PHOTOS of my QM2 experience 11-21/11-29

skyking

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Love the new look of the Chart Room - the extra seating should really help in the evenings. Always wanted to have a drink there but could never get a seat!

HEHE:) Funny to see what you wrote cause on our sailing that room was pretty empty around 11pm or so:) So was the Lions Pub, the G32 etc etc....But we still had a GREAT TIME:)

Love the new look of the Chart Room - the extra seating should really help in the evenings. Always wanted to have a drink there but could never get a seat!

I agree with you. I can already hear those mourning the lost elegance of the Chart Room:), but I still like the new look very much. It adds a warm note and it offers an 'elegant' solution to overcrowding.

HEHE:) Funny to see what you wrote cause on our sailing that room was pretty empty around 11pm or so:) So was the Lions Pub, the G32 etc etc....But we still had a GREAT TIME:)

Tim, the great problem that we have experienced with Chart Room overcrowding has been -at least- before dinner. We have always had much difficulty to find a seat and have a pre-dinner drink there. Now the situation seems better. I can't wait to see it myself!

Great photos! Many thanks for posting.

Is it me, or are there also more seats in Sir Samuel's?

Lack of seating in Chart Room before dinner was a problem, and I can't believe I've become such a critic, but I'm not sure those particular chairs work in there.

Wonderful photos, Tim. Thanks so much for sharing them.

I have been reading about the taxi strike in Fort Lauderdale on the day you left the ship. Were you affected by that?

So glad you enjoyed your time on the QM2.

Beth

Well it was a little hectic, no lines, just people standing around wondering where to find the taxi's. I overheard someone say that they were on strike that day, but we got lucky and a van pulling a luggage trailer stopped right in front of us, he yelled who is going to the airport and of course I jumped go the back of the luggage trailer and he took our bags, and off we went with 11 others at 11.00 a head! It was not so bad for us.

I was also on the Caribbean cruise with Tim (miss you guys!!!!) and it was pretty crazy at the terminal that day. Our porter took us outside the terminal where the vans were supposed to be but it was pretty clear the number of passengers looking for transportation far outweighed the number of rides available.

We were able to get a taxi after about 10 or 15 minutes - my Dad did some running and talking to one of the cabs and I think traded some greenbacks to allow us to jump in. The driver said many of the drivers decided to stay in bed that day because they were upset about the number of gates they are able to pick up at or something like that - 3 vs 1. Couldn't really understand.

We had a fantastic trip!!!!! It was snowing lightly in Atlanta today - how I wish I was still in the islands.

I was also on the Caribbean cruise with Tim (miss you guys!!!!) and it was pretty crazy at the terminal that day. Our porter took us outside the terminal where the vans were supposed to be but it was pretty clear the number of passengers looking for transportation far outweighed the number of rides available.

We were able to get a taxi after about 10 or 15 minutes - my Dad did some running and talking to one of the cabs and I think traded some greenbacks to allow us to jump in. The driver said many of the drivers decided to stay in bed that day because they were upset about the number of gates they are able to pick up at or something like that - 3 vs 1. Couldn't really understand.

We had a fantastic trip!!!!! It was snowing lightly in Atlanta today - how I wish I was still in the islands.

Awwwwwwww we miss you as well, meet ya on deck 8 aft by the pool:)

The very unexpected taxi strike was a nightmare for anyone who did not have prior reservations. Most people were able to find a ride to the airport in one of the vans or buses that were commandeered. Those of us trying to find a taxi to a local hotel that did not have a shuttle service were in big trouble.

We stood outside the ship in the sun for almost two hours before a group of us made a move on an unsuspecting van driver and formed a posse to get him to take us "to the beach".

The policemen directing traffic said it was the worst day they could remember -- 22,000 departing passengers (9 ships in port) and very limited options. Apparently, it was even worse for those who arrived in Fort Lauderdale that day and tried to get a taxi to the port. Simply no taxis available.

By Sunday, it seemed back to normal and there were many taxis available for the ride to the airport. It was not a great ending to our cruise.

Tim,

Great set of pictures, I really like the new look for the chart room they have certainly added to the room's charm. You've also given me a couple of ideas for my round trip TA next year; the photo's on deck with the Statue of Liberty in the background and better still taking an ipod docking station for the room - pure genius!!

One question though, how on earth did you manage to receive an invite to the Captains table ??

Thanks again for sharing the piccies

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos. I remained on the ship for the next cruise (Nov. 29-Dec. 9).

They gave the last passenger call at 10:30 am and when I looked out at the terminal at noon I was shocked to see how many passengers were still there waiting to go (I didn't hear about the taxi strike until I heard the news from the new passengers that night).

Embarkation was also a nightmare and I kept congratulating myself for having missed that.

Archived