Carnival,Hal and 2010 Vancouver Olympics problems

Colakid

Find below a link to a report about the 2010 games in Vancouver. Just interested in knowing if anyone knows about this deal and what ships could be involved. It talks about 2 Carnival and one HAL ship with capacities over 5000 total berths. FYI. Colakid.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/12/02/bc-olympic-security-ships.html

Wouldn't it be cool to stay aboard these ships during the winter games as your motel/hotel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That article is weird. I thought the original contract was with RCI? Anyway, they're not for normal tourists to stay on, they're to hold the security teams. It'll be interesting to see how this gets resolved.

I thought so too - RCI had arranged to have Radiance of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas come to Vancouver for 2010 - and are still selling the repo cruises on their site in Jan & Mar 2010. I'd also read on the NCL board that the Norwegian Star was on her way up as well, however, that was rumored to be chartered by a private company that would rent the ship out as a floating hotel, though I don't know how accurate that is.

This article is the first thing I've heard that mentions Carnival or HAL.

Seems like no one really knows what's going on, or which ships are coming...

Find below a link to a report about the 2010 games in Vancouver. Just interested in knowing if anyone knows about this deal and what ships could be involved. It talks about 2 Carnival and one HAL ship with capacities over 5000 total berths. FYI. Colakid.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/12/02/bc-olympic-security-ships.html

Wouldn't it be cool to stay aboard these ships during the winter games as your motel/hotel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to my TA, who has been in contact with HAL about this, ( I am booked on the Statendam,which appears to be the ship in the article.) HAL will only admit the ship has been chartered, but has not offered an alternative cruise or any compensation yet.

Terri

According to my TA, who has been in contact with HAL about this, ( I am booked on the Statendam,which appears to be the ship in the article.) HAL will only admit the ship has been chartered, but has not offered an alternative cruise or any compensation yet.

Terri

I don't think we can fully appreciate how complex some charter arrangements are and the upfront financing required. Credit is tight, everywhere and there is the added worry if the bank extending unsecured credit will be in business a year from now. An intent to charter is not the same thing as satisfying the conditions of a charter.

Cruise lines are not required to do anything beyond returning the deposit, when they cancel a cruise, for any reason. Maybe they will offer a gesture of good will. Maybe not.

Terri

Hi Terri - We were booked on the Statendam 28-day PC Cruise departing on 2/12/2010 (same cruise as you I believe). Our TA spoke to a supervisor in the World Reservations Department and we were offered $150 pp shipboard credit. We have already canceled and rebooked another Canal Cruise.

Terri

There is definitely something going on. Some of the Volendam's scheduled cruises for early 2010 have dropped off the website too. I have a feeling there are a couple of ships under possible charter, and HAL is having to rework their sailing schedules to accommodate that.

I've heard the Zaandam is one of the ships going to Vancouver as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I can't wait to find out more about all of these ships visiting Vancouver - would be a great opportunity to stay a night or two and check out some of the ships I've never been on. (Which, um, would be most of them! :o)

I can't wait to find out more about all of these ships visiting Vancouver - would be a great opportunity to stay a night or two and check out some of the ships I've never been on. (Which, um, would be most of them! :o)
You could probably only check them out from the outside, though. I think the charters are not being used as "hotel rooms," per se, that the average person could book for a night or two. I think they are going to be used to house Olympics staff ... like security personnel and what not, who need lodging close by the Olympics venues.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've heard the Zaandam is one of the ships going to Vancouver as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hope not! The Zaandam was scheduled to incorporate some Sea of Cortez cruises in between Hawaii from Jan - Apr 2010 and we are about ready to drop a deposit on one. :eek:

Archived