My opinion of Anytime Dining

gargoyle999

For those of you who find great waiters in AD and want to be in their section all week---HERE is how you do it!

Ask them what table numbers they serve--it's always the same #. In our case, our waiters served 2 tables for two ==we noted the table numbers.

next night, we arrived and asked to sit at either table X or table Y: we said we would be happy to wait--we went to the bar with a buzzer and had a cocktail.

I think I really like this idea! It would give you the flexibility to still dine when you wanted and not be set to a fixed time, but get the waiters you like. I would have been willing to wait. I'll try that next time if we find someone we like. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

The thing that busts my chops is when we were being seated, I ask if we could have a lovely table for two at the window. It was vacant, BUT RESERVED, so of course we couldn't get it...and stayed vacant the whole time we dined. I just don't think it's fair to "reserve" the best tables in anytime dining. But then again, I don't think it's fair to "reserve" any table in "anytime" dining. Just my opinion.....

I've made the same observation so I know exactly what you are saying. I made this same point on a thread similar to this a month or so ago and was told that no way would that happen as well as head waiters and Maitre'd getting a nice pre tip to take care of reservations. I've seen it happen, again, just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple examples which happened to me:

In our recent cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

On a different nite when we couldn't get reservations, we went to the dining room at 6:15pm. As usual, the line for people with reservations was longer than the line of people without reservations trying to get in. How those people got the reservations is puzzling given the rules on reservations and the fact we called 1st thing that morning and couldn't get one.

Its not a matter of starvation. Its a matter of being able to do the other things you want to do on that cruise. If they won't let you in anytime dining until 8pm, you can't go see the 8-9pm entertainment. That was a part of my cruise purchase price, I ought to be able to go see it. You could wait for the really late entertainment at 11 to midnight, but when the ship is scheduling shore excursions for 6/7am the next day, its not a viable option.

I know there are people who believe anytime still works great. I can just tell you my recent experiences have been that it has deteriorated and sooner or later, it will be impacting everyone. Wish they'd just go back to "any time"/in other words no reservations & enforcing only those who are signed up for it are allowed in! It worked great back then. Now, its a frustrating wait/game & potential miss of other activities. No one needs that on their vacation.

Hi folks,

I think our first 6 Princess cruises where anytime not by choice, we then got fixed and loved it, next cruise we had the table mates from hell,

then we had great table mates however on a table of six I think there was only three nights out of 14 that we were all there,

as we all tried the Crown grill our went to buffet etc.

On my last two any time cruises I think out of 28 nights we will have eaten only 5 times in the dinning room, as there are plenty of other places to eat, but often if we have eaten ashore, so many people cruise and fail to try local food which is a great pity, why travel to France and not try real French cooking.

On my cruise next week we have anytime but do not expect we will eat there many times.

yours Shogun

A couple examples which happened to me:

In our recent cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

On a different nite when we couldn't get reservations, we went to the dining room at 6:15pm. As usual, the line for people with reservations was longer than the line of people without reservations trying to get in. How those people got the reservations is puzzling given the rules on reservations and the fact we called 1st thing that morning and couldn't get one.

Its not a matter of starvation. Its a matter of being able to do the other things you want to do on that cruise. If they won't let you in anytime dining until 8pm, you can't go see the 8-9pm entertainment. That was a part of my cruise purchase price, I ought to be able to go see it. You could wait for the really late entertainment at 11 to midnight, but when the ship is scheduling shore excursions for 6/7am the next day, its not a viable option.

I know there are people who believe anytime still works great. I can just tell you my recent experiences have been that it has deteriorated and sooner or later, it will be impacting everyone. Wish they'd just go back to "any time"/in other words no reservations & enforcing only those who are signed up for it are allowed in! It worked great back then. Now, its a frustrating wait/game & potential miss of other activities. No one needs that on their vacation.

Wow, those were terrible experiences. Was this associated with just one ship, and if so, which ship was that?

In all of our voyages with princess and most all with PC dining, we never encountered anything like that. Sure we might have had to wait 15 minutes to 1/2 hour to get a table, but we always found someone to spend the time with at the bar. Maybe it was the time of day we arrived at the dining room, usually around 7:30 that made the difference.

We just got back from our first Princess cruise. It was on the Sapphire to Mexico. One of the main things I was interested in was the Anytime Dining they offer. I just wanted to share a few comments about it.

I did like the flexibility of it. You could go earlier or later and didn't have to have a set time. The menu is the same and I think the food was fine in the different dining room we went to. I also liked being able to request a table for two.

I do think they should eliminate reservations for the Anytime however. We just showed up when we were ready to eat and a couple nights were told the wait would be over an hour. Although we didn't have to wait that long due to reservations where people didn't show up! But once seated I saw several empty tables presumably waiting for reservations while others waited in line to get seated for over 20 minutes. I think the Anytime would work better if it was first come first served.

I can see what people mean about developing a relationship with their servers. On only one night did the servers actually take time to really talk to us. So if you can get Paula and Joel in the Vivaldi dining room do so! They were the best. They were also the only ones to tell us about the specialty of that dining room! We had them on Monday night. We liked them so much we tried to get a standing reservation with them. I won't go into it, but it didn't work out.

So we only had them only the one night but thought so highly of them, especially compared to the other service we received, we filled out those cards to highlight good service for each of them and even went back the last night to give them a tip.

One thing about the table for two, I knew it would be close to other tables so I expected that and it wasn't too bad. But I did not like when the waiter was serving the table next to you and had to walk in between the tables. Their butt is right there hanging over your table! So that was actually worse than the proximity to the other tables.

Overall, I would probably go with Anytime dining again just for the flexibility of it and being able to request a table for two. The service was not bad just not very personal except for the one night.

I pretty much agree with what you witnessed. We love flex dining and would probably not cruise a line that did not offer it, but, that being said, you give up that personal touch that so many equate with cruising.

Nita

I would like some feed back and your opinion as to what we should do when we go on the Sapphire in a week. I have no problem making a reservation for dinner, but when doing so in the past, have always been seated at a table for two. I would much prefer to share a table and meet new people than sit alone at a table for two. But the last time we called in to make a reservation on the Diamond (this was years ago) we were never allowed to share a table. In fact, we were always told that there was no space at any table - we had to be seated alone! So we made reservations and spent the week together at a table for two. It was fine, and did end up liking the waiter and his team very much. But my husband and I would much prefer to eat with others, like we do at open seating lunch and dinner.

Any advice as to what we can do to sit with others at dinner? I will again mention my preference, but I am afraid that again will be told that we have to make a reservation fo a table for two. Showing up to share a table has never worked out!

Thanks.

Suzi

I would like some feed back and your opinion as to what we should do when we go on the Sapphire in a week. I have no problem making a reservation for dinner, but when doing so in the past, have always been seated at a table for two. I would much prefer to share a table and meet new people than sit alone at a table for two. But the last time we called in to make a reservation on the Diamond (this was years ago) we were never allowed to share a table. In fact, we were always told that there was no space at any table - we had to be seated alone! So we made reservations and spent the week together at a table for two. It was fine, and did end up liking the waiter and his team very much. But my husband and I would much prefer to eat with others, like we do at open seating lunch and dinner.

Any advice as to what we can do to sit with others at dinner? I will again mention my preference, but I am afraid that again will be told that we have to make a reservation fo a table for two. Showing up to share a table has never worked out!

Thanks.

Suzi

That's hogwash - when you call for the reservation, just tell them you want to be seated at a table to share - We do it all the time.

Ron

If pax want reservations then they should indicate on their cruise booking 1st or 2nd sitting, as I do. We always take 2nd, so no rush.

That would be fine if 1st and 2nd seating were available for all who want them. They are not so Princess tries to help out those people.

In my opinion these people who are reserving tables in the Anytime dining are bribing the Maitre'd's or Head Waiters, they have to be, to get the tables they want and that is corruption, no other word for it. in other words those who can afford to pay reap the benefits, not fair, not right and if I had evidence of it, I would take it to the top, they will get no bribe money from me.

First come to the anytime dining, first in, stuff the corruptors!:mad:

That's not exactly how it happens. At least not all the time.

On our Christmas cruise we were 10 people traveling together. 5 adults. 5 kids. When we got our cruise cards it turns out that we were not seated together at dinner. When my husband and BIL went to see the maitre'd it was the maitre'd who suggested that we move to a table for 10 in the AD room at the same time every night. There was no bribery.

I really really don't want to wait to eat on a cruise. One of the things I like about cruising is that it's hassle free. All the arrangements are made. With 10 of us it's a big deal. The last thing I want to do is to wait with 5 hungry kids.

What about those who reserve Traditional?

Should they be banned if they do not show up?

Wouldn't that cause more of a wait in Anytime? :rolleyes:

I always book the late seating of traditonal dinning, at a large table. Some nights I may not show up because I'm at the specialty restaurant, or the buffet because I dont want to put on a tux. Please dont ban me.

Thanks.

Suzi

I absolutely have no idea how this happened to you. Usually it's the tables for two that people have to wait for. When we do Anytime dining we just go to the dining room when we want to eat, ask to be seated at a table with others, and, bingo, we're in the dining room without a wait, or hardly any. We seriously have never waited more than 5 minutes in line, and only then because they were backed up seating people ahead of us.

Maybe since this happened years ago, things will be different now. We've never even had a reservation, always just showed up and have always been seated at a larger table. I hope you'll find out that things have changed since your experience. We enjoy eating with others too. I don't really even want to make a reservation, because then we are tied to that time and often may change our mind about when to eat depending upon how tired we are from excursions, what shows we want to see, etc.

I think there is pros and cons to both. We have quite enjoyed AD from the point of view of meeting new people each evening and getting to know them and something about where they are from. On the other hand there is something nice about sitting down for dinner with the same gang each evening, so long as the table is compatable, however we have had some that are not. Put us down as undecided.

Well, after reading every message in this thread, we are more confused than ever. My husband and I are planing to book on the Sapphire Princess and unsure whether to book Traditional or Anytime dining. On past cruises, we have always booked the late seating-Traditional, but have very often had incapatible table companions. On our recent Oceania cruise (admitedly, a smaller ship and fewer passengers) we loved the anytime dining. We loved the fact that if we met other interesting people during the day, we could arrange to meet at a certain time near the dining room, usually around 7:30pm, ask the Maitre'd for a table for 4 or 6 and then sit and have a drink together until we were called. During our 12 day cruise, we met many interesting/compatible people and our "dining group" grew to 12. Each evening, there was always some of us ready to share a table. On the last night, the Maitre'd arranged two tables together so that we 12 could dine. We had a wonderful time.

The thought of having to reserve a table for a certain time each day with Princess, defeats the joy of flexibility. Does anyone know if our plan above, would work on Princess Anytime dining?

Well, after reading every message in this thread, we are more confused than ever. My husband and I are planing to book on the Sapphire Princess and unsure whether to book Traditional or Anytime dining. On past cruises, we have always booked the late seating-Traditional, but have very often had incapatible table companions. On our recent Oceania cruise (admitedly, a smaller ship and fewer passengers) we loved the anytime dining. We loved the fact that if we met other interesting people during the day, we could arrange to meet at a certain time near the dining room, usually around 7:30pm, ask the Maitre'd for a table for 4 or 6 and then sit and have a drink together until we were called. During our 12 day cruise, we met many interesting/compatible people and our "dining group" grew to 12. Each evening, there was always some of us ready to share a table. On the last night, the Maitre'd arranged two tables together so that we 12 could dine. We had a wonderful time.

The thought of having to reserve a table for a certain time each day with Princess, defeats the joy of flexibility. Does anyone know if our plan above, would work on Princess Anytime dining?

Anytime dining with that plan would work fine. It is what i normally do (although at 6pm)

Archived