Taxis

Mark

I have two questions about taxis

What is the fare from San Juan Airport to Pan American Pier (Royal Caribbean) for one person with two suitcases?

Is it difficult to get a taxi at the airport or at the pier for the return trip to the airport? I would really prefer taking a taxi rather than the Royal Caribbean bus!

Please advise

thanks

I have two questions about taxis

What is the fare from San Juan Airport to Pan American Pier (Royal Caribbean) for one person with two suitcases?

Is it difficult to get a taxi at the airport or at the pier for the return trip to the airport? I would really prefer taking a taxi rather than the Royal Caribbean bus!

Please advise

thanks

It is real easy to get a taxi at the airport. It is about $20 to get to Pan Am pier. There are threads that have the exact taxi rates on here.

Hijacking your taxi thread....with another question or two. :)

Here's the page with the rates that I got from another post - http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Can anyone answer another question for me? When it says $1 per bag, is that just for your larger, rolling type bags? Or handheld bags too? My husband and I travel with 2 29" upright rolling bags, 1 or 2 21" upright rolling bags, plus a backpack each. So would I just be charged for the 4 rolling bags, or would I also be charged for the 2 backpacks that we'll hold on our laps at all times?

Are there big taxis available? Can we fit 4 adults plus baggage (I figure about 4 large 29" bags, 4 smaller 21" rolling bags, plus 4 backpacks total based on last year's cruise) in a single taxi to get from our hotel in zone 2 to the Adventure terminal on the PanAm pier (at least that's where I think it's docked based on other posts) in zone 5?

Thanks for the info!

The $1/per bag is for suitcases ... "checked luggage" so to speak. You should not be charged for the "carry-ons". The charge should be for luggage in the trunk of the taxi.

The taxis are either cars or mini-van type vehicles. Not sure how it's decided which you get. Probably based on number of people and amount of luggage.

The fixed rate taxi fares are for "up to 5 people".

Hope this helps!

I mostly travel only with a 22" carry-on (and nothing else: no computer bag, no duty free, nothing else - all inside my carry-on) and the numb-nuts at our airport NEVER fail to mark it as a suitcase. I've argued them to death with it to no avail. It's not such a big deal money wise but it's a matter of principle for me...

The people from our Tourism Company that will fill out a slip for you with the exact rate are more on the cab's side than on the tourist's side - at least that has been my observation when returning home. Mostly these are young college type kids that I've seen - over and over - being intimidated by the cab drivers. I don't mean intimidated in a physical/danger sense, more in that rude sense.

So, for the backpacks, they may (!) charge even if you put them on your lap...

I look at it this way: if they charge it, then no tip. If they don't, that's part of the cabbie's tip.

I mostly travel only with a 22" carry-on (and nothing else: no computer bag, no duty free, nothing else - all inside my carry-on)

So, for the backpacks, they may (!) charge even if you put them on your lap...

I look at it this way: if they charge it, then no tip. If they don't, that's part of the cabbie's tip.

YOU are obviously an expert packer, mixer and matcher and packing guru!!:D

Thank you megr1125! In fact, I recently came back from a 5 day trip to Miami which included a 3 night cruise and did it all with that carry-on. But honestly, it didn't leave any room for any souvenirs had I chosen to buy any.

The keys are: wear the sneakers and pack the softer dress shoes for the flights, every shirt does double duty (clean at dinner the night before and then daytime use the following day) so they are chosen accordingly to do that (I look dashing on excursions...), all socks are used twice too (following the shirt example) and I wear some nice khaki slacks on the flights and pack the shorts. I often pack very few toiletries and just buy new ones at my destination (there's no need to haul things like shaving cream, mouth wash, or tanning lotions around: just stop by a convenience store with the cab on the way to the hotel).

Archived