Question re: Tauranga & Mt. Maunganui

Gsel

We will be in Tauranga next month and would like to go to Mt. Maunganui and do the 3km walk around the mountain and also go into the town. Can anyone tell us the best way to get there? It is our understanding this is a wonderful way to spend a day.

Thanks

We will be in Tauranga next month and would like to go to Mt. Maunganui and do the 3km walk around the mountain and also go into the town. Can anyone tell us the best way to get there? It is our understanding this is a wonderful way to spend a day.

Thanks

Most of the cruise ships actually berth on the Mount Maunganui side of the harbour. There was a sponsored advert showing just below your post, which had a picture of a cruise ship berthed. You could clearly see the Mount in the picture.

If your ship berths at Mt Maunganui, you should just be able to get off the ship and start your walk. The little (sheltered) beach on the harbour side of the Mount is Pilot Bay. There is an Ocean beach the other side of the Mount, and the shops are on the ocean side.

If your ship does berth on the Tauranga side, just get a taxi to "The Mount".

mtmaunganui.jpg

Mount Maunganui, locally known as "The Mount" is where your cruise ship will berth. You actually circle it to enter the port. As above poster said you just get off the ship and walk. You can see a ship berthed in the pic. The walk is great. You have the option of an easy walk around the base or can climb to the top for great views.You can pick out the track that winds its way to the top.

Oh, wow! That looks so beautiful! Too bad our Tauranga day is already full (renting a car and driving to various places). Plus it's only a 9-6 day, as opposed to several of the other ports that we arrive at 7 at. I guess I'll have to go back some day.

• 2 weeks later...

Dawn Princess is in Tauranga today,

berthed at Mt Maunganui.

Heres a capture from the bridge cam ,

which is looking towards the Mount

and along Pilot Bay.

The mineral pools are in the centre of the pic

at base of the Mount,and the shopping centre

about 2 blocks to the right,(out of the pic)

You can just make out a crane and that is Ocean Beach ,

on the other side. A very easy and pleasant walk.

dawntauranga.jpg

Oh, wow! That looks so beautiful! Too bad our Tauranga day is already full (renting a car and driving to various places). Plus it's only a 9-6 day, as opposed to several of the other ports that we arrive at 7 at. I guess I'll have to go back some day.

I am going to Taurange 1-17-09 on Celebrity Millennium. I would like to drive to Waimoto glow worm caves but cannot find any information on that. Can you pllease tell me where you rented a car in Taurange and do you need to reserve one before hand?

Angela

• 3 months later...

This is great information and the picture really helps. I was thinking of doing a ship's tour to Paparoa Marae where there is a cultural show....but would love to spend some time walking around the Mount and on the beach and even in the pools. The tour is 4.5 hours which should return about 1:30. The Amsterdam departs at 5. I am wondering if that is enough time to explore the area on my own or if I should forego the ship tour. There is another cultural ship's tour in Bay of Islands to Mangamuka Marae.

Any advice as to which of these "cultural" tours would be the best??

This is great information and the picture really helps. I was thinking of doing a ship's tour to Paparoa Marae where there is a cultural show....but would love to spend some time walking around the Mount and on the beach and even in the pools. The tour is 4.5 hours which should return about 1:30. The Amsterdam departs at 5. I am wondering if that is enough time to explore the area on my own or if I should forego the ship tour. There is another cultural ship's tour in Bay of Islands to Mangamuka Marae.

Any advice as to which of these "cultural" tours would be the best??

Kia ora i Rotorua,

As mentioned above the ship is berthed near the base of Mount Maunganui (= big mountain) so if you are back by 1.30 you will have three hours to walk around the base of the mountain & see the beach, shops, houses etc.

However, I would liken going to Tauranga & not seeing Rotorua (a centre of all things Maori & ranked one of the world's top tourist destinations) as going to Civitavecchia without seeing Rome! Eg. at Whakarewarewa you can wander round a living Maori settlement, feel the ground shaking under you, see where the hangi is prepared, hot food cooked in a boiling pool and experience a cultural show on the village marae. See www.rotoruaNZ for details of its geysers, boiling mud pools, hot pools, Maori culture, buried village (from the eruption of Mt Tarawera) forest and lakes etc. etc.!

Aquarians

Kia ora i Rotorua,

As mentioned above the ship is berthed near the base of Mount Maunganui (= big mountain) so if you are back by 1.30 you will have three hours to walk around the base of the mountain & see the beach, shops, houses etc.

However, I would liken going to Tauranga & not seeing Rotorua (a centre of all things Maori & ranked one of the world's top tourist destinations) as going to Civitavecchia without seeing Rome! Eg. at Whakarewarewa you can wander round a living Maori settlement, feel the ground shaking under you, see where the hangi is prepared, hot food cooked in a boiling pool and experience a cultural show on the village marae. See www.rotoruaNZ for details of its geysers, boiling mud pools, hot pools, Maori culture, buried village (from the eruption of Mt Tarawera) forest and lakes etc. etc.!

Aquarians

Yes, i agree, you can book a day tour to Rotorua from the Mount Maunganui Information cenmtre, just a 5 minute walk from the ship, they offer the official tours with proper tour compnaies, about 5 of them roster for the positions each day so its fair, cost is $145.00 NZ per person and you see the main destination of Te Puia plus time for other sights, all in a vehicle with no more than 10 or 11, so a nice small group.

Most of the cruise ships actually berth on the Mount Maunganui side of the harbour. There was a sponsored advert showing just below your post, which had a picture of a cruise ship berthed. You could clearly see the Mount in the picture.

If your ship berths at Mt Maunganui, you should just be able to get off the ship and start your walk. The little (sheltered) beach on the harbour side of the Mount is Pilot Bay. There is an Ocean beach the other side of the Mount, and the shops are on the ocean side.

If your ship does berth on the Tauranga side, just get a taxi to "The Mount".

All the cruise ships berth at the number 1 berth, this is the Mount maunganui side of the harbour, cruise ships never berth on the Tauranga side of the harbour.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done tours with this company out of Tauranga or Bay of Islands??

http://www.itrails.co.nz/Presentation/itrailsSwapPres.aspx?ID=11634

Yes. We used them out of Tauranga in February and were very pleased with tour. They are a Maori-owned company so it is an opportunity to learn more about the culture. We booked in advance and were on the van tour that is advertised on their website. They also operated free, unadvertised shuttles between the port and Tauranga and offered those passengers a shorter bus tour to Rotorua.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. We used them out of Tauranga in February and were very pleased with tour. They are a Maori-owned company so it is an opportunity to learn more about the culture. We booked in advance and were on the van tour that is advertised on their website. They also operated free, unadvertised shuttles between the port and Tauranga and offered those passengers a shorter bus tour to Rotorua.

Yes, indigeous trails is definitely recommendable. Go onto their website. We used them 2 years ago but only in Toraunga and I had friends that used them in January this year and did both Toraunga and bay of islands tours, and they were 'blown away'. They have maorri guides on all their tours so you get a more personal and real tour instead of a 'touristy' experience. We had the owner on our trip as a guide - i think hes in the wrong business because he had the whole bus in 'fits of laughter' from start to finish - he should be an entertainer on the ship instead, our one was a 'flop'

Archived