Has anyone ever had a cruise replaced by a charter?

NextOne

I've never encountered this before, but we're booked for the Westerdam cruise on 11/8/09. We've found out that there's a chartered Jazz Cruise that's booking reservations for the Westerdam, same date, but very different itinerary. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I'm assuming that HAL will decide which way they'll go based on the number of bookings they get for each itinerary. When would they make their final decision?

Yes, I've tried calling them, but the only answer I get is that our itinerary is the one that's posted. The last time I asked I was left on hold for 20 minutes while the service rep "tried to find out what was happening." I finally hung up.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Thanks!

I've never encountered this before, but we're booked for the Westerdam cruise on 11/8/09. We've found out that there's a chartered Jazz Cruise that's booking reservations for the Westerdam, same date, but very different itinerary. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I'm assuming that HAL will decide which way they'll go based on the number of bookings they get for each itinerary. When would they make their final decision?

Yes, I've tried calling them, but the only answer I get is that our itinerary is the one that's posted. The last time I asked I was left on hold for 20 minutes while the service rep "tried to find out what was happening." I finally hung up.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Thanks!

My guess is that the jazz cruise has an "option" to charter. By a certain date, they have to do you know what, or get off the pot. It's all gonna depend on how many reservations they take between now and then. If not enough, then they will have merely a large group on the sailing, but the sailing will follow the prescribed HAL itinerary, i.e., the one you booked. Their group will also have to share the ship with the regular passengers, and that means they can't just take over all of the public venues. They will have some limits set on them. If they get enough bookings, however, and go with the full ship charter, then everyone else who booked will be cancelled, and HAL will probably offer some sort of nominal credit if those passengers are willing to book an alternative cruise.

My personal take on this? Either way, you're shafted. In fact, I think you would be better off if the boat were chartered, because if you are on a sailing with a large group, you could be negatively impacted by their group activities. In short, I hope you like jazz because that's ALL the music you will get that week. If the group is large/influential enough, you could find all the normal production shows replaced that week with special jazz shows ... all the music in the lounges jazz ... some shipboard activities slanted toward the interests of the group, etc. The group will also take over some venues at certain times; i.e., perhaps a Sailaway party in the Crow's Nest that only group members can attend ... or maybe a big cocktail gathering at the aft pool area ... open -- you guessed it -- just to their group.

I always said I'd rather have my cruise cancelled due to a charter than sail with a large group onboard. I think being cancelled is the least of two evils.

Maybe you could just change your plans and book an alternative sailing?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks Rita! We chose this specific cruise for the itinerary and the timing. We like jazz, so I guess we could hope that they'll just be a large group, but I think they had enough interest this year to charter the ship. Bummer!

Thanks Rita! We chose this specific cruise for the itinerary and the timing. We like jazz, so I guess we could hope that they'll just be a large group, but I think they had enough interest this year to charter the ship. Bummer!
If you like jazz, and really want to take this cruise, why not cancel your current booking and rebook with the chartering company. Chances are they still have cabins available ... and who knows? The price might actually come out cheaper.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was booked on a B-2-B on the Maasdam, last January when the Jazz Cruise group (out of Orlando, I believe), chartered the first half of my cruise.

I contacted them and was able to join their group, and as a result, had two distinctly different, yet enjoyable, cruise experiences. The chartered Jazz Cruise group were totally involved with Jazz --- there were 8 or 10 well-known groups from the U.S. and Canada, as well as many solo performers who brought their instruments and took part in daily 'jam sessions'.

Most of these passengers had been on several prior jazz cruises, and a remarkable number new each other, )of course repeat business is nothing new to HAL passengers ;)!) Most of the guests seemed to follow their particular favourite groups.

I was not a Dixieland Jazz enthusiast prior to this cruise, but I quite enjoyed the music as well as the enthusiasm of all the passengers. Most everyone danced at all venues, all day, and each evening. There was very little participation in shore excursions, or the after dinner lounge shows, or any of the regular at sea activities. Few people left the ship at any of the island stops, people were solely focussed on the music !!

There were a lot more empty seats at the late dining seating, (the one we chose), again, because the groups were performing at the various venues, during this time frame, and the passengers were on this cruise primarily to experience the music! It appered that the Lido dining area was extensively used for evening meals, so the jazz fans could 'eat & run', and enjoy their particular favourite group.

This cruise was very informal, very friendly --- and the same age demographic as the following (non-chartered) cruise.

Contrary to what you are experiencing, in our case. the itinerary remained exactly the same as originally listed, after the ship was chartered.

Be forewarned that the cruise experience will be unlike your previous HAL cruises; they are unique, yet enjoyable, but, I certainly would consider attending another one !!

Happy cruising,

I'd have a "Plan B" in place. Charters are very popular on the 7-day Caribbean cruise. You're ahead in the game in that you have heard that there might be a charter. Like Rita, I'd rather be bumped than have a large group on my sailing. If it were me, I'd change my plans to another sailing now, or if you like the idea of doing a jazz cruise, then I'd book that cruise. :)

Whatever you do, have a great time. :)

Thanks, all! We wouldn't mind it if the cruise kept the same itinerary, since that's the reason we booked the cruise, but all the jazz in the world wouldn't make up for the other itinerary. PLUS, the jazz cruise is much more expensive - not within our budget. Looks like we'll definitely need to look for a Plan B! I appreciate your thoughts.

It happened to us. We had booked the Oosterdam 10/4/08 sailing to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. In January of 2008, the Oosterdam trip disappeared from HAL's website. Called HAL and it took awhile and some proding, but finally they admited that the cruise had been chartered by Olivia Cruises. Very disappointing to us because we had also booked the Oosterdam from Vancouver down to San Diego. Friends that were going to go with us live in Vancouver and their anniversary is 2 days after ours - so it was going to be a great trip for the 4 of us. Needless to say we ended up cancelling both cruises.

We then starting looking at the Eurodam sailing from Ft Lauderdale on Oct 18th. There was also a 3 day pre-cruise on the Eurodam that we also booked. Then the Eurodam got chartered for 10/18. Same situation, HAL wouldn't confirm for quite some time. By this time we knew our friends wouldn't be able to join us because they couldn't change their vacation time. I was thinking that no one would want to ever sail with us again because every cruise we booked got chartered:eek:

Finally ended up back on the Oosterdam on the 10/18 sailing. Met some really great people and had a fantastic time.

We have now booked the Oosterdam for 1/16/2010 with our friends from Vancouver again. Certainly hope this one doesn't get chartered. I booked as soon as it was available so I can have my aft cabin with the large balcony - SC5191.

Just last week our TA informed us that our 11-day Veendam cruise beginning 9-20-09 has been chartered. This is our first charter bump. We were very disappointed for a couple of reasons: 1) We were looking forward to sailing on the Veendam after her extensive renovation next spring and 2) We were offered to be moved to the Statendam (same itinerary & same dates). We were fortunate to be able to change ships with no other changes. However, last year we had a bad experience on the Statendam. It was a very special and expensive trip. There was no air conditioning and horrible sewer problems. We agreed never to chance a vacation on her again. But ... never say never. We are going to make the switch as our son and wife had their hearts set on this trip. He has serious health issues and that takes priority. They had to cancel last year's trip and did not experience what the rest of us did. We are hoping that those issues have been resolved during her drydock.

Yeah, but did you check out the prices! They're double what you pay for a regular cruise. If you like jazz (we do), it would be fun, but those prices would stop me from doing this cruise.

Jazz Cruise

Category Description

Price / Person

PS Penthouse Suite $7,500

SA Deluxe Verandah Suite $3,400

SB Deluxe Verandah Suite $3,375

SC Deluxe Verandah Suite $3,350

SS Superior Verandah Suite $3,150

SY Superior Verandah Suite $3,125

SZ Superior Verandah Suite $3,100

VA Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,450

VB Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,425

VC Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,400

VD Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,375

VE Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,350

VF Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,325

VH Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom $2,300

C Large Outside Stateroom $2,000

D Large Outside Stateroom $1,975

DD Large Outside Stateroom $1,950

E Large Outside Stateroom $1,925

F Large Outside Stateroom $1,900

G Large Outside Stateroom $1,875

GG Large Outside Stateroom $1,850

H Large Outside Stateroom $1,825

HH Large Outside Stateroom $1,800

I Large or Standard Inside Stateroom $1,700

J Large or Standard Inside Stateroom $1,675

K Large or Standard Inside Stateroom $1,650

SINGLES $2,500

HAL's Prices

Departing Sunday Nov 08, 2009

Sailing on the ms Westerdam

PS - Penthouse Verandah Suites $4,623.88

SA - Deluxe Verandah Suite $2,573.88

SB - Deluxe Verandah Suites $2,373.88

SC - Deluxe Verandah Suites $2,173.88

SS - Superior Verandah Suites $1,773.88

SY - Superior Verandah Suites $1,623.88

SZ - Superior Verandah Suites $2,623.88

VA - Deluxe Verandah Outside $1,323.88

VB - Deluxe Verandah Outside $1,263.88

VC - Deluxe Verandah Outside $1,203.88

VD - Deluxe Verandah Outside $1,143.88

VE - Deluxe Verandah Outside $1,083.88

VF - Deluxe Verandah Outside $1,023.88

VH - Deluxe Verandah Outside $2,033.88

C - Large $963.88

D - Large $943.88

DD - Large $923.88

E - Large $903.88

F - Large $883.88

G - Large-Obstructed View $863.88

GG - Large-Obstructed View $843.88

H - Large-Obstructed View $823.88

HH - Large-Obstructed View $1,763.88

Inside Staterooms

I - Large $823.88

J - Large Or Standard $803.88

K - Large Or Standard $783.88

L - Standard $763.88

M - Standard $743.88

MM - Standard $723.88

N - Standard $1,543.88

NN - Standard $1,513.88

Just last week our TA informed us that our 11-day Veendam cruise beginning 9-20-09 has been chartered. This is our first charter bump. We were very disappointed for a couple of reasons: 1) We were looking forward to sailing on the Veendam after her extensive renovation next spring and 2) We were offered to be moved to the Statendam (same itinerary & same dates). We were fortunate to be able to change ships with no other changes. However, last year we had a bad experience on the Statendam. It was a very special and expensive trip. There was no air conditioning and horrible sewer problems. We agreed never to chance a vacation on her again. But ... never say never. We are going to make the switch as our son and wife had their hearts set on this trip. He has serious health issues and that takes priority. They had to cancel last year's trip and did not experience what the rest of us did. We are hoping that those issues have been resolved during her drydock.

Wow, an 11-day charter! I thought booking a 10-day would keep us safe, but I guess not. I sure hope your next cruise experience is better than your last. I completely understand why you're willing to try it again. Hopefully, all will go well and you'll have a great time. :)

I always said I'd rather have my cruise cancelled due to a charter than sail with a large group onboard. I think being cancelled is the least of two evils.

Maybe you could just change your plans and book an alternative sailing?

Blue skies ...

--rita

As much as I love Jazz, (yes the banjo can be a jazz instrument), and have looked at a number of Jazz Sea cruises. Mrs Banjo & I have not booked on any of these for the same reason. WE are not crowd people and do not like how large crowds end up shutting out the regular passengers from what otherwise would be a public area with a public event.

We were on a Silversea cruise where the ship was partially chartered, while the cruise was still fabulous, we were always treated as second class passengers because all the attention was going to the charter group.

So I would agree, if the charter, takes over the ship consider your options carefully, you will either love the music, or be really sick of it by the end of the cruise.

We were booked on the Eurodam for January 31st and it ended up getting chartered. We chose to go the following week instead at no extra charge (even though it was quite a bit more). We had 5 cabins in a row booked and on the new date 5 in a row weren't available in the category we had booked. I insisted we be upgraded to the category where there were 5 available at no extra charge and they finally did, unwilling at first. They also gave the first two people in each cabin $100 obc (for a regular balcony cabin)

Karen

Most charters bring on their own top name entertainment and CDs and it's a very different experience than the cruise it replaced.

With the exception of the Olympics in 2010, I think it likely that charters will diminish as they too feel the pinch of the economy. One of the major jazz cruise organizers has combined their 2009/10 experience into one cruise with a 15 month lead time.

There is a transfer of risk for promoting the cruise and filling the cabins when a ship is chartered. In an ideal world, that risk is rewarded with a profit to the organizer.

It is becoming increasingly common for some charter organizers to have sales on the less desirable cabins, the closer it gets to final payment date.

We were on a Silversea cruise where the ship was partially chartered, while the cruise was still fabulous, we were always treated as second class passengers because all the attention was going to the charter group.

So I would agree, if the charter, takes over the ship consider your options carefully, you will either love the music, or be really sick of it by the end of the cruise.

Charters take over the whole ship, not partially. A charter gets the option to change a lot of things on the cruise (dress code, entertainment, itinerary etc).

Groups may be booked on any cruise and can be quite large. Those are the ones that could take up some public spaces that may be off limits to the other passengers not part of the group.

As much as I love Jazz, (yes the banjo can be a jazz instrument), and have looked at a number of Jazz Sea cruises. Mrs Banjo & I have not booked on any of these for the same reason. WE are not crowd people and do not like how large crowds end up shutting out the regular passengers from what otherwise would be a public area with a public event.

The problem is that when you have a group such as this Jazz Cruise, their members paid a premium to attend the group-oriented events onboard. Naturally those members are not gonna be happy if anyone onboard the ship can gain admittance into events that they paid a premium to enjoy. And, frankly, I wouldn't blame them. I've been involved in "group" cruises as well ... a writer's retreat in particular ... and I know that cruise cost me a bundle specifically because it included a lot of lectures and events not open to the rest of the people on the cruise. So, while I can understand being closed out of certain things when I am sailing with a large group ... on the other hand, I don't have to particularly like it ... and that's why I'd rather not sail as an individual passenger when there is a large group onboard.

Just about every cruise you book ... even very long ones ... will have groups on the sailing. But in most cases these groups will be relatively small. While they will have some "group" events ... maybe a cocktail party or lectures or whatever ... these events will be held in places that really don't impact the rest of the passengers that much. Maybe a section of the Crow's Nest will be roped off for their private cocktail party ... or they will be using the Half Moon Room for part of the day for their lecture series. But when you get a large group, one that actually overwhelms the ship ... they will need a lot of space for their events, such as the entire Crow's Nest for their Sailaway party ... and that leaves the rest of the passengers scrambling for the little remaining space left on the ship.

No fair, in my humble opinion. We paid for our cruise too and it's not right that we have to freeze out on the Lido Deck at Sailaway if we want to watch it and the weather is chilly.

That's why I'd much rather be bumped for a charter than sail with a large group. I paid for my cruise too ... and I don't like being made to feel like a second class citizen ... which is often the case when you sail with a large group of which you are not a part.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Charters take over the whole ship, not partially. A charter gets the option to change a lot of things on the cruise (dress code, entertainment, itinerary etc).

Groups may be booked on any cruise and can be quite large. Those are the ones that could take up some public spaces that may be off limits to the other passengers not part of the group.

OK, OK charters, large group, it worked out the same way for us, we try & avoid them as best we can

Just about every cruise you book ... even very long ones ... will have groups on the sailing. But in most cases these groups will be relatively small. While they will have some "group" events ... maybe a cocktail party or lectures or whatever ... these events will be held in places that really don't impact the rest of the passengers that much. Maybe a section of the Crow's Nest will be roped off for their private cocktail party ... or they will be using the Half Moon Room for part of the day for their lecture series. But when you get a large group, one that actually overwhelms the ship ... they will need a lot of space for their events, such as the entire Crow's Nest for their Sailaway party ... and that leaves the rest of the passengers scrambling for the little remaining space left on the ship.

No fair, in my humble opinion. We paid for our cruise too and it's not right that we have to freeze out on the Lido Deck at Sailaway if we want to watch it and the weather is chilly.

Blue skies ...--rita

In all the years, I think there have been only a handful of reports where a major area of the ship was closed to the public for an extended private event. And yeah, even a handful is too many.

HAL seems to have gotten somewhat better in this department than some of the other cruise lines.There are some doozies on the NCL and RCL boards.

Archived