First time cruiser confused about passport vs.birth certificate for minors HELP!

doulaamy

We are cruising on 6.25.09.

Our children will be 6 and 4.

After calling the National Passport Office for questions about what the kids would need, they told me for sea travel, they need a birth certificate only.

I called RCCL and they told me passports are mandatory.:confused::confused:

Which one is true? I'd hate spending the money if I don't have to. Not to mention that I need notarized statements from my husband because he's can't appear in person with me to apply for them (deployed to Afghanistan).

I just keep thinking...those 9 days at sea will be worth it...Can anyone help?

Passports are recommended but not required for your June 25, 2009 cruise. There is an exception to the passport requirements for roundtrip cruises from a US port so you are covered.

Be aware that if your husband won't be back to cruise with you in June, you will need a notarized statement authorizing you to take your kids out of the country without him.

New rules go into effect on June 1, 2009. You will need a passport for yourself and minors. I am attaching the link to the passport website with all the details.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that information and I saw that when I looked the first time, but when I called they said something different. :confused:

Passports are recommended but not required for your June 25, 2009 cruise. There is an exception to the passport requirements for roundtrip cruises from a US port so you are covered.

Be aware that if your husband won't be back to cruise with you in June, you will need a notarized statement authorizing you to take your kids out of the country without him.

He's going...he's the reason we're going..

If he's not back by then, someone is in HUGE trouble :)

I've already printed off the forms needed for him to fill out because he cannot appear in person to do their applications.

Where does it state the exception for US ports? RCCL has no idea of this, btw.

From the Department of Homeland Security Website

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Here's the link

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

From the Department of Homeland Security Website

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Here's the link

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Now only if we could get RCCL on board...literally...I appreciate the information.

I have officially emailed RCCL to get an answer.

I will update when I know.

Something isn't right. One hand isn't communicating with the other, it seems and I don't want to spend the money on passports if I don't have to.

Thanks guys!

I have officially emailed RCCL to get an answer.

I will update when I know.

Something isn't right. One hand isn't communicating with the other, it seems and I don't want to spend the money on passports if I don't have to.

Thanks guys!

You should be contacting Dept of State NOT RCL..they can advise but their T&C state they are not responsible..

Anyway, most posters on here are correct under 16 only needs a BC, can't be a hospital one, needs to be official raised seal or state seal...

Problem is the dept of state keeps changing the rules every time you look for the past 4 years now.

The way I read this weekend if it was by land or sea to mexico, canada and carribean - under 16 could use just a birth certificate even after 6/1/09.

I guess I will make some calls because if this is not so then I will have to tell my 13 year she can go on a cruise in may because her deadbeat dad is missing and have not been able to find for the last 8 years. No money no nothing.

Problem is the dept of state keeps changing the rules every time you look for the past 4 years now.

The way I read this weekend if it was by land or sea to mexico, canada and carribean - under 16 could use just a birth certificate even after 6/1/09.

I guess I will make some calls because if this is not so then I will have to tell my 13 year she can go on a cruise in may because her deadbeat dad is missing and have not been able to find for the last 8 years. No money no nothing.

Thay have changed it BUT they are running ads on TV which made me look it up. It is OFFICIAL that no passport is needed for closed loop sailings. However if your a single parent, you need something from the court showing that you cannot locate the father.

I thought the cruiseline could make the rule whatever they wanted. After all, they are the people checking you in at embarkation. Can someone clarify?

That is incorrect Immigration checks your ID. The cruise line advises but again read the T&C and they are not responsible for denied boarding due to impropper ID.

I don't know if I need them or don't need them, but I finally broke down and bought them for my family last summer. All I can say, is it a relief to not have to worry about it anymore! If I need them, I've got them...and if I don't need them...oh well. No worries.

I agree 100%..it is so much easier. No BC to lose or trying to put your DL back in your wallet while people behind you give you dirty looks. well worth the $$ and I am a self proclaimed Cheap Skate!!

Another opinion. Why don't you just get the passports? This way 1) You'll have them so you don't have to worry about conflicting reports for your upcoming cruise and 2) You'll have them in case (as someone posted earlier) Heaven forbid something should happen and you have to fly home. I know they are expensive but the kids' passports are good for 5 years. Do you think there is any chance that you might travel again in the next 5 years? Now you'll have them and you won't have to go through the hassle later. Who knows how much more expensive they may get in the next few years.

Another opinion. Why don't you just get the passports? This way 1) You'll have them so you don't have to worry about conflicting reports for your upcoming cruise and 2) You'll have them in case (as someone posted earlier) Heaven forbid something should happen and you have to fly home. I know they are expensive but the kids' passports are good for 5 years. Do you think there is any chance that you might travel again in the next 5 years? Now you'll have them and you won't have to go through the hassle later. Who knows how much more expensive they may get in the next few years.

Well, it's not necessarily easier for me. My husband is currently in Afghanistan so if I have to get the passports, I need to have his notarized statement since he can't come with us. He's not home until 6/1 and there is no way we'd get them back in time unless it was expedited and we paid A LOT MORE. I see everyone's reasoning for "just getting them" but it's a hassle and I want to make sure I "HAVE" to.

As you have figured out, this issue is messy. I think you have been mostly provided with correct information so far on this thread.

Basically, the Final Rule of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative goes into effect June 1, 2009. Although that rule does require passports for most travel into the United State, there is a significant exception for (1) US Citizen cruise passengers, who are (2) on closed-loop itineraries (3) departing from the US, and which (4) remain wholly within the WHTI defined area. That's a long list of requirements, but it covers the vast majority of cruise passengers leaving from the US.

For the foreseeable future, those excepted cruise passengers will not be required to present passports.

You do run a risk of difficulty should you be required to return home in an emergency situation during your cruise, since returning to the US by air is not normally excepted from presenting a passport. The US Government has taken the position that it should not be a big deal, because it is possible to be granted a waiver in the case of an emergency, but we simply do not have any current, verifiable data to back that claim at this point.

(BTW, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are US Territories, so the issue would be moot from those two ports.)

You can read a lot more details about this whole issue on the web page I put together which outlines the research I have done.

It is no surprise that the cruise line is not consistent on this. They are rarely consistent on anything. This is normal.

Many folks have very strong opinions on this matter. Don't let them discourage you from making the decision that is appropriate for you and your family.

Theron

We travelled last December with our 4 kids (10, 9 6 and 4 at the time) and used BC and their school IDs (yes, our 4 y/o had a school id!)... it was a PAIN! It took longer to get onboard and thru customs. So as I take each kid on an alone mom/child trip, I will be getting each their passport...2 down, 2 to go. I personally think its SO much easier getting on/off the ship!

Do you have Power fo Attorney? Both times my brother-in-law was deployed my sister had Power of Attorney - Could you check with the state dept maybe that would be acceptable in place of him being in person. It works for other legal documents.

Archived