3rd passenger rates vary with cabin class?

kaisatsu

We're sailing Sapphire next summer in Alaska, and we've offered to pay for my sister to come with us. We're perfectly happy to let her share our mini-suite. However, when we called the TA to get a quote for the 3rd passenger, it was almost as expensive as the single-occupancy rate for an inside cabin (and more than the per-person for a double occupancy oceanview)!

I'm perfectly willing to pay the little extra to book her a cabin to herself (through a different TA), but we actually think it would be more fun for her to stay with us (since it's just a 7-day).

So, hopefully someone can enlighten me! Why on earth does the 3rd passenger rate vary by cabin class? The cabin amenities are already paid for by the two of us, so essentially it should just be the cost of food, fuel, and linens for an extra guest. Do they assume that mini-suite passengers are eat more, use more fuel, and waste towels? ;)

The rates for 3rd and 4ths sharing a stateroom have always been different for the different categories.

Promotional fare codes such as regional, etc. are only on passengers 1 and 2 in the cabin. 3rd and 4th's sharing are at the FIT rate code.

FYI - Princess has never been particularly generous with the discounts for 3rd's and 4th's.....over the first and second rates.. but that doesn't seen to stop then from filling their ships.

Rates should go higher by the type of category you are in. It has nothing to do with 1/2nd already paying the higher rate. People who book insides pay a lower rate then suites so therefore the 3/4th rate should be lower, you are staying in a small inside and not getting the perks of a suite....like a balcony or even a window. You could always get her an inside across the hall from your suite so she is nearby.

This is why we always book two side by side cabins for our family of four. We have found that we can usually get two balcony cabins for the same price as four in a mini-suite. We can go back and forth via the door between the balconies and we get more total space and two bathrooms!:)

--Junglejane

People who book insides pay a lower rate then suites so therefore the 3/4th rate should be lower, you are staying in a small inside and not getting the perks of a suite....like a balcony or even a window.

So is there something in the cruise line regulations that prohibit you from sleeping over in someone else's stateroom? I would assume not, since I've known plenty of single people to hook up during a cruise! Potentially they could get the benefits of a better room without paying for them! ;)

During the day, we're already planning to share our cabin space and balcony with my parents. What's to stop us from booking her as a 3rd passenger in their inside cabin, and then letting her sleep on our sofa instead?

It's not really that I want to cheat the system; I just want to feel like we're getting our money's worth. If it comes down to $1100 to book her onto our sofa bed or $1300 to book an extra cabin, I'd feel better paying the $1300, even if the second cabin is only used as an extra closet and bathroom.

The rates for 3rd and 4ths sharing a stateroom have always been different for the different categories.

Promotional fare codes such as regional, etc. are only on passengers 1 and 2 in the cabin. 3rd and 4th's sharing are at the FIT rate code.

FYI - Princess has never been particularly generous with the discounts for 3rd's and 4th's.....over the first and second rates.. but that doesn't seen to stop then from filling their ships.

The third and 4th discount is off of the fit rate, not the past passenger or regional rate, therefore, if the 1/2 are deeply discounted it often appears as if the 3rd and 4th are discounted only slightly. There are cases where the 3/4 are the same as 1/2, if 1/2 are discounted heavily enough off the fit rate to make them equal to or less then the 3/4 rate.

The third and 4th discount is off of the fit rate, not the past passenger or regional rate, therefore, if the 1/2 are deeply discounted it often appears as if the 3rd and 4th are discounted only slightly. There are cases where the 3/4 are the same as 1/2, if 1/2 are discounted heavily enough off the fit rate to make them equal to or less then the 3/4 rate.

HUH??? :eek:

OK. I think I understand this: when you are paying a discounted rate for #1/2, #3 would pay at a non-discounted which makes it appear as though you're paying a lot more in relation to #1/2. This would also explain why the #3 rate could be equal to the cost of a discounted inside cabin.

Yes, the #3 and #4 passenger rate has been set according to the cabin category for years. Nothing new there. And yes, if you get an inside cabin for your sister, she can sleep on the couch although she'd probably be a lot more comfortable in her own cabin. The mini-suites aren't all that big and the couch isn't that comfortable.

During the day, we're already planning to share our cabin space and balcony with my parents. What's to stop us from booking her as a 3rd passenger in their inside cabin, and then letting her sleep on our sofa instead?

Nothing stopping you assuming your parent's inside cabin is one that accommodates a third person. If it's cheaper to book her as a third in that cabin instead of as a third in your cabin, book her in that one, then get her cruise card set up to open your door.

OK. I think I understand this: when you are paying a discounted rate for #1/2, #3 would pay at a non-discounted which makes it appear as though you're paying a lot more in relation to #1/2. This would also explain why the #3 rate could be equal to the cost of a discounted inside cabin.

Yes, the #3 and #4 passenger rate has been set according to the cabin category for years. Nothing new there. And yes, if you get an inside cabin for your sister, she can sleep on the couch although she'd probably be a lot more comfortable in her own cabin. The mini-suites aren't all that big and the couch isn't that comfortable.

Pam , that's exactly what i meant, thanks for doing a better job than me. :)

• 5 months later...

I am looking at a cruise to Mexico this December, and I was very surprised to see that the 3rd and 4th passengers are MORE than the 1st and 2nd. This doesn't make sense to me, probably because in my case 3/4 are our two young sons. They can't eat THAT much! :P I didn't think the cruise was discounted, as the pricing is based on the princess website, so perhaps a loyalty discount is being applied. Since our sons are only 4 and 6, booking two rooms is out of the question. A second bathroom wouldn't be bad though!

Maria

I am looking at a cruise to Mexico this December, and I was very surprised to see that the 3rd and 4th passengers are MORE than the 1st and 2nd. This doesn't make sense to me, probably because in my case 3/4 are our two young sons. They can't eat THAT much! :P I didn't think the cruise was discounted, as the pricing is based on the princess website, so perhaps a loyalty discount is being applied. Since our sons are only 4 and 6, booking two rooms is out of the question. A second bathroom wouldn't be bad though!

Maria

A recent thread........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=980982&highlight=3rd+4th

Archived