Would you upgrade from ocean view to balcony If?

kooljamming

We are booked in the ocean view cabin on Sapphire Princess for the February 14 sailing. We are considering upgrading to the balcony but not sure if it would be worth it. The difference in cost might mean loosing one of our two planned vacations this summer. Since we are not taking the kids, the balcony would be affordable. With lower gas price, this is a perfect time for a summer road trip along tht coast to San Fransisco. With the economic situation, doubt I can afford both, well three since we are booked for Mexico in July.

Thanks

Have only had balconies on cruises but I am also about traveling as much as I can. As long as you spend as much time as possible outside your cabin, it would be a easy choice for me. Keep the OV and travel more this summer. :)

My wife and I made the "mistake" of booking a balcony cabin on our first (and what we thought might be our only) cruise and now we wouldn't be without one. We spend many pleasurable and quiet hours on the balcony. I've often said one of my favourite times on a cruise is sitting on the balcony at the end of the day with a glass of something cool watching the day's landfall fade into the distance.

My wife and I made the "mistake" of booking a balcony cabin on our first (and what we thought might be our only) cruise and now we wouldn't be without one. We spend many pleasurable and quiet hours on the balcony. I've often said one of my favourite times on a cruise is sitting on the balcony at the end of the day with a glass of something cool watching the day's landfall fade into the distance.

That's such a beautiful image, especailly without the kids.:D Maybe I should not make the 'mistake' of a balcony because that could get expensive for future cruises with our kids. I might have to trade the view from the balcony for the view along coast. Plus, the view from the deck is quite good.:)

Started with an OV, then went to a balcony next 3 or 4 cruise. Then went to a mini-suite on the Dawn, which will really spoil you, been there ever since.

But never stretch the budget. Except maybe in Alaska.

Also you just got your fuel sir charge back

OV is sufficient for us...and I am pretty sure if it would cost a couple of other trips I would stick with OV.

OV for me - after our smoky balcony last year we were very happy with our OV on the Ruby and unless we are on DCL, upgraded or they are the same price:rolleyes: I will not be spending my $$ on a balcony we may not be able to enjoy:D

That's such a beautiful image, especailly without the kids.:D Maybe I should not make the 'mistake' of a balcony because that could get expensive for future cruises with our kids. I might have to trade the view from the balcony for the view along coast. Plus, the view from the deck is quite good.:)

Skywalkers have a great view and for the price of a drink you can sit there and enjoy the view - much cheaper than the balcony I am sure:D:D

We are booked in the ocean view cabin on Sapphire Princess for the February 14 sailing. We are considering upgrading to the balcony but not sure if it would be worth it. The difference in cost might mean loosing one of our two planned vacations this summer. Since we are not taking the kids, the balcony would be affordable. With lower gas price, this is a perfect time for a summer road trip along tht coast to San Fransisco. With the economic situation, doubt I can afford both, well three since we are booked for Mexico in July.

Thanks

If the upgrade costs are going to take away (or very possibly will) additional vacations you are looking forward to or have planned, I think you pretty much answered your own question here....Only you know what your finances really are on this scenario. Hopefully you can get that balcony and those other vacations !

We've always done inside cabin and found it very suitable as we are hardly in our cabin, however for our forthcoming Ruby we have booked a minisuite so think we are going to feel spoilt.

Must admit, before final payment to be made we did reconsider downgrading to save quite a bit but thought it's for our special birthdays so 'why not'.

Having never done oceanview I would think it too much of a 'tease' to see the ocean and not be able to breath it's fresh air!

In summary and to answer your question, if it interferes with the likelyhood of another holiday later in the year I would stick with oceanview.

Ultimately, this is your choice, but I'd not give up one vacation for the benefit of another. We had a balcony on our last cruise, but we didn't have our daughter with us. That extra expense means our next cruise will be on an inside cabin. Does it bother me? Not one bit. I'd rather have my entire family with me.

Thanks

:eek:

Nope, don't take the balcony, at least don't pay for the upgrade. Why lose a vacation to enhance one, especially since this is a Mexico Cruise. If you upgrade, you will pay attention to every thing that happens on the ship, especially the things you don't like. Hello. Don't set yourself up or you might be singing the same song that I sang (see my review)! LOL

I would never miss an opportunity to travel up highway 1 at anytime. The Redwoods begin south of Big Sur in Limekiln State park, one of the best and least known state parks in California, and continue on all the way to the border.

Good luck with your decision, you know what is best for you!

Amelia

Have only had balconies on cruises but I am also about traveling as much as I can. As long as you spend as much time as possible outside your cabin, it would be a easy choice for me. Keep the OV and travel more this summer. :)

I am glad I read through the responses before I made mine because this one is perfect for your situation.

We have had one OV and it was a last minute trip on NCL in the Caribbean. Our cabin was on the Promenade deck and we found it to be a fun experience because we just took our "adult beverages" outside and sat in the comfy lounge chairs and had ourselves a huge balcony. This would not be possible on Princess because there aren't cabins on that deck, but the point is like the poster above said, take yourselves outside as much as possible and you'll be able to enjoy your motor trip along the coast.

Thanks

Speaking as a native son of San Francisco, I'd have to agree with the frugal posters here. You don't say whether you'd be driving north or south to "The City"; but I sure wouldn't give up either drive for the sake of a balcony (much as we've become addicted to the balcony choice!) We didn't know SOCAL at all until a few years ago, but have really come to like the desert, and San Diego as well.

If it's SF drive or balcony, do the drive? Where in California are you?

For us, part of the cruising experience is having our own private balcony. Without it, we would not even consider a cruise. I hate being trapped in a cabin without even a window to open.

So, I guess you have my answer to your question. Quality vs Quantity anyday!

We have had inside, OV and a balcony and I reckon any of the above is fine. A hammock on the deck would do me as long as I am aboard! We had a balcony for our Alaska trip and whilst it was lovely to sit out there and watch the scenery, I did find our rather noisy neighbours a bit of a turn off. The fact that they were smokers and were bickering a bit was a real pain when all I wanted was a bit of peace and quiet and clean air.

A balcony is lovely but I wouldn't put off your other trips! How much time do you really want to spend in your room? Your choice, of course. Enjoy whatever you do!

I feel your pain/happiness :-) I made the mistake of booking a mini on our first cruise and have had one for each of our five cruises (almost backed off on our 14 day Panama Canal cruise earlier this year but glad I didn't).

Being able to sit on the balcony (covered or uncovered) with the bottle of wine playing cribbage with the DW just "killing time" is what it's all about. It could be done on deck somewhere I know, but not in our jammies :-)

This topic has been discussed at great legnth on many boards so you might want to do a search to get many opinions. Fortunately for us, on our first cruise with a balcony, we barely spent 15 minutes a day on the balcony. On our cruise the problem was fog and humidity every morning, hot humid days and early sunset (along with our early seating). While the cruise itself was great, I still wish I had the money back I spent on the balcony.

I would never give up another vacation for a balcony. You can get all the fresh air and beautiful scenery by going out on the deck of the ship. Every ship has many nooks and crannies to sit and relax and enjoy the view.

We personally prefer an upper level inside cabin so we can just run up a flight or 2 of steps to be outside, rather than an OV on a lower deck. This even saves additional money.

I would keep my eye out for guarantees or price drops.

The balcony is such a cruise dream of mine. The suites seem too nice and comfortable, I might not wish to leave the cabin to enjoy the ship. However, I have given little thought to the fact I might not use the balcony, which could be quite disappointing for the exta $$$. This is a new ship with much to see, discovery, and explore. I don't mind the inside cabin but I miss having some natural light, if not I spend way too much time resting. Once I slept so much my eyes started to hurt. I am a early riser but find it difficult to wake up or even staying awake while relaxing for a bit in the cabin:D. It's nice to hear from posters who have done or considered all options.

Guillermo

We are in Southern California, about 45 minutes from Palm Springs...hot, hot, hot. We are considering Rt. 1, up the coast to Monterey, Santa Cruz, stopping at Hearst Castle, maybe staying in San Jose. I haven't figured out this trip as yet.

Thanks

All we've had is a balcony, and I couldn't do without it now.

Archived