Stressing out over your flight

DDMau

Found elsewhere.

"I have been reading how people book early post cruise and late pre cruise flights, then they are worried about making their connections. All the stress that is put on you has to effect the enjoyment of your cruise. There is always something to do before or after the cruise, even if you just find some place to sit down and talk about the fun you will have or just had. I understand there are some places that have limited flights, try to book the early in and latest out that is available, or even a pre or post day stay. The stress of getting to or back can make for a bad cruise."

Found elsewhere.

"I have been reading how people book early post cruise and late pre cruise flights, then they are worried about making their connections. All the stress that is put on you has to effect the enjoyment of your cruise. There is always something to do before or after the cruise, even if you just find some place to sit down and talk about the fun you will have or just had. I understand there are some places that have limited flights, try to book the early in and latest out that is available, or even a pre or post day stay. The stress of getting to or back can make for a bad cruise."

I'm afraid I'm one of those who do stress out before a flight/cruise. We find that cruising in December is the best time for us due to my auto-immune problems (the high heat/sun or the hurricane season). However by cruising this month or even later during the winter presents the problem of our flights being delayed or even cancelled! So I do tend to freak out and fly in the day before (this yr by 2 days!). My DH doesn't mind starting our cruise earlier however this yr our son and DIL are also onboard. He thinks I'm being entirely paranoid and doesn't want to go early, etc. but his wife is behind me so... We have had our flights cancelled before and last year not only cancelled but almost missed the cruise because of weather and the airlines giving our flight crew to another! Some people flying out the same day of their cruise did miss their ship and had to be flown to the next port which was 2 days away! So this is why I tend to stress and freak out! :eek: Snow has already started here now so the freaking has begun! ha ha

to avoid stress like that both before and after the cruise we tend to try to fly in the day before and book flights no earlier than noon the day we get back. Especially on the last day, there's just no reason to ruin the last day of the cruise worrying abot making the flight the next day

We always fly in the day/night before to make sure that there is no stress. However, we're taking a short cruise at the end of January (Friday-Monday) and due to hubby's vacation time (or lack thereof) we are flying the same day as the cruise. If all goes well, we'll have PLENTY of time(scheduled arrival in FL @ 9:30 am) but I'm already having nightmares of snowstorms, delayed/cancelled flights etc. I'm gonna be a nervous wreck until we are up in the air on that plane. :D

CG

I'm afraid I'm one of those who do stress out before a flight/cruise. We find that cruising in December is the best time for us due to my auto-immune problems (the high heat/sun or the hurricane season). However by cruising this month or even later during the winter presents the problem of our flights being delayed or even cancelled! So I do tend to freak out and fly in the day before (this yr by 2 days!). My DH doesn't mind starting our cruise earlier however this yr our son and DIL are also onboard. He thinks I'm being entirely paranoid and doesn't want to go early, etc. but his wife is behind me so... We have had our flights cancelled before and last year not only cancelled but almost missed the cruise because of weather and the airlines giving our flight crew to another! Some people flying out the same day of their cruise did miss their ship and had to be flown to the next port which was 2 days away! So this is why I tend to stress and freak out! :eek: Snow has already started here now so the freaking has begun! ha ha

I would think this is a situation where you calmly say that you and your DH will book your flights for the day that you want, and then let your son and his wife book their flights for the day they want.

That way, you can travel without stressing. Any stress your son experiences due to weather delays will be his problem. He's an adult, yes?

Of course, this can sometimes backfire.... I was on a Saturday-to-Thursday cruise and decided to book my flight home for Friday morning, figuring it would be less stressful.

The cruise was out of Galveston, we got back into port on September 11 with Hurricane Ike lurking behind us to find the island evacuating. Got myself up to Houston, and by the time I found out that all Friday flights were being cancelled, it was too late to get a Thursday flight.

Got to meet Ike up close and personal.

Didn't get home till Tuesday.

I would think this is a situation where you calmly say that you and your DH will book your flights for the day that you want, and then let your son and his wife book their flights for the day they want.

That way, you can travel without stressing. Any stress your son experiences due to weather delays will be his problem. He's an adult, yes?

Yes, he's an adult but at times can still behave as a 'teenager'... ;) We did tell them from here on out, IF after this cruise we take another vacation together, they will be responsible for booking everything themselves. That way no complaining (from our son!) and no stressing (on my part)!

Yes, he's an adult but at times can still behave as a 'teenager'... ;) We did tell them from here on out, IF after this cruise we take another vacation together, they will be responsible for booking everything themselves. That way no complaining (from our son!) and no stressing (on my part)!

Good move!

He'll learn to be a fine, responsible adult if he does this and learns from the "law of natural consequences".

I do hope you enjoy your cruise with him and your DIL.

Archived