Tours in Seward

born2cruize

Several threads discuss post or pre cruise tours out of Seward. Would those same remarks be fitting for someone who will be in Seward from 0800 - midnight?

My wife and I are on the Norwegian Dream which is an 11-day round trip out of Seattle. In our case Seward will be a port-of-call, not an embarkation or debarkation port.

Thanks

There is a lot to do right in Seward area -- SeaLIfe Center, Exit Glacier, wildlife excursion into Resurrection Bay. Check out [url="http://www.sewardnet.com/"]http://www.sewardnet.com/[/url] for some idea.. You will get as many opinions and recommendations as there are responses so pick what interests you! There are several kayaking outfitters as well if that interests you.. It's a charming town IMHO only and definitely worth the day if you don't want a more hurried day in Anchorage.

Sure. I'm sure the cruiseline's excursions actually match pretty closely with the independent touring suggested here. The longer you stay, the more you can do, but 8 am - 11 pm is quite a bit of time. My personal preferences would be a kayaking trip or a boat tour into the Kenai Fjords National Park for wildlife (whales, puffins, seals, sea lions, otters) and an upclose glacier experience unlike what you get on a large cruise ship.

For clarification you want a boat tour OUT Of Resurrection Bay, not the short tours within it. Request their visitor guide [url]www.sewardak.org[/url] My suggestion would be a priority for a boat tour of at least 6 hours- you won't see wildlife nor your glaicer this close. Exit Glacier is ok - has significantly receeded in the past 5 years- probabaly by half. There will be a trolley into town and the Sea Life Center, nice city museum, library for internet access. :)

A valid clarification. I too was speaking of the 6 hours tour that gets you out of Resurrection Bay and into the NP proper for the best viewing...typically the tour name includes Kenai Fjords rather than Ressurection Bay. There is an even longer version if really interested.

We did, and took the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour. It was one of our favorites of the whole trip. Loads of wildlife and beautiful scenery. We had a nice calm day. We had a whale breach about 50 feet away from the boat, and were up close and personal with about 20 different species.

We took a day-long boat tour of Kenai Fjords when we were in Seward following our cruise. It was the highlight of our trip to Alaska. We saw orcas (they swam right under the boat), sea lions, puffins, sea otters, seals and all sorts of birds. We also saw many glaciers. We booked our tour at the marina and lunch was provided. We took tons of pictures and had a fantastic day.

Archived