My questions LOL

Diddles62

Apart from feeling sick from being anxious and excited, I need some information re money for Noumea, I am a bit confused as to whether DH and I can use our Aussie Dollars or if we have to get it changed, have read so many different things and we are confused.

Secondly DH insists on taking his laptop "Gggrrrrr" has anyone done this also can you pick up wireless internet.

Thirdly which do you suggest to be the most effective for seasickness the band or travel calm, we are also a bit confused with this one as well .

Just gotta ask or I wont know.

Thanks in advance

What do you plan to do in Noumea? If you want to take the Noumea Explorer bus you will need 1,000xpf pp. The aquarium and the Tjibaou Cultural Centre only take xpf as do the taxis. We found that they took Aus dollars in the markets. If you want to take a sight-seeing trip in a bus or in the 'train' you can buy this in the cruise terminal with Aus dollars. :)

Evon.

Secondly DH insists on taking his laptop "Gggrrrrr" has anyone done this also can you pick up wireless internet.

I have not yet been on the Pacific Dawn yet, so I cant give much info about the wireless internet on there, but if your DH can find a wifi hotspot on the ship then he should be able to check your e-mail.

Also another good thing about taking a laptop with you is that you can download your digital cameras.

Thirdly which do you suggest to be the most effective for seasickness the band or travel calm, we are also a bit confused with this one as well .

I would take both & if you fell seasick then you can try both of them to see which one works best for you :), you may find you need both the bands and travel calm (Don’t know what they are, never head of them before)

Hope this helps :)

Hi Diddles,

If you want to purchase some thing in Noumea, outside of the terminal, You will need to change your aussie $$ for xpf.

As for sea sickness tabs, suffer from motion sickness and have tried all sorts of medication. All the natural products, and wrist bands, quells, travel calm etc do not work for me. I find for me I need to take phenergan tablets every day. This does make me a little tired, but would rather be tired than sick :p..... Oh and I still find I can drink my lovely cocktails and wine.:D

Good luck with whatever you decide to try, but if you don't normally get motion sickness you may not need anything......although for your first cruise I would take something just in case, probably in the morning of the cruise then at night before bed.

There is wireless internet on board the Dawn , but I'm not sure of the details.

I Hope you don't get seasick.I am going to take quells and get a travel band.My mum is going on the cruise too she has been on about 8 and doesn't get seasick. She still gets very excited about going on a cruise. Mum says you can also use your mobile on the ship now if you have international roaming on it, i still think it is quite expensive to use it. Also in Noumea as it is quite expensive alot of people make the mistake of changing too much money into pf and don't use it all i have been told.:).

You will need xpt (South Pacific Francs) for things onshore. Our first cruise got into Noumea late (8.30pm instead of 3pm) and the itinerary was changed for us to spend the next day in full in Noumea.

We went ashore after dinner and not much was open but we did find a bar around by the boat harbour. On our way back we stopped at a ATM machine and took out 5000xpf to cover us for the next day, only problem was it spat out one note, a 5000xpf note:eek:, we were horrified as we thought it would give us maybe 10 x 500xpf notes. Anyway back onboard the pursers desk swapped it for smaller notes for us to use the next day. Smaller notes are certainly better as most shop keepers wont give you the change if the note is too big.

Happy sailing:cool:

Thanks for that Eagleboy, what is Quells? not heard of that one before.

Hi, Diddles i did spelll kwells wrong its a motion sickness tablet i thinkits about the orginal oneyou buy them from the chemist is under ten dollars a pack

Ok another question.

What do you do with your things etc whilst snorkelling or swimming etc or do you leave them on the beach like we do here in Australia?

We always have (with no problems) - although we limit the valuables we take with us. We'll often go over on a tender in the morning and video, photograph, look around, etc. Then go back to the ship and come back with our togs and towels - so we're not leaving cameras, etc on the beach.

Be careful though and remember where you leave your things ... all those blue and white striped towels look the same!!!

What do you do with your things etc whilst snorkelling or swimming etc or do you leave them on the beach like we do here in Australia?

Just leave them on the beach, in a bag, and maybe cover the bag in your towels, leave anything valuable on the ship in one of their safes.

Hope this helps :)

Archived