royal caribbean room upgrades

Hello everyone,

I recently booked an inside guarantee with RCI on the Explorer, Presidents Week 2009 out of NJ. The day after booking, I logged in to royalcaribbean.com and we were already upgraded 3 categories to an M class inside cabin on the 9th deck. The price went down a few days ago, so I called my travel agent and they gave us money off as an onboard credit (same reservation#, etc.. Now when I log on to royalcaribbean.com, my room shows up as "inside guarantee". Did I lose my upgrade? Has anyone ever had a room assigned and then taken away? Thanks!

Yes, you lost your upgrade. I'm presuming the lower price was on the inside guarantee category and not a Cat M. If so, the only way to get the lower price was to go back to the inside guarantee. To have kept your upgrade, the lower price had to be on the Cat M.

I booked it originally as an inside guarantee. Royal then bumped me up to an M. So when I I re-booked it, I assume it was as an inside guarantee also. Im hoping that I will get upgraded again. I don't see why they wouldn't upgrade me if they already did it the first time. Any input? Thanks again.

They upgraded you once and you gave it away. You may not get upgraded a second time. A guarantee is only in the category that you booked. Nothing says they have to give you an upgrade.

I wish I would've known that I was going to lose my upgrade. I figured they would just credit me the difference and keep my res the way it was.

Hello everyone,

I recently booked an inside guarantee with RCI on the Explorer, Presidents Week 2009 out of NJ. The day after booking, I logged in to royalcaribbean.com and we were already upgraded 3 categories to an M class inside cabin on the 9th deck. The price went down a few days ago, so I called my travel agent and they gave us money off as an onboard credit (same reservation#, etc.. Now when I log on to royalcaribbean.com, my room shows up as "inside guarantee". Did I lose my upgrade? Has anyone ever had a room assigned and then taken away? Thanks!

When you asked for the lower price you effectively went back into the guarantee pool if that's where the lower price was offered. You didn't specify on what cat the price went down. Did it go down on a M or a GT? I think you still did a wise thing by saving the bucks. To us an inside, is an inside, is an inside,,,,it really doesn't matter where they are located. Your always chasing the dollar foremost rather than location in this cat. Watch every day for discounts.

When you asked for the lower price you effectively went back into the guarantee pool if that's where the lower price was offered. You didn't specify on what cat the price went down. Did it go down on a M or a GT? I think you still did a wise thing by saving the bucks. To us an inside, is an inside, is an inside,,,,it really doesn't matter where they are located. Your always chasing the dollar foremost rather than location in this cat. Watch every day for discounts.

Price went down on the PR, L, GT. The M and Q stayed the same I believe. I just emailed my TA and said that a few of the prices went down and asked if I could get a credit. Basically the price I originally paid for the same "GT" cabin was 50 more pp than what Im paying now.

Oh well, like you said, an inside is an inside. It would just be nice being higher up on the ship.

This is exactly why I like working with RCCL..........and not a TA. Most TA's are not as efficient as RCCL.

There are some TA's that do twice the work of anyone at RCCL........but they are hard to find. If you do find one...........hang on to her/him. They will go to bat for you in a second on anything that seems out of order.

Too bad that the good ones cannot be advertised.

Rick

Was the price drop for a new booking special? Did you keep your same booking number or get a new one? If is was a new booking special, then your TA probably had to cancel your booking and create a new one, which is why you lost your cabin. If you kept the same booking number, then I'm not sure why your cabin changed. Usually they just lower the price.

That's what happens when booking a gty, if the price goes down you get thrown back into the gty pool again and take the risk of what they'll assign you this time. It can be better than a cat M it can be worse.

This is why even though my April 09 cruise has gone down in price for an IS gty, I haven't done anything about it...They put me in a PR room and I don't want to lose it!! The PR room is worth much more than the $50 pp that I'd save. :p

We are on the same cruise as you and in the same boat (no pun intended). We got a Q Gty, assigned a room, got a better price, then thrown back into the room pool. Waiting to see where we are placed.

If you want to talk to some really cool people, stop by the Roll Call board.

There was a thread on Carnival about this, and everyone was telling the OP to not use that TA again, lousy TA, the TA should have warned the client he would be thrown back into the guarantee pool before getting the person $138 OBC, on and on. At least here folks are just saying this is what happens, instead of beating up on TAs so much.

OP maybe next time you get a better upgrade, fear not, its worth the gamble if you didnt have a special cabin booked that you really liked.

I was in the very same situation. We had a M guarantee senior rate for the first leg of our B2B and a Z guarantee for the second leg. We were THRILLED when we found we would be in the same cabin both legs. (Keeping the same cabin both legs is one of the special things about a B2B.)

But then there was a price drop, and we decided it was worth it to save $200 and lose that special benefit. But guess what? Even though they moved us back to the Z guarantee category, they have already assigned us to that same cabin again. So we got the best of both worlds.

Hope it works out as well for you.

I wish I would've known that I was going to lose my upgrade. I figured they would just credit me the difference and keep my res the way it was.

You didn't really loose an upgrade, because you weren't upgraded in the first place. An M cabin is an inside cabin, you booked an inside guarantee and that's what you got. You have now saved some money and gone back to the guarantee pool, this time you might be lucky and actually get upgraded, to an oceanview or above.:)

Archived