My OPINION of RCCL Serenade of the Seas 10/30 - 11/6

[quote name='BADBUOY'][b]Please point out where the OP is expecting service beyond what is offered? Actually if you read it properly she rated the service onboard a 9. Way back when I learned to count, scoring a 9 was as close to perfect as one could get. Somehow if they had unrealistic expectations it would have come out in the wash when rating the service levels.[/b]

[b]If they served you plastic forks onboard and you mentioned that you would have preferred stainless steel forks for dinner would that suggest you belong on Crystal or Raddison? I think not as it was merely an observation.[/b]

[b]BD[/b][/QUOTE]

Why would you expect RCCL to offer different wine glasses (I'm stuck on this wine glass thing) for different wines served? Would that not be a high end cruise line service?

MTS

[quote name='cwallen'] but by the postings I have seen so far RCL loyalist it seems everyone is "ok" with getting less for an equal amount.[/QUOTE]
I don't see it as getting less for an equal amount. As far as service goes it was equal on Horizon and Explorer. Maybe Horizon had the upper hand with food but not by much. The variety was better but quality was the same... at least to this non savey eater.

There is not a Celebrity ship that compares to one of RCI's Voyager class. You may not like the Voyager sisters but I love them. So maybe Celebrity does some things better that RCI and maybe RCI does somethings better then Celebrity. In my mind I am not getting less for an equal amount. For the things that matter most to me I am getting much more from RCI.

[b]I don't think it was as much of an expectation as opposed to a 'it would have been nice'. [/b]

[b]Between you and I sometimes I can drink expensive wine out of a plastic beer glass and not get to bent out of shape about it and other times I do enjoy wine in a proper Reidel glass. [/b]

[b]Listen to the sound of two Reidel glasses clanking together and you'll understand the attraction.:) [/b]

[b]Buddy[/b]

[quote name='MTS']Why would you expect RCCL to offer different wine glasses (I'm stuck on this wine glass thing) for different wines served? Would that not be a high end cruise line service?

MTS[/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Lets just say that no, I wouldn't expect the proper type glass in a bar on the ship, or even in the Windjammer, but in the dining room it's just a case of etiquette. It just sort of fits in with real tableclothes and cloth napkins. If not, why have more than one fork per setting?? Same rules apply, IMHO.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='cwallen']MTS, I think you need to re-read my post. I think I stated that we had excellent food and premier service on Constellation at the same price as Serenade. My question is why do so many defend the "lesser quality" of food on RCL ships? I haven't sailed yet so I cannot attest to whether it is equal to or less thn Celebrity, but by the postings I have seen so far RCL loyalist it seems everyone is "ok" with getting less for an equal amount.[/QUOTE]

I simply believe that various cruise lines offer different things for different people. Their are more "upscale" lines (which generally charge more) and more informal, laid back lines which charge less money.

It would seem to me that those that are charging alot more money are most likely going to provide a higher level of service, and perhaps, food quality of a higher caliber.

Your example of paying the same fare for the two cruises is not the norm in the industry. If that were the case, don't you think high end lines would have a difficult time securing bookings? Certainly, you can get fantastic service and great food on most lines, but I think that their are lines that put more focus on food quality and service, and this is what they stake their reputation on. This is why some charge more, and some less.

MTS

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I don't see it as getting less for an equal amount. As far as service goes it was equal on Horizon and Explorer. Maybe Horizon had the upper hand with food but not by much. The variety was better but quality was the same... at least to this non savey eater.

There is not a Celebrity ship that compares to one of RCI's Voyager class. You may not like the Voyager sisters but I love them. So maybe Celebrity does some things better that RCI and maybe RCI does somethings better then Celebrity. In my mind I am not getting less for an equal amount. For the things that matter most to me I am getting much more from RCI.[/QUOTE]

I probably didn't use the correct verbiage when I stated getting less for an equal amount. I am only trying to compare two similar ships in age, size, itinerary, and price, and the perception (even by your post) that one has better food and food related services. There is no denying that the steaks are better at Morton's or The Palm than they are at Ponderosa, but why should they be when you are paying the same price for the steak?

I found this a while back and found it informative, as well as, I think, acurate and objective. I also got the impression that a couple of people here were'nt aware that RCI owns Celebrity. Hope this helps people to decide which cruise is right for them.

[url="http://www.chuckhawks.com/cruise_line_guide.htm"]http://www.chuckhawks.com/cruise_line_guide.htm[/url]

[quote name='MTS']I simply believe that various cruise lines offer different things for different people. Their are more "upscale" lines (which generally charge more) and more informal, laid back lines which charge less money.

It would seem to me that those that are charging alot more money are most likely going to provide a higher level of service, and perhaps, food quality of a higher caliber.

Your example of paying the same fare for the two cruises is not the norm in the industry. If that were the case, don't you think high end lines would have a difficult time securing bookings? Certainly, you can get fantastic service and great food on most lines, but I think that their are lines that put more focus on food quality and service, and this is what they stake their reputation on. This is why some charge more, and some less.

MTS[/QUOTE]

I agree with your assesment that upscale cruise lines charge more and more informal lines charge less, so how does that solve the mystery of why food quality and variety can vary so widely between two lines that are sister companies and charge basically the same price for a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise?

[quote name='MTS']I simply believe that various cruise lines offer different things for different people. Their are more "upscale" lines (which generally charge more) and more informal, laid back lines which charge less money.

MTS[/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I understand exactly what you are saying, and yes I would expect alot more on one of the premier lines. But, I just cannot understand why there are so many, so loyal to a single line that they are willing to accept, and actually agree to the "cheapening down" of any cruiseline. By willing to accept this, it is my belief that the cruise industry will follow the same path as the airline industry. Charge the same, or more as is the case now, for less service and no frills. Ultimately it could end up with all meals served al a carte, all we will get for our cruise dollars is a floating hotel room. It boils down to supply and demand, as our demands become watered down, the supply will continue to decrease in basic quality. Certain "qualities" should not be forgotten. This has been gradually going on for years and it's time that the "mainstream" cruiselines realize that their customers are not willing to accept this trend.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='gfromftlaud']So I guess, based on the way RCI enthusiast rate cruiselines on this thread, that puts RCI lower on the cruiseline luxury scale......and Carnival up to the level of Crystal and Raddison.....

Gary[/QUOTE]

Yup....Carnival is right up there with Crystal and Raddison. I thought everybody knew that!? heh heh heh

MTS

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]By willing to accept this, it is my belief that the cruise industry will follow the same path as the airline industry. Charge the same, or more as is the case now, for less service and no frills. Ultimately it could end up with all meals served al a carte, all we will get for our cruise dollars is a floating hotel room. It boils down to supply and demand, as our demands become watered down, the supply will continue to decrease in basic quality. Certain "qualities" should not be forgotten. This has been gradually going on for years and it's time that the "mainstream" cruiselines realize that their customers are not willing to accept this trend.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE][b]I do have to agree with this......[/b]

The problem with that argument is that customers are apparently more than willing to trade-off lower fares for service provided. Perhaps not to the extent that was the case with the airlines, but perhaps even to that extent: It's too soon to tell. What is clear is that the data doesn't yet show any indication that cruise lines following the trend have been subject to lower profits.

Funny, you know I have visited vineyards all over Napa and Sonoma, and I have found that about 99% of them use the exact same glass in their tasting rooms for all wines. Generally at a tasting, you drink 4 or 5 wines all in the same glass. If you want you can rinse them out with a pitcher of water. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a new glass at a wine tasting, but realistically you don't get that even at a fancy vineyard. I have dropped thousands of dollars buying wine at a vineyard and still had the tasting in a 99cent Libby glass.

I, also, have to agree with Ocean Boy that while Celebrity and RCI are indeed priced in a similar fashion they are not really the same. Celebrity has an older clientel, they have only the traditional activities on board. There are no rock walls, pool tables, ice skating rinks, miniature golf course, etc. IE RCI is aiming for a more active customer and families. Celebrity is aiming for people who are more mature and are more likely to be interested in food over fun. So, yes, you can get better food for about the same money(although in my personal experience with 2 Celebrity cruises and 4 RCI that the food is awfully similar). However, the ships are not equal at all for people who want more to do than to eat and read a book.

I don't care if the OP has or doesn't have an attitude. I do believe that they posted it in a way that we can get a good idea of what to expect on a cruise. After reading the OPs posting, I would be very comfortable booking a cruise on that ship. I would understand that the food would not be unforgettable, but that I would get food equal to an Olive Garden, and I can live with that!:D

jc

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I understand exactly what you are saying, and yes I would expect alot more on one of the premier lines. But, I just cannot understand why there are so many, so loyal to a single line that they are willing to accept, and actually agree to the "cheapening down" of any cruiseline. By willing to accept this, it is my belief that the cruise industry will follow the same path as the airline industry. Charge the same, or more as is the case now, for less service and no frills. Ultimately it could end up with all meals served al a carte, all we will get for our cruise dollars is a floating hotel room. It boils down to supply and demand, as our demands become watered down, the supply will continue to decrease in basic quality. Certain "qualities" should not be forgotten. This has been gradually going on for years and it's time that the "mainstream" cruiselines realize that their customers are not willing to accept this trend.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]

Strtch,
You now have my proxy and can speak on my behalf. I couldn't have said it better!! I must now go earn a living to pay for my watered down cruise...

[quote name='cwallen']I agree with your assesment that upscale cruise lines charge more and more informal lines charge less, so how does that solve the mystery of why food quality and variety can vary so widely between two lines that are sister companies and charge basically the same price for a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise?[/QUOTE]

CWALLEN:

This response from another poster, was essentially the same as what I was going to say.

MTS

Sorry, forgot to paste it in:

I, also, have to agree with Ocean Boy that while Celebrity and RCI are indeed priced in a similar fashion they are not really the same. Celebrity has an older clientel, they have only the traditional activities on board. There are no rock walls, pool tables, ice skating rinks, miniature golf course, etc. IE RCI is aiming for a more active customer and families. Celebrity is aiming for people who are more mature and are more likely to be interested in food over fun. So, yes, you can get better food for about the same money(although in my personal experience with 2 Celebrity cruises and 4 RCI that the food is awfully similar). However, the ships are not equal at all for people who want more to do than to eat and read a book.

[quote name='bicker']The problem with that argument is that customers are apparently more than willing to trade-off lower fares for service provided. Perhaps not to the extent that was the case with the airlines, but perhaps even to that extent: It's too soon to tell. What is clear is that the data doesn't yet show any indication that cruise lines following the trend have been subject to lower profits.[/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I think it's safe to say that RCI has not lost profits of late, although I have no factual evidence to support this theory, but the fact that they continue to turn out new ships at a regular pace, indicates that their bottom line is alive and well. Understanding that they are in business to make a profit, and with the cruise industry in general a hot commodity I think it's safe to believe that they just may be getting a little greedy and the acceptance of "fun" vacations over "quality" vacations by their customers is cheapening the cruise experience. Just one of my humble opinions.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

Whether or not you agree with the OP's opinion it is her opinion and she is stating it from her point of view.She is entitled to that.When I first started reading it I did think it sounded a little condescending but overall I think it was a good review.She stated that she enjoys more expensive and upscale dining and shows.She never said the other restaurants and shows were bad,just not what she prefers.She was trying to make comparisons.If you read the entire review most of it is very positive.She probably would have preferred Celebrity or an upscale line like Crystal much more but how would she know that with this being her first time on RCI.A review like this might be very helpful for someone cruising the first time and trying to decide which line to sail with.You can read as many boards as you want but honestly you don't know what to expect with so many different opinions and can't really form your own until you've been there and done that yourself.One thing I noticed on this thread and I already have my flame suit on is I noticed a couple of people who were so offended with the OP's post and thought she was a snob are the same ones who have put down one of the other lines and seemed to think it was beneath them.I'm also not a big wine drinker but I know some people who are and the glass matters a lot to them.I have been told that the different shape of the glass gives different experiences.This is probably not important with cheaper wines.The ships tend to sell the less expensive bottles so this is probably one of the reasons they don't use all the different ones.

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Funny, you know I have visited vineyards all over Napa and Sonoma, and I have found that about 99% of them use the exact same glass in their tasting rooms for all wines. Generally at a tasting, you drink 4 or 5 wines all in the same glass. If you want you can rinse them out with a pitcher of water. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a new glass at a wine tasting, but realistically you don't get that even at a fancy vineyard. I have dropped thousands of dollars buying wine at a vineyard and still had the tasting in a 99cent Libby glass.

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]jc, I'm truly sorry that you have spent soooo much $$ at some of the best vineyards in our country and was subjected to having to "mix" wines. Perhap you should try some of our North Georgia vineyards. At the ones that I have tried, I have always received an appropriate, clean glass for each wine tried. I guess you can chalk that up to "southern charm". :D [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='stretch'][quote name='xpcdoojk']Funny, you know I have visited vineyards all over Napa and Sonoma, and I have found that about 99% of them use the exact same glass in their tasting rooms for all wines. Generally at a tasting, you drink 4 or 5 wines all in the same glass. If you want you can rinse them out with a pitcher of water. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a new glass at a wine tasting, but realistically you don't get that even at a fancy vineyard. I have dropped thousands of dollars buying wine at a vineyard and still had the tasting in a 99cent Libby glass.

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]jc, I'm truly sorry that you have spent soooo much $$ at some of the best vineyards in our country and was subjected to having to "mix" wines. Perhap you should try some of our North Georgia vineyards. At the ones that I have tried, I have always received an appropriate, clean glass for each wine tried. I guess you can chalk that up to "southern charm". :D [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]
I keep waiting for that invitation to the Stretch tour of Georgian wineries, I always wondered what would Scarlet O'Hara drink!:D I just love a free trip to a winery, any winery will do even one in Georgia. I always thought moonshine came in a brown jug. Live and learn I always say!:p

jc

Archived