Luggage transfer from airline to ship

dcappa

We booked our air travel through our TA and not through the cruiseline. We fly into FLL the night before our cruise. Am I correct in assuming that our checked baggage will be sent from the airport to the ship, and that we don't have pick it up and take it with us, ourselves?

I know we will be responsible for our carry on items, but I just wanted to make sure that the checked baggage will be taken care of from the time we check it at home, until we are happily reunited with it, in the hallway outside our stateroom. :)

Probably a silly question...but you know us first time cruisers :rolleyes:

WRONG !!! You must claim your luggage at the airport and take it with you. First, the cruiseline doesn't have people at the airport the night before the cruise and second, even if you were flying in the morning of the cruise, you still have to claim your luggage. Years ago, the cruise lines would pull your luggage at the airport and send it to the ship. NO MORE. If you don't pick up your luggage it will spend the week at the lost luggage office in Ft. L.

I think this way is much better---you will KNOW if your luggage arrived! When the cruiseline used to pick up your bags for you, you were never sure if the luggage had made it, since often the ship would be underway before your bags arrived in your room! That always worried me!

At least, this way, you KNOW if you have all of your stuff!

Also, pack so that if you lose a bag you are still ok.

We have been on several cruises where we have meet people that lost there lugage. One had the bags unloaded from their car by the porters and it never made it to the ship. No other ship in port and it was with hundreds of bags. Just can't tell what might happen.

Remember to have a tag on the bags that give the date and the name of your hotel and another that gives the date and ship data. Cell phone number will also help.

So, once we get to the ship and are prepared to board, are we also responsible to take all of our luggage on board as well? Or is there a place/porters that will take our luggage and we'll find it by our room later? I'm sure my questions sound stupid, but I just want to be sure. I simply can't imagine dragging 4 bags around the ship with us until we are able to get into our room. I'd like to assume we check our luggage with someone (shy of a bag with stuff we might need until we do get into our room, like pool attire etc). Am I correct on this one?

So, once we get to the ship and are prepared to board, are we also responsible to take all of our luggage on board as well? Or is there a place/porters that will take our luggage and we'll find it by our room later? I'm sure my questions sound stupid, but I just want to be sure. I simply can't imagine dragging 4 bags around the ship with us until we are able to get into our room. I'd like to assume we check our luggage with someone (shy of a bag with stuff we might need until we do get into our room, like pool attire etc). Am I correct on this one?

Sort of right. when you arrive at the ship, you will check your luggage just as you did at the airport and it is delivered to your cabin.

You can carry on whatever you wish yourself, so be sure to bring aboard all meds and a change of clothes while your checked luggage is being delivered to your cabin. (It may be delivered instantly, or it could be after dinner; it's hard to predict when.) Your cabin should be ready when you board, but if not, you'll know when you do your document check.

Also, as another precaution, we cross pack. My DH puts half of his outfits in my suitcase, and I put half of mine in his. That way, if one of our suitcases takes a different vacation than we do, we will each have clothes to wear for the week.

Have a great cruise!

Archived