Anybody ever done a 1 nighter?

mmcruise

We are 99% definite that we're changing our 2009 cruise to a trip to Disney World, so I'm pining over this 1 nighter out of NYC on 1/3 to wrap up the holidays and get my ship fix. Only $99 pp, $49 for the 3rd passenger (inside cabin). I've got a hold on it till midnight tonight but I'm still on the fence...

Seems like it would be a good way to test the waters for NCL which we've never done, see if we'd survive in an inside cabin, and have a fun cheap cruise experience. NCL told me on the phone that all the kids' programs will be available on the 1-nighter, but just wondering if anybody's done one of these with kids. We did a 3 nighter over Labor Day weekend but wondering what a 1-nighter would be like.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I'm not sure what the point of a 1 nighter is! By the time you get settled, it's time to go home! Not my idea of a great time! And as far as seeing what that cruiseline is like....you know it's nothing like a 7 nighter will be.

The premise is good, but the reality isn't. If you just want to get 'on the boat', or look over a ship, do it. But the reality of the on nigthter out of NYC is that it is a booze cruise. Once out of the harbor, they open the duty free shopping for all you can carry off the ship. There will be table displays of beer everywhere, the hot tubs were full of drinkers by 2pm. (This was October 2007, NCL Spirit). Inside cabin was cozy, smaller than Carnival. We got no 'turn down' service from cabin steward, but did get ice refill on request. We had no complaints about the dining room, but others in our group at other tables felt the food was not nearly warm enough, nor cooked to their satisfaction. In October, it was too cold for the kids to use the pool...so scratch that. Entertainment was a bit adult oriented, but in one evening, it is difficult to sample all the venues. Not that I wouldn't go again...I was considering suggesting that cruise to my sister, but it is not your regular cruise experience. EM

From my experience, any one or two night cruises to nowhere are really booze and party cruises. Really not the atmosphere for a child. And they are totally not representative of the cruise line as a whole. Any longer cruises are no where near what a 1 or 2 night party cruise is.

For these type of cruises jmho is leave the kids at home and have a good time. They are NOT typical cruise experiences.

That's interesting, because the ones out of Seattle/Vancouver usually aren't nearly as boozy as you guys describe. We've done lots of them because they're super cheap and convenient for us, living in Seattle. I find it's a nice way to have a great meal and a night out and here they usually drop to around $59 per person 1st & 2nd and $29 3rd. There is usually a lot of duty-free shopping going on but they're usually not wild parties--certainly not compared to the 3-nighter I was on last weekend to the Bahamas.

Archived