Would an 11:21 am Flight out of MIA be cutting it too close?

ChristinaMarie

The Sky should arrive into POM at 8 on a friday. The flights that I am looking at have an 11:21 flight, then not another until 5:50 (bringing us home at around 11 pm). I have never cruised before, does NCL allow self debarkation? Would this flight be doable or not worth the risk and worry? In your experience, what time does NCL usually start allowing people off the ships?

Thanks in advance!

The Sky should arrive into POM at 8 on a friday. The flights that I am looking at have an 11:21 flight, then not another until 5:50 (bringing us home at around 11 pm). I have never cruised before, does NCL allow self debarkation? Would this flight be doable or not worth the risk and worry? In your experience, what time does NCL usually start allowing people off the ships?

Thanks in advance!

We were told not to book anything before 1 or 2 pm.

Thanks in advance!

We were on the Sky the beginning of November and we got into Port at 5 something in the morning. You could self embark before 8:00 so you would probably be fine.

Some airlines let you go standby on an earlier flight if you arrive at the airport early enough and there are seats available. You may want to think about booking the later flight and if you get there early enough and there is room on the 11:21am flight, you might be able to get on it. Otherwise, what happens if you book the 11:21 flight and you miss it?

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Noon maybe, but I had an experience aboard the Sun a few years back where several non-US passengers failed to clear immigration when scheduled to do so at 0700:eek:. I had a noon flight, and at 0930, no one had yet to leave the ship because immigration wouldn't give clearance, because several non-US passengers were having breakfast somewhere aboard ship. I got off at around 1010, still had to claim my bags, get a taxi, get to the airport, wait to check the bags, and finally wait in the TSA security line. I think we hit the gate at around 1130. I've since had many late afternoon flights out of Miami, just to make sure I had a flight on which to fly home.;)

I think you would have made it okay IF you did self disembark and took a taxi. Using anything group would slow you down.

They sometimes also offer a local tour that could eat up your time until the later flight. Or you could rent a car and tour the area.

Or, just stay another day and enjoy yourself.

See some more cruising tips below.

Just FYI. You can make your own decision based on your comfort level.

my sisters did this cruise in November and took the 11:00 something flight and they made the airport in more than enough time. Just pack light and do self-assist with your luggage.

I see you already made up your mind. But maybe this will help others who may be checking out this thread.

Thanks for the advice folks. We decided to just spend an extra day in Miami and catch an early morning flight the next day.

Excellent choice!

It amazes me the people who book early flights when the airlines say be at the airport 2 hours prior to boarding. I always am and sometimes more and have often still just made my flights.

Security is totally unpredictable and can take more than an hour at some airports and some times.

Not to mention traffic to the airport

Not to mention the disembarkation problems. I have NEVER been off a ship in about 16 sailings before 9:30 and some after NOON and I am in the first passengers to leave after self disembarkation, being in a wheelchair.

Last January we made a 10:30 flight out of Miaimi ( it was origiannlly 12 noon but the airlane nicely changed our flight!)

The year before we made a 1pm flight , arriving in port of Miami, flight out of FLL.

NCl seems very accomodating in letting you leave the ship when you need to, after clearance, of course.

mike

Archived