Has the Majesty of the Seas gone downhill??

ommboz

I was one that wrote a less than positive review. Compared to other ships in the RCCL fleet, the service to me (again subjective as a review is), was not up to RCCL's normal standards, actually to be honest, it was one of the worst in 26 cruises with RCCL. But again, that could just be me.

WOW, I just got off MJ last Friday and the service was excellent. Actually we had the best cabin attendant ever in over 80 RCCL cruises. The WJ staff , Guest Relations and bar staff were also top notch... Our friends also raved about their waitstaff in the MDR-- we only ate in the WJ on this cruise....

What specific issues did you have with the service onboard-- Just curious?

I also have one of the more recent reviews on the main review page. I found the Majesty in very good physical shape overall, my cabin (though tiny) was in good shape, and my cabin attendant was good; I loved the Captain's announcements (make it a point to listen to him, he was constantly cracking jokes; the other PA announcements can be tuned out...). Dining room service was weak for our table.

My criticism basically revolved around bland food in the MDR other than the signature menu dishes; but then, those that have read my reviews know that improper food seasoning is a consistent complaint of mine of Royal (other than Porofino and now Signature Menu items).

Overall I had a great time even if we had to skip Cococay (not cruiseline's fault).

I also just got off the Majesty yesterday morning and I thought the ship was fine. It was in good shape and the updates were very nice. And the crew was quite friendly and helpful. :p

I wasn't blown away by the ship - but I think I'm just not one who loves the smaller ships. Everything was smaller (small gym, really tiny locker room, tiny staterooms) and lots of things were only open limited hours.

We thought the Windjammer was fine (food was good with a nice selection) but tried to go a few times in off hours only to find it was closed. (closed very early on Saturday night - and then didn't open for dinner until 7 p.m. on Sunday night.) The pizza place was open - but that was the only option (other than the dining room) at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. All we wanted was a cookie for the grandson - so we went to the cafe in the Centrum, lattitudes, which sells the coffee specialty drinks and they only give out the bakery products (free) if you make a purchase. :mad: I think this is just one more way RCCL is nickle and diming the cruiser which I don't like - but I also got a great price on the cruise :D - so it all works out in the end.

The dinning room was very nice, good service and good food. We liked the pizza at Sorrento's and the deli was also a nice option. The pool area is also small with two small hot tubs - but it seemed to do the job on the cruise. The hot tubs were packed but the pools weren't too crowded.

I thought the entertainment was good. We really enjoyed the comedian and the singers and dancers were of fine caliber. The juggler was fun too.

The kids area was nice and updated with really good kids counsellors. I wasn't blown away by their programming, but the people were top notch and made up for the weaker (weaker than the Carnival program we used two months ago) program.

As to the rumor about the Majesty leaving RCCL - the Captain was asked that question twice at the Crown and Anchor reception and he was very clear that there are no current plans to sell the Majesty or to transfer her to another of the company's lines. He said he knows of nothing regarding that and then said "there are no current plans" to move the Majesty from RCCL.

All in all - it was a nice cruise and a great value for the price I paid. Not sure I'll do it again - but that is more because I prefer longer cruises and larger ships - not because of any problems with the Majesty.

Archived