

The ferry excursion is for people doing a partial transit of the canal. It takes you from Gatun Lake to the Pacific so that you go through the entire canal. Then you return by bus and meet the ship after it goes back through the Gatun locks.

To add to JudyNorth above, the partial transits offer shore excursions. Now this is on Princess. I have been on a partial transit as well as a full transit. The partials are 10 day r/t tarip out of Ft. lauderdale and offer the train and ferry rides to the pacific side. Full transits there are no excursions as it takes all day to go through the canal. Just go to the shore excursions on the princess site or do a search for cruises that do partial transits. They are usually 10 days and are on the Coral/Island ships.

Marilyn

Princess will start offering 15 day full transit cruises, but I foget when they start. I am booked on one in Feb. 2010. At any rate the extra day was added so that you get a full day port stop in Panama. As with any other port, there are shore excursions offered. So with the new 15 day itinerary you get that extra day in Panama and the full day transit through the canal. Best of both.

Princess will start offering 15 day full transit cruises, but I foget when they start. I am booked on one in Feb. 2010. At any rate the extra day was added so that you get a full day port stop in Panama. As with any other port, there are shore excursions offered. So with the new 15 day itinerary you get that extra day in Panama and the full day transit through the canal. Best of both.

We are on the Sea Princess repositioning to Alaska departing Fort Lauderdale May 9th full transit to San Francisco; we have a stop in Puerto Amador after we transit the Canal starting at 5:00p.m. until 10:00p.m. which offers a night tour to Old Panama City; Miraflores Locks by Night etc. Haven't checked all the tours yet.

SOM

Archived