LA layover for PG cruise

robinson

We have just been told by our TA that we will not be getting the complimentary layover in LA since we have booked a pre-cruise stay at the Intercontinental in Tahiti. The situation seems to be that since we are not flying direct to Tahiti and boarding the ship, the air schedules may not necessitate the overnight. We surely do not want to fly from North Carolina to Tahiti without a layover. Has this happened to other cruisers?? Thanks for your replies.

Our experience was different on each of our two trips to FP. 2001 we arrived into LAX early and were provided a day room at the Hilton, on the way back we had an overnight at the Hilton before continuing on to New Orleans.

2003, we got right off the plane from DFW and right onto the plane to Papeete, ditto on the return. We had the same itinerary both times, a precruise at the BB Le Meridien then the PG. I guess it just depends.

It's hard to say why some get a layover, some don't. I did 2 PG's, both with pre-cruise stayovers. I got a one-night in LA, once didn't, both basically the same flights all-around - who knows how it works... probably has something to do with the amount of time between US and international legs of flights... :confused:

Robinson:

Unless ATN and other carriers from LAX to Tahiti have drastically changed their schedules, I just don't see how your trip over is going to work without an LA overnight. When we booked the PG "free air" in Feb. '02 and '03, the only available LA to Tahiti flight available for us left LAX at noon or 1:00 PM approximately. That meant that one must be at LAX by about 9:00 AM to go through all the mess associated with airports these days. We live in Okla., and there were (and are) no flights that could get us to LAX by that time. I can't see how it would be different from N. Carolina. So unless there is a much later LAX to Tahiti flight that you are on, you have a connection problem and need to call your TA pronto!

Thanks,

Richard:confused:

Richard, I thought the same thing, until I went on ATN & expedia to see if they

could get me to LA from Georiga in time to catch the Papeete flight..If you check

weekdays there are now two flights leaving LAX one at 1 pm the other at 2:45 pm

and yes RSSC would fly me straight through..r/wes

Oh, wow, I was not aware of the 2:45pm flight that is now available. When we went in August RSSC originally booked us all the way from Detroit (departing about 6:50am) in one day with impossible connection times in both Chicago and LA. I called my TA and within a few hours our flights were changed and we got a complimentary overnight in LA. If the 2:45pm flight had been available then I suspect we would have been in for a very long day!

Basically the rule is that if Radisson can get you there in time to make a flight to Tahiti or anywhere else for that matter, you do NOT get a free layover. If they feel they cannot get you there in time then you DO get a free layover.

The term is "forced overnight" so if there is no other way and you are "forced" to spend the night then you get it complimentary. With the new flight time there will be far less "forced" overnights.

Sometimes there are cities that were right on the "edge". DFW where I live was one of them. In most cases they felt they needed to send people out the night before. However, at times they would bring them in on the same day. I have seen inconsistencies in that case.

Archived