car rental update - Galveston

daryleann

I just got off the phone with Hertz too - after verifying online that my reservation for a cruise terminal pickup was still active and good. Well, at least it looked good on the computer. When I spoke to a live agent, she told me the cruise terminal was closed indefinitely. I was really surprised they had not emailed that my reservation was no longer good. Had I taken their computer at word, I'd be sitting at the Cruise terminal come April with no transportation back to IAH. She told me she cancelled the reservation.. I hope I did not act prematurely by allowing her do that and then find out that Galveston Hertz is open again when we travel.

Party of 6... we'd need a van, not a car... Any suggstions appreciated. I thought I had half of this figured out but find I'm at square one again. I'm thinking one of the limo services might be the least expensive way to go at $400 round trip and not having to worry where to park the rental car if we had an 8 day reservation.

I, too, could not understand why Hertz did not have a late Saturday or early Sunday DROP off in Galveston when they had car PICKUPS on Sunday. Its seemed like this was contraproductive to moving cars in and out of Galveston Island. Of course, now this is all a moot point since they have NO cars at all. No sure why they are not trying to reinstate business there, but maybe it was more trouble than it was worth since it seems that it would not be that hard to get business up and running again when most of the hotels are able to do so. Maybe someone has some insight on this.

Assume you have tried a 'dry run' of priceline bids on a van... start low - and don't feel guilty.:rolleyes: If they accept, find a hotel with free parking for the week, or use the EZ or lighthouse parking for $50.

I, too, think that bringing rental business back could only improve economy for them - as well as us!!! ;)

We rented from Hertz with IAH pickup for our 2/15 cruise on the Voyager (don't remember the total cost). I may try Priceline to see if their price is better. We are staying at the Howard Johnosn Express for a very reasonable rate (around $100 for one night) and parking there for the week for free. Just need to work out how we get to/from the port but it's only about 4 miles so shouldn't be too bad. (Famous last words?)

Assume you have tried a 'dry run' of priceline bids on a van... start low - and don't feel guilty. If they accept, find a hotel with free parking for the week, or use the EZ or lighthouse parking for $50.

I, too, think that bringing rental business back could only improve economy for them - as well as us!!!

Thanks, Daryleann for your input. Had not thought about Priceline and did a "dry run" at $20. However, when I did the real deal, it turned it down. Since I had never used Priceline before, I did not realize it was one bid a day. I even tried using my husband (instead of son in law) as driver and it did not even accept at $27 a day. This is for a van, not a car. I finally got a rental from Enterprise for a van for 8 days for $384 including the taxes and an Entertainment Book coupon. I might try Priceline again for $28-$30, but I figured my $384 before taxes translates into $32.50 a day so there's not much to be gained by going with Priceline. That amount translates into $64 round trip for each of us. It's all just part of the cost of cruising, but it would have been nice if it was not so elusive.

I have to agree with others that Galveston does create some high hurdles when they could easily provide efficient rental service both going to and coming from Galveston. It does make us think twice about leaving from here. Even before Ike, Hertz and Enterprise did not make it easy to drive in with no drop offs on Saturday (til noon for Hertz ) or Sunday at their local Galveston offices. Yes.. Hertz would allow you to leave the car on their lot, but they would charge you an extra day because they would not check it in until Monday. Post-cruise pick up seemed well thought out with terminal check-in, but I still can't figure out why they did not have a better method of turning in the cars on Saturday or Sunday morning that were obviously going back out on Sunday. You'd think that this procedure could be seamless. Perhaps there are local laws that prohibit business hours on weekends that we don't know about.

Since I never tried priceline before this trip - and haven't used it yet- I don't really know. I would think it is just for rentals and since there are no one-ways to Galveston - read the sad postings :mad: - I would say no.

I did do a lot of research and found a site of questions answered . I just googled 'priceline comments' and sorry I did!:eek: Scary!!!

http://www.google.com/search?q=priceline+comments&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Perhaps we shouldn't think of using them... but for every bad report there are good reports, and it is a done deal for me.:confused:

perhaps googling car hire would give you something. Good luck!

Does Priceline include all taxes and fees? If not beware- at the Houston airports they add up to more than the standard car rental. Be very certain that the price you have includes ALL these additional fees. I kept seeing perfectly reasonable prices for a weekly rental of about $185 but the fine print pushed it up to nearly $400. I considered renting out of the airport and taking a taxi to the offsite- the savings is huge. This issue of getting to Galveston would make me seriously think twice about sailing out of there again.

It does appear that Priceline does indicate the full cost including the taxes before you actually hit FIND ME A CAR but that price does not look anything like it did when you just multiply the number of days vs. the price per day. I was flabbergasted to see just how much taxes added to the cost of a rental.

After my initial bid for a van rental, I did a little googling of Priceline and read enough horror stories to stop any further bids for a cheaper rental. Doing the math on the van I already have ($384 including taxes) there is little to gain since Priceline had already indicated my "safe" bid was more than my actual find at Enterprise. I did not want to give up control of the reservation with no recourse should we come in late or have to cancel for some unforeseen reason.

I agree with wanting control. And Priceline did include over half the cost in fees.

What pushed me to go with them was the fact that when I tried every company, the "daily cost" was $21-25 - until the week was over then the daily cost for the last 2 days was almost $50/day! With priceline it kept the daily rate for the entire 9 days.

Also looked at the cost of going to hotel - w shuttle- and getting one in town. But coming back was still not possible as nothing open in Galveston - or anywhere- on Sun. Since we are staying until Mon morn to get a chance to go to Space Center, I wanted a car. Priceline gave me options and they are expensive, but not as bad as the other companies.

(also bid $45 for nite at hotel near the airport and got the Marriott. This trip is not what I expected at all.... but then I just booked in Nov. Perhaps we will have a good time anyway!:cool:)

Hi all,

well, like all of you, I've been researching, worrying, wondering how in the world I would get to Galveston two days before our cruise, with a car so we could do some massive sightseeing (yes I like the convenience of just being able to go when I want to!). I had the two Hertz one way reservations with a total proce of $220 for 3 days (Feb 27 - 28, again on the 8th for our return to IAH). I was mortified with the prices I was finding for a rental throughout the 10 days (Feb 27 - Mar 8).

Well, I finally figured out a solution that makes me happy. I'm renting through Hertz Humble Kingwood HLE, 5 miles from IAH (quick cab ride) and returning to IAH for what I think is a great price ... $240 taxes in!

I'm thrilled, thought I would share for those who may want to consider same.

Gisele :)

Do any of the car rental businesses have a drop off at the pier?

From what I understand Enterprise is no longer ther and in a previous post it was said that Hertz is gone too. I'm just trying to get a car from the airport to the terminal. I am coming in a day early and would like to have a car for that day.

Do any of the car rental businesses have a drop off at the pier?

No, there are no rental drop offs at the pier. As far as I know, Hertz and Enterprise have never had drop off AT the pier. Their drop off was at a local office not far from the pier. The problem was that both offices were closed on Sundays and only open until noon on Saturday. As far as I know, neither have opened since Ike. Both rental companies HAD pick up at the pier on Sunday after your cruise, but those offices are closed too. Hertz told me indefinitely, others have been given dates down the road for reopen.

Our solution was to rent a car for eight days. Pick up at IAH, return to AIH after the cruise. Add to the cost of the rental, parking for a week. Some hotels have free parking for your car and free shuttle to the pier. Our hotel charges $10 per person for a shuttle to the pier so for our family of 6, it's cheaper to park the van at EZPark. Others are using limo services back and forth.

It's been a bit of a challenge getting to Galveston. RCI Shuttle will not pick up from IAH on Saturday.

We just returned from our cruise (last Mon) and I thought I would let you know that the car rental place at Hobby worked very well. We bid on Priceline for a price of $15/day for 9 days, coming in on Sat afternoon and leaving Mon morn. (Yes, taxes and fees was more than the rental but the total was $201 so I felt it was the best under the circumstances.

We met someone at the hotel (on roll call) and were to share a cab. Then met another couple at bfst so there were 6 of us. Cab took the long way (I later learned) and it cost $10/ couple (w tip).

On way back, hubby went thru the departure lounge and asked if anyone had car parked at the hotel and we got one couple :D. We breezed thru customs together (well, together!) and got a taxi. Cost was $10/couple. Taxi guy took 5 min and when I mentioned the way we had come, he said the other way was longer and was surprised! (But we HAD been able to see downtown and where water damage was, etc.;))

All in all, the car was far more than I wanted but it worked out well and we were pleased. On return at Hobby, it was a total of 5 minutes from arrival until we got on shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally figured out a solution that makes me happy. I'm renting through Hertz Humble Kingwood HLE, 5 miles from IAH (quick cab ride) and returning to IAH for what I think is a great price ... $240 taxes in!

I'm thrilled, thought I would share for those who may want to consider same.

Gisele :)

THANK YOU For sharing this! Like a lot of people, I've been frustrated by the lack of a good, clean solution when flying in early. I would never have thought that you could pick up a few miles away, still return the car to IAH and save so much. But I just booked our car this way, too! 9 days w/ Budget in Humble ~4 miles away for $224 incl. taxes. (Direct w/ Budget, nothing fancy). There's the cab to pay for, too... but the savings by not picking up at IAH is just crazy. I never realized the price of 'convenience' would be so high.

Thanks,

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I recently booked with Priceline for 8 days, pickup/return to IAH, for $249.60 all in. This is for a mid-size car @19/day - the rest is taxes. I did start a couple of weeks ago, bidding started at $10/a day and worked myself up to $26 - nothing was accepted so I gave up.

Not until 2/21 was my bid of $19 accepted, which is interesting considering I bid up to $26 and that was not accepted earlier.

Ended up at Hertz. I've used Priceline before with no problems and also ended up at Hertz. If I had to do it over again, I might have waited a little closer to my April departure and possibly get a better deal... but I guess I should be happy I got a car at this price and be happy.

So now my big debate is EZ or Lighthouse parking? Any recommendations?

countdown.pl?name=No Cruise You Lose&date=4-12-2009&image=Greece&text=Family of 5, Easter Sunday cruise, 2nd criuse after Glory&ship=Carnival Conquest

I recently booked with Priceline for 8 days, pickup/return to IAH, for $249.60 all in. This is for a mid-size car @19/day - the rest is taxes. I did start a couple of weeks ago, bidding started at $10/a day and worked myself up to $26 - nothing was accepted so I gave up.

Not until 2/21 was my bid of $19 accepted, which is interesting considering I bid up to $26 and that was not accepted earlier.

Ended up at Hertz. I've used Priceline before with no problems and also ended up at Hertz. If I had to do it over again, I might have waited a little closer to my April departure and possibly get a better deal... but I guess I should be happy I got a car at this price and be happy.

So now my big debate is EZ or Lighthouse parking? Any recommendations?

If you are coming in a day early you may want to stay at a hotel with free parking while you are on the ship.

I got a Dollar rental on airport for about that price- and it does include all the many many extra fees. And that is for 9 days so I think we did well.

This sounds good BUT where and how much will the 1 week parking cost?? That's why I didn't think it would be economical. Any feedback would be appreciated.:)

This sounds good BUT where and how much will the 1 week parking cost?? That's why I didn't think it would be economical. Any feedback would be appreciated.:)

Port of Galveston Parking

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

Lighthouse Cruise Parking

http://www.lighthouseparking.org/

EZ Cruise Parking

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

Hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived