Miami hotel in Feb.

luvseadays

Have been researching, etc. on Miami hotel for 2/12-2/13, post cruise stay. Now I know that these dates have both President's Day and a boat show "attached" to them, but I can't get over how pricey everything is! I also know that it is high season for the area. What I am looking for is help in deciding which areas to check for a back-up hotel, which I really want to get taken care of asap, and also which areas to watch to try to bid for. And be honest, am I really going to have to pay over $200 for a hotel that we will spend less than 24 hrs. in?

Any assistance will be extremely appreciated, and thank-you in advance.

Thanks, I've been thinking about that one or the Sleep Inn. And thanks for the parksleepfly site, never heard of it but will definitely look.

Can anyone tell me just how far some of these towns are from MIA? I'm having a really hard time trying to figure this all out, at least as far as distances.

Coral Gables

North Miami

Miami Lakes

Fort Lauderdale

Miami Beach

I would check hotels in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove.

Hotel rates will be insane downtown (boat show 150,000 people) and Miami Beaches that weekend.

The further you get away from the tourist areas, the less expensive your hotel but also remember the higher the cab ride to port.

Can anyone tell me just how far some of these towns are from MIA? I'm having a really hard time trying to figure this all out, at least as far as distances.

Coral Gables

North Miami

Miami Lakes

Fort Lauderdale

Miami Beach

All of the citys except Ft Lauderdale border Miami on one side or the other ,but that doesn't mean that they are close to the port. Miami Beach is east of Miami on the other side of Biscayne Bay, and connected by six or seven causeways. Ft lauderdale is about 20 miles north of Miami but could be closer than the far edges of some of the others. If you are going to rent a car all are doable.Taxi fare to the port from some of them would be pretty expensive. You need to get a map of So. Fl. as the metro area covers a lot of territory. A bargain motel far away from the port may not be as much of a bargain if you add cab fare. Generally car rental in Fl is reasonable and most do not have a drop off charge, but all do not service the port. Hope this helps. Bill

Thanks to all.

Would it make any sense for us to look at FLL hotels and then cab or shuttle it to MIA for our departure the next day? Or would the cost of our transportation completely negate any savings that we might find on a hotel?

I just cannot believe the prices of some of these hotels--even when the Republican National convention was here in the Twin Cities, rates around this area were nowhere near these! I realize that MN. is not FL., but I guess that I am just in "sticker shock". Again, thanks for any input, I do appreciate it.

From our past expierence, you have to get north of Ft lauderdale to find any large decrease in motel prices. There are shuttles that go from Ft Lauderdale to POM and seem to be reasonable. We drive down and stay between Ft Pierce and West Palm as a rule. If you are going to be there for a day and a half or two days before you cruise , I would look into renting a car. It will expand the area motel searches and give you a chance to see a little of beautiful So. FL. You do not say which airport you are coming into, to cab further away from the POM and then shuttle or cab back to the port would add a lot to your total price. Don't mean to be negative, but So. FL. in Jan., Feb., and Mar. is high season and expensive even without major events being held. Bill

Thanks to all.

Would it make any sense for us to look at FLL hotels and then cab or shuttle it to MIA for our departure the next day? Or would the cost of our transportation completely negate any savings that we might find on a hotel?

I just cannot believe the prices of some of these hotels--even when the Republican National convention was here in the Twin Cities, rates around this area were nowhere near these! I realize that MN. is not FL., but I guess that I am just in "sticker shock". Again, thanks for any input, I do appreciate it.

February is peak season for South Florida and your dates are peak season within peak season.

No offense but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Peak season in South Florida means rates will be comparable from Palm Beach to Key West.

Staying west will help you out on rates somewhat but staying north isn't really going to help. Whatever you save will be eaten up by transportations costs.

Beware of hotels that are significantly less expensive than the normal. In other words, if you are finding Comfort Inns, Days Inns, La Quintas around $200 per night, be leary of hotels charging less.

I would bite the bullet and book something in Coral Gables or Coconut Grove or MIA on hotwire.

Hi,

I go to the Ft. Lauderdale area every February and have to bit the bullet so we can visit our kids. We stay at a Courtyard By Marriott that DOUBLES the price in February. Blueherons is right -- that is prime time for Florida. Do you have Marriott points? We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay last time we took a ship out of Miami using points. It was convenient and a snap to get to the port. If not, go on Priceline or one of the other sites to check out hotels in that area. Go to AAA and pick up a map of the Miami area so you will know how far away from the port the areas are.

Sheila

That's a very, very tough weekend. I'm already booked a few years in advance for that particular weekend. I suspect you're going to look well outside of downtown Miami and Miami Beach for anything reasonable, and remember "reasonable" is a relative term when it comes to hotels in Miami in February.

Many thanks to all!

And Bill also to you, sorry that I never mentioned that we are flying into MIA. on the 29th of Jan. and already have our hotel for pre cruise, this room will be for one night post cruise. This is the first time that we have ever stayed an extra night after a cruise and wouldn't you know, we pick probably one of the worst times of the year!

All things aside, without all of this information, I may have made a big mistake in booking our room. I will do my best to use all of these insider tips now to get us that room. No sense in finishing out our Azamara cruise on a down note by booking a less than desirable place just to save money. After all--we are getting that fuel supplement back!

Thanks again folks!

Luvseadays, I would check the surronding areas as well if you are just staying one day precruise you are really looking for some place to get a little rest and a meal before. There are some decent transfers companies that have been mentioned here that offer good rates.

Also flying into FLL rather then Miami tends to be cheaper, atleast it was for me. So that may also save you a few more dollars

Hi,

I go to the Ft. Lauderdale area every February and have to bit the bullet so we can visit our kids. We stay at a Courtyard By Marriott that DOUBLES the price in February. Blueherons is right -- that is prime time for Florida. Do you have Marriott points? We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay last time we took a ship out of Miami using points. It was convenient and a snap to get to the port. If not, go on Priceline or one of the other sites to check out hotels in that area. Go to AAA and pick up a map of the Miami area so you will know how far away from the port the areas are.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

We're considering the Marriott Biscayne Bay for our precruise stay in July. Would you recommend it?

Archived