Recent experiences with Air Berlin

SouthernCaribbean

That is really a LTU flight (Air Berlin bought LTU not too long ago). I mention that only because you might want to check the web for reviews of both airlines.

I have never travelled with LTU. My intra-Europe Air Berlin flights have all been fine. A good budget airlines.

That is really a LTU flight (Air Berlin bought LTU not too long ago). I mention that only because you might want to check the web for reviews of both airlines.

I have never travelled with LTU. My intra-Europe Air Berlin flights have all been fine. A good budget airlines.

Thanks! I will check LTU

• 3 years later...

Hello all.

Looking into possibly flying airberlin home from venice after my Med Cruise in october of 2013. The flights seem very cheap and I am wondering if there is a catch? Im just looking for a cheap ride back from a very ex

pensive trip and would like an average amount of comfort. Although I am 5'6 and my boyfriend is 6'1. Will he be totally cramped? My flight would be from venice to JFK new york.

Thanks in advance

a very eager newbie

progress.gif

Hello all.

Looking into possibly flying airberlin home from venice after my Med Cruise in october of 2013. The flights seem very cheap and I am wondering if there is a catch? Im just looking for a cheap ride back from a very ex

pensive trip and would like an average amount of comfort. Although I am 5'6 and my boyfriend is 6'1. Will he be totally cramped? My flight would be from venice to JFK new york.

Thanks in advance

a very eager newbie

progress.gif

Of course there is a catch. You want average seating for a below average price.

You will likely feel cramped. To give you a comparison of various aircraft cross the Atlantic from JFK to Europe on any given day, here are the pitch (translates to legroom) and width of the seats in coach:

Air Berlin A330: 30" pitch, 17" width

British Airways 747: 31" pitch, 17.5" width

Air France A380: 32" pitch, 19" width

American 777: 32" pitch, 18" width

Alitalia 777: 32" pitch, 17" width

United 757 (often considered the most uncomfortable transatlantic ride): 31" pitch, 17.2" width

So, there ya go...you're basically getting the least legroom and seat width that you can, but I assume you're also paying the least ("very cheap"). You do get what you pay for in air travel most of the time.

Of course there is a catch. You want average seating for a below average price.

You will likely feel cramped. To give you a comparison of various aircraft cross the Atlantic from JFK to Europe on any given day, here are the pitch (translates to legroom) and width of the seats in coach:

Air Berlin A330: 30" pitch, 17" width

British Airways 747: 31" pitch, 17.5" width

Air France A380: 32" pitch, 19" width

American 777: 32" pitch, 18" width

Alitalia 777: 32" pitch, 17" width

United 757 (often considered the most uncomfortable transatlantic ride): 31" pitch, 17.2" width

So, there ya go...you're basically getting the least legroom and seat width that you can, but I assume you're also paying the least ("very cheap"). You do get what you pay for in air travel most of the time.

To be fair to AB it all depends on your build, I am 71'' and weigh 182lbs and didn't find the seat too bad for 10hrs30 between Dusseldorf and Miami three weeks ago. At 66'' you should be fine, though your boyfriend will feel a bit restricted which is why in response to your post elsewhere I urged you to book early and select the seats closest to the hull so he can stretch his legs out into the aisle from time to time. As the previous poster says, you get what you pay for, and if you need to economise the price differential for a few hours of lesser comfort is worth it. On the other hand, if you have money to spare...............:)

To be fair to AB it all depends on your build, I am 71'' and weigh 182lbs and didn't find the seat too bad for 10hrs30 between Dusseldorf and Miami three weeks ago. At 66'' you should be fine, though your boyfriend will feel a bit restricted which is why in response to your post elsewhere I urged you to book early and select the seats closest to the hull so he can stretch his legs out into the aisle from time to time. As the previous poster says, you get what you pay for, and if you need to economise the price differential for a few hours of lesser comfort is worth it. On the other hand, if you have money to spare...............:)

I agree that if money is tight, this is an easy way to save some. That's not really a long trip and you'll barely remember 7 hours of discomfort once you're off the plane. However, I was just going along the lines of lowering expectations - it's hard to get an average seat on a below average airline (and I mean below average in regards to price).

please excuse me as I dont know how to quote you all,

thank you so much for a speedy response ! Everyone was so helpful! I am really thinking about just going for it! I will splurge for our pre cruise flight so that we have a better flying expierence and start our trip off nicely but on the way back i think we will go air berlin! He will be so tired from the vaction that he should pass right out and if not its only so many hours.. Together we think the money we save should be worth it! ( ill remind him of that later when hes complaining :) )

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE

I think a lot of folks fail to read the dates of postings....the thread was originally from 2008!

Oops....please ignore my post where I ask how long it takes to connect between Western Airlines and Braniff at Stapleton Airport. :D

Archived