Best Canon Point and Shoot?

......Feature wise I'd pick the Panasonic any day

Hi,

Thanks for the insight. I'll be taking my SLR, but my wife just wanted to take a point and shoot for herself. Trying to decide if she is better off with the 28mm length of the Panasonic vs Canon's 36mm, or the 360mm length of the Canon vs Panasonic's 280mm.

I think the best current Canon P&S is the G10.

It is as close as you can get to a DSLR in a P&S. It's a bit on the large size for P&S but it's a great camera.

I have the previous version the G9.

I have a G9 and I love it. Has an eye level viewfinder and shoots raw. Both of those were musts for me.

DON

Hi,

Trying to decide between this SX110 IS and the Panasonic Lumix TZ5. Both 10X, but Canon is 36-360 and Lumix is 28-280. For an Alaska cruise, am I better off with the longer telephoto of Canon or the wider angle of Panasonic? Thanks.

For Alaska only, you would probably be better w the 36 - 360. However, in general, I would go for the wide angle lens. You can always crop out what you do not want but you you often can not step back enough to make up for the narrow vision of the 36 (which is actually equivalent to a 35mm lengh of maybe of about 50 mm. A 50 mm lens is a normal lens, not a wide angle.

DON

I have a Canon S5is which I like a lot. Was looking for something new to take Alaska in Aug. Had been looking at the SX10is for a while and was just about ready to pull the trigger on it when what do I see… :eek: aaaaaaggghhh!!!! :eek: Canon announces the S1is will be available in the US in April.. CMOS sensor, HD video 28-560 zoom $599 with amazon taking pre-orders… what's a camera nut to do??? :o

Anyway the other news is if you have or want an SX10 or S1 Lensmate has a new filter adapter for them. Its made of Delrin and snaps into the collar on the end of the lens.Takes a 58mm filter ;)

Archived