Buying wine in New York

ahoys

I need some advice from experts. My husband and I are staying in the Times Square area (Hilton Garden Inn) before our Triumph cruise in June. We'd like to bring two bottles of good quality wine (not awfully expensive, but nice) and need some suggestions of places to look for it. Can anyone give us an idea of someplace not too far away from our hotel?

Astor will deliver and is very good also good is the 67th street wine store which will also deliver.....

both have websites so you can pre -order and are open most days(liquor stores in NY may open on Sunday now as well after 11:00 am)

http://www.astorwines.com/Default.aspx?c=1

http://www.67wine.com/sku008927.html

Buying wine in NY is not difficult, you purchase wine in "Liquor Stores". There is one on practically every other block. The above posters are more knowledgeable about wine than I am, I am sure. I was going to tell you to purchase the NY Daily News, and then look for ads from Buy Rite liquor store cooperative. They run sales. :D

I guess going to Trader Joe's and getting Three Buck Chuck is out. ;)

not in New York. they have to be separate stores(separate entrances and ownership and licensing issues to sell wine-they can sell beer with a beer license) The store in Brooklyn doesn't sell wine yet...(they are working on the separate store)although they do sell beer.

not in New York. they have to be separate stores(separate entrances and ownership and licensing issues to sell wine-they can sell beer with a beer license) The store in Brooklyn doesn't sell wine yet...(they are working on the separate store)although they do sell beer.

Trader Joe's in Manhattan sells wine. It's a separate store next to the food store.

However, I don't like their selection and don't recommend it to the OP's who want something special.

Trader Joe's in Manhattan sells wine. It's a separate store next to the food store.

However, I don't like their selection and don't recommend it to the OP's who want something special.

True, but there are always posters who want some cheap wine to sneak on board.:D That Trader Joe stuff always gives me a headache.

I was being sarcastic about the Three Buck Chuck since the OP said she wants nice wine. I guess it's hard to tell sarcasm in written things. ;)

I realize you were being sarcastic about the 3 buck chuck. That didn't go over my head at all. ;)

However, I was talking about their other wines. I don't think their selection is very good, especially for people looking for something special.

I realize you were being sarcastic about the 3 buck chuck. That didn't go over my head at all. ;)

However, I was talking about their other wines. I don't think their selection is very good, especially for people looking for something special.

I didn't know Trader Joe's sold wine other than three buck chuck. Shows how much I know.

In all seriousness, it will not be hard to find a liquor store in Manhattan.

ps the New York State Governor just announced that he has proposed allowing stores with Beer licenses to sell wine as well.....but it is just a proposal. The Mom and Pop liquor stores in NY(NY law prohibits chain ownership of liquor stores) will fight this very hard. Almost al liquor stores are owned by different small families in NY. The liquor ad you see for "Buy rite" is a cooperative ad among many stores independently owned.

Kathy,

I think you'll get something great from Union Square. They have a lot of choices in all price ranges.

One new wine I really like is called Rouge Bleu. It's a brand new vinyard in France, and Union Sq. is the only shop in NY that sells it. It's about $17. a bottle. Not "enough" for your very special night, but I suggest trying it for another night.

I've been following the winemaker's blog since he bought is winery two years ago, and when he had a tasting in Union Sq. Wine Shop, about 100 of us showed up to taste. Fortunately I liked it...a lot!

http://a-la-recherche-du-vin.*****.com/rouge_bleu/

Archived