Brilliance of the Seas Easter Sailing Mini Review--Panama Canal

isujim

Just back yesterday from the Easter Sailing 10 day Panama Canal on the Brilliance. We followed Stretch and his group by about a month. I wanted to report on a few things that came up in his review as we experienced them one month later.

Kids.....466 on this Easter Cruise and they really were no problem.....only one time in 10 days did I walk on an Elevator and every floor was punched. I had more problems with some older (much older) cruisers. Also, I don't know why......I only saw about 15 walkie talkies all week.....I'm telling you, I don't know where the kids were, but they weren't near the adults.......

Service: The best we ever had....we are early risers and our stateroom was made up every morning by 8:30am and our room was made ready for bed every evening by the time we got back from early seating.....now was it because we had a Grand Suite?? Who knows.......I'm just saying out of 7 RC cruisers this was the best service we ever had.

We did talk to our suite attendant and she said they were overworked........in fact the assistants they used to have were eliminated with Stretch's cruise......I didn't know this but those were company paid positions....now if they want an assistant, the cabin steward must now pay for this out of their tips......and none are really available.

Also, a suite attendant now gets $5.75pp per day instead of $3.50........I have no complaint with this because our service as I mentioned was great but it was a surprise because we didn't know but had plenty of cash to offset this.

FOOD: I saw no difference from 6 months ago or 12 months ago. In fact, it was the exact same menu for 7 of the 10 days when we sailed on the Rhapsody in September. It was just about the same menu as our 10 day Splendour cruise last April.........Now, I'm not a very picky eater......I'm just saying the food quality was the same in my opinion and not less......but it wasn't improved either. In fact, if anything, I think their deserts have gone down a notch since last year.

The Ship: WOW! First time on a Radiance class ship and this was our favorite.........and since we personally experienced great service we will book her again.

For Diamond members or those in suites the concierge lounge was our favorite place to go. Quiet with a great view.......Cris did a great job.

As for the Panama Canal itself, it was a great experience. If you haven't seen it you must!

I don't want a long drawn out review so I'll end and answer any questions anyone may have.

Maybe after a month, they are getting their act together and are learning how to do more with less.......or we were just very lucky.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Until our Brilliance Easter cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;4;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Golden Princess cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;7;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Hawaii on Inifinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Jim, I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your cruise. I know you had some concerns after reading recent reviews, and it's good to hear that you didn't encounter any problems. Sounds like you might be a Radiance-class convert. Welcome to the club! icon_smile.gif

Karen

Read my 2/6/04 Brilliance review

Infinity in... countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Brilliance 6/05

Infinity 12/04

Brilliance 2/04

Adventure 11/03

Brilliance 2/03

Grand Princess 3/02

Dawn Princess 11/01

Ocean Princess 5/00

Isujim,

Good coverage of the basics! I found the food comments interesting -- I will check out those desserts on Splendour icon_biggrin.gif

Should I now book Brilliance while aboard Splendour? icon_rolleyes.gif Oh, I do get myself into trouble, don't I? icon_razz.gif Isujim, you are helping me to feel "that anxiety" --

I now need to experience the Brilliance! Thanks! icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

Bookit

Hi,

I was on the Brilliance with Jim & want to echo his comments. We had a great time, and enjoyed the food, ship and service. First time on radiance class, & I loved it.

I too am glad to answer any questions...

Mary

QE2: 2003 & 1987

AOS: 2002

NE or SOA: 2003, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1986

Cunard Princess: 1989

Home Lines Atlantic: 1988

HAL Viendam: 1984

SS United States: 1968

until the Brilliance of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;4;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'm happy to read another good review of the Brilliance. I'm sailing on her 1/14/05 and was getting nervous with everything I read about her.

I'm in junior suite are the recommend tips still $3.50 per day for this category? This is probably a stupid questions why are the tips higher in other suites? Is it because they are bigger and attendants have less cabins?

Happy Cruiser

Brillance of the Seas Panama canal Jan2005

Radiance of the Seas Thanksgiving 2004

Vision of the Seas Oct 2004

Radiance of the Seas Jan 2004

Adventure of the Seas Nov 2003 25 th Anniversary

Enchantment Oct 2002

Rhapsody Alaska Aug 2001

Horizon Bermuda July 2000

Sovereign Jan 1996 and November 1991

Monarch Nov 1993

Majesty Nov 1992

QE2 transatlantic July 1986

Countess March 1986

Thanks for the great review! I am sailing with Iscole on the 1/14/05 sailing and I was wondering if you could tell us a little about what you thought about the itinerary and what shore excursions you did. Thanks!

RCL~Navigator 8/2003, Majesty 7/2003, Radiance 4/2003, Monarch 8/2002, Nordic Empress 8/2001

Celebrity~Century 7/2001 & 7/1998, Horizon 7/1991

Future Cruises:

Legend of the Seas 5/7/2004

Enchantment of the Seas 8/30/2004

Brilliance of the Seas 1/14/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;7;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Till Hawaii on the Legend of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till Belize on the Enchantment of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;1;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till the Panama Canal on Brilliance of the Seas!

Iscole:

Yes, it is still $3.50 per day pp on the junior suites.......as for why it is more for B suites or higher, I don't know. Larger cabin makes more sense but I really didn't ask.

Our service was excellant so I didn't mind paying the extra.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;7;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Bookit:

I would definetly book a Radiance class ship at least once so you can experience it.....it really isn't that much bigger than the Vision class ships and is newer with more bells and whistles.......

If you think the B suites are nice on the vision class ships.....wait till you see the radiance class ship B suites! icon_biggrin.gif

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Jim - Welcome Home!! It sounds like your cruise could not have been any better. Thanks so much for sharing. My list of "must cruises" keeps growing, LOL.

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England

RCI - Mariner of the Seas,

Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)

Carnival Miracle -February 2005

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005

Celebrity Mercury, April 2005

hardingk,

I am mrs. isujim. We had some wonderful tours.

In Grand Cayman we arranged for a private tour with Mindy at BKM Limited. bkm@bkmlimited.com

We went to the turtle farm, blow holes, hell. We had been to Cayman several times. Since it was Easter Sunday, most shops were closed. This tour worked out great for us.

In Aruba we hired a van and driver. Elvis took us to the Natural Bridge, to Casabari Rock, and a great tour of the island. We were in an air conditioned van. There are a lot of cars and van to your left when you get off the ship. Most prices are the same. I think ours was 25pp for 2 hours.

We had arranged to go on the two ocean journey through the cruise line at Panama. It didn't work out that we could go. There was a medical emergency and someone had to be evacuated from the ship. It put us into the locks late and we missed the train. RCI refunded our money. We stayed on the ship and went back through the locks. I highly recommend getting down on deck 5 with some chairs. It is truly amazing. DO NOT take the Peacock Bass Fishing tour. We heard from lots of people that it was a waste of time and money.

In Costa Rica we took Mambo tours for the Tortuguero Canal and Banana Plantation. You will definitely want to have a tour scheduled (either through the ship or privately) in Costa Rica. They have armed guards at the restaurants. We went with Mambo because they basically gave us the same tour as the ship. It was $25pp (we had a group of 25 people). The ship tour cost $85pp. Also it was COOL and rainy. Be sure to take a rain poncho. It rains every day.

Hope this answers your questions. Let us know if you have any more.

Rena

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Until our Brilliance Easter cruise

I too was on the Brilliance with Jim. He's right, we had one heck of a cruise critic group!!

Decided to add a bit of my own review onto his.

My husband and I are diamond members and checked in through the Diamond/Platinum area and once again it was slower than the normal check-in area. (Guess it just depends on when you get there.)

Jim was right about the kids - never would I have thought there were that many children on board!

Service: Ours wasn't as good as Jim's, but I think there was something going on with our cabin steward. (Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. We've had much better - and then again, we've had worse. Perish the thought!)

Agree with Jim on the Concierge Lounge. Chris was absolutely great!

There had been questions regarding how many formal nights on a 10 night cruise because our tickets said 2, but the website said 3. Emailed a question to RCI regarding the discrepancy. When I got back from the cruise I noticed that I received an email from RCI - basically saying "Oops, sorry for responding too late. Hope you had a good time." Well, so you don't have to ask RCI the same question - For your info: there were 2 formal nights; 2 smart casual nights; and all the rest were casual.

The Meet and Mingle Party was great. Just not long enough. Since we had such a large group, I think we could have used another hour! One of our group, Big John, suggested we all stand up and tell our names, so "Lucky" Pete the cruise director helped out with that.

There were so many activities on board. Never enough time to do all of them. Tip: In the Daily Compass (short version), all the activities are shown in time sequence. There were a few things listed, e.g. Destination Lecture; Enhancement Lecture; Arts & Crafts - but never gave any real info about it. Well, now that the cruise is over I've found out that you can learn more about this stuff by reading the Full Daily Compass and check under "Everything Else" and you'll get more detail! (Guess it's a blonde thing that I never looked further.) Oh, well, now I'll know for the next cruise.

Excursions: My husband went fishing on Gatun Lake in Panama. He was on a boat with 5 other avid fishermen. Well, with the luck(?) of the draw, they must have gotten the worst guide ever! It became a joke by the end of their "tour". I requested a refund, and received a 25% discount from the Explorations desk. I was suppose to go on the 2 ocean train in Panama, but it was pushed back an hour and a half, and wouldn't get back until 7:30. They gave everyone the option of cancelling - which is what I did since we had reservations for the Mystery Dinner in Portofino's at 7. In Costa Rica I went on a Tortuguero Canal tour with the cruise critic group that one of our members, Jenny, put together with Mario from Mambo tours. It was cool and rainy that day. Luckily Mambo tours had given out rain ponchos at least. There were quite a few people on other boats who were not given rain ponchos and got quite drenched. (Well, some of our group got quite wet also - but that's another story.)

The Mystery Dinner at Portofino's was quite good. This was my first mystery dinner and didn't know what to expect. I enjoyed it. But, if you want more info, you can ask Mary (above), because she's put on a few of these mystery dinners herself.

Oh, right after we came back through the locks in Panama, we sighted a 12-14 foot crocodile sunning himself on the bank! Whoohoo!

Marianne

Royal Caribbean - 23

Carnival - 11; NCL - 9

Princess - 4; Costa - 2

Disney - 1; Celebrity - 1

Other now defunct lines - 18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Our Jewel of the Seas Canada/NE Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Our Brilliance Christmas Cruise

Nanarena(mrs.isujim) & cruising fool,

I am interested to hear more about this peacock bass fishing trip. What was wrong with it? Did noone catch any fish? Did the guide not know where to go? Boat too crowded? What?

Unfortunately for me, this was the big hook to convince my husband to go! He LOVES to fish!!! He has always wanted to go peacock bass fishing too! His aunt was in the military in Panama about 10 years ago and told of the wonderful trips she took peacock bass fishing, and even brought a few back stuffed and mantled for the wall. I don't know how I'm going to tell my DH that the trip may not be worth the moulah! Thanks for any advice you have!

Carnival Festivale 8/95

RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/24/04--SEE MY REVIEW AT http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=7683004077

RCI Brilliance of the Seas 1/14/05

WE CAN'T WAIT TIL WE SAIL AGAIN!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

vosssjemi: This is what I wrote (in my husband's name) to the Explorations Desk regarding the Peacock Bass Fishing:

The boat I was on had myself and 5 other avid fishermen. We knew we were in trouble when:

1. The guide had to open a book to learn how to bait the hook.

2. The bait was only 2 to 2 1/2 inches

3. The guide used an empty soda bottle as a tackle box.

4. We ran out of sinkers, hooks and beer within an hour.

5. We drove around the lake to the other boats to get sinkers, hooks and beer.

6. Lost fish at boat due to fishing line being brittle and breaking.

This tour might have been fine for a beginner fisherman, but not for the experienced. Please make a note for future tours.

My husband had been looking forward to this fishing trip also. It was so bad, that at the end they just started laughing about it. They figured the only other thing that could happen next was for the boat to sink!

His boat was one of about 6 other boats. Maybe the other boats did better with their guide. Maybe the other boats had inexperienced fishermen. Haven't heard anything from the other boats.

This was the last trip to the Panama Canal for the Brilliance until this Fall. Hopefully they will have fixed the problem by then.

We will be back on the Brilliance for the Christmas/New Years cruise. Doubt that my husband will try the fishing again unless they give it to him for free! But he is looking into fishing on his own in Costa Rica.

If you need any more info, you can contact me directly at: melucas@adelphia.net

Marianne

Royal Caribbean - 23

Carnival - 11; NCL - 9

Princess - 4; Costa - 2

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Cruisingfool,

Thanks for your comments on the peacock bass tour. I'll let my DH know so he can decide whether or not he wants to waste the $100! Maybe we'll look into a private fishing excursion in Costa Rica as well as we haven't decided what we are going to do there. Since you are going on the Brilliance again before me, please let us know if you hear the good/bad/ugly from anyone about the fishing on your next trip. Thanks!

Carnival Festivale 8/95

RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/24/04--SEE MY REVIEW AT http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=7683004077

RCI Brilliance of the Seas 1/14/05

WE CAN'T WAIT TIL WE SAIL AGAIN!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nanarena:

In Costa Rica we took Mambo tours for the Tortuguero Canal and Banana Plantation. You will definitely want to have a tour scheduled (either through the ship or privately) in Costa Rica. They have armed guards at the restaurants. We went with Mambo because they basically gave us the same tour as the ship. It was $25pp (we had a group of 25 people). The ship tour cost $85pp. Also it was COOL and rainy. Be sure to take a rain poncho. It rains every day.

Rena<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you arrange the Mambo tour? Do you have to have a minimum number of people?

Eleanor

Brilliance 1/14/05

Elcruzer:

One of our cruise critic folks (Jenny) arranged this via e-mail to Mambo tours......I think she got her information from the Costa Rica or Puerto Limon ports of call boards on cruise critic.......check them and see if you can find the e-mail adress.....if not, feel free to go to the Roll Call Boards and check our April 9th Roll Call thread and leave Jenny a post for the e-mail adress......sorry I couldn't be more help, but she arranged the whole thing.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

NANARENA, Just out of curiosity, how much was the tour in Grand Cayman? A co-worker of mine is going in late May & they were interested in going to the Turtle Farm, but also wanted to get a view of all the points of interest on the island. I believe they have aprox 10 people who may want to go, did the tour guide have a van or just a car? Were they quick to respond when you emailed them? Thanks....... icon_biggrin.gif

<marquee> HAPPY SAILS TO ALL.........

Oceanic 1994

Noordam 1996

Fantasy 1997

Century 1999

Sensation 1999

Fantasy 2000

Sensation 2000

Sensation 2001

Zenith 2002

Summit Feb 2003

Sensation Aug 2003

Millenium Nov 2003</MARQUEE>

Cherylann,

Mindy always responded the same day that we emailed her. She rented a van. There were six people. Our cost was $180.00 total for three hours. The Turtle Farm was an extra charge of $6.00pp for adults. Hell and the blow holes were free.

You can tell her that Jim and Big John recommended her.

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Elcruzer: I was on that Costa Rica tour and was impressed, so I made sure that I stopped and got Mario's business card. Here's the info: Mambo Tour Agency; Mario Anderson, Tour Manager; Port Limon, Costa Rica; email: Mambotur@hotmail.com; Fax: (506)798-15-42; Phone: (506) 398-56-73

Marianne

Royal Caribbean - 23

Carnival - 11; NCL - 9

Princess - 4; Costa - 2

Marianne to the rescue!!

Thanks.......hope you and Herb and doing well and have all the laundry done!! LOL! icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

I'll help when I can!

Laundry done. Not cleaning the house anymore. Too hazardous to my health. lol

Marianne

Royal Caribbean - 23

Carnival - 11; NCL - 9

Princess - 4; Costa - 2

Hi,

We are thinking of either doing this itinerary or a full transit for Jan or feb 2005. Do you actually go into the canal to experience the locks with this itinerary.

Thanks.Linda

Linda:

Yes, you actually go through just the first set of locks at Gatun.......then the ship will anchor in Gatun Lake and get everyone who has excursions off the ship and the will go back through the Gatun Locks.

Hope this helps.........we are planning to go back and take a cruise through the entire Panama Canal.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Cruising Fool, when were you able to sign up for the mystery dinner at Portofino's - before the cruise or after you boarded? Thanks.

Cruise #7 - Brilliance of the Seas - 02/25/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;2;25;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

mellow: Unfortunately you have to wait until you board the ship. Not sure when my husband signed us up. Possibly 3rd day on the ship. We were one of the last people to sign up for it. They put you at tables according to when you sign up. But don't worry, it doesn't really matter on where you sit because every seat is a good seat. Just sign up before the end of the first sea day to make sure you get a reservation.

Marianne

Royal Caribbean - 23

Carnival - 11; NCL - 9

Princess - 4; Costa - 2

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Our Radiance Thanksgiving Cruisecountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived